Notifications
Clear all

Odds Of Hair Loss On Accutane?

MemberMember
(@mahweeoh)

Posted : 06/18/2012 1:25 pm

So I'm still debating the pro's and cons of Accutane. Couldn't help it as many threads caught my eye. I guess they weren't kidding when they said deciding whether to go on it is more difficult than taking it. Glad people ignored my "omg I'm taking Accutane now I've DECIDED" thread.

So I guess my question is...is hair loss inevitable on Accutane? To reiterate, I am 23-years-old and female. I have read that females have an easier time...but often times the hair loss still thins hair considerably. Is it inevitable or just a "possible" side effects? I don't think I could deal with something like that in addition to having skin issues.

Just looking for a bit of insight. This is such a tough decision to make in reality...

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 06/18/2012 2:02 pm

It is possible, I am on my 4th month and I still have all my hair. I am chatting with quite a few people on these logs and none of us have lost hair.

MemberMember
(@mahweeoh)

Posted : 06/18/2012 2:13 pm

It is possible, I am on my 4th month and I still have all my hair. I am chatting with quite a few people on these logs and none of us have lost hair.

Oh ok thanks for your reply! So you do not notice any increase in hair loss? Are you on a low dose of Accutane?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 06/18/2012 2:31 pm

Nope I don't notice any difference with my hair actually. I have been taking good care of my scalp and making sure not to dry it out with shampooing daily. Once your oil production is slowed down you can go days with needing to wash your hair. So I wash my hair every other day or every 2 days and I don't let shampoo sit in my hair longer than it needs too, and I use a deep conditioner once a week and let that sit in for about 10 minutes. Otherwise I use my normal conditioner and let it sit in for about 10 minutes too. I also started taking Biotin supplements the week I started and I think that those have helped. I know one thing since I have started taking Biotin my hair grows very fast. Like a inch a month, its crazy!

I am not on a low dose. My first 2 months I was at 40MG daily and since then I have been on 60 MG since then and will continue at 60 MG the rest of my 6 month course. Do you plan on doing a low dose course?

MemberMember
(@mahweeoh)

Posted : 06/18/2012 7:13 pm

Nope I don't notice any difference with my hair actually. I have been taking good care of my scalp and making sure not to dry it out with shampooing daily. Once your oil production is slowed down you can go days with needing to wash your hair. So I wash my hair every other day or every 2 days and I don't let shampoo sit in my hair longer than it needs too, and I use a deep conditioner once a week and let that sit in for about 10 minutes. Otherwise I use my normal conditioner and let it sit in for about 10 minutes too. I also started taking Biotin supplements the week I started and I think that those have helped. I know one thing since I have started taking Biotin my hair grows very fast. Like a inch a month, its crazy!

I am not on a low dose. My first 2 months I was at 40MG daily and since then I have been on 60 MG since then and will continue at 60 MG the rest of my 6 month course. Do you plan on doing a low dose course?

Very cool. I'll look into biotin ( I'm also very much into supplementation ) and some other things, like my dad calls "green stuff" which is chlorophyll, like barely grass and all that stuff. I would love to low dose if possible ( 20 mg ) however I don't know if a derm would go for it, or even if it's feasible for making the acne not return. For the record, I would still keep my dairy products to a minimum ( I do NO dairy now ) so I wonder if that's what makes some people's acne come back because of the hormones in inside it. But I would love to at least eat a dang coconut ice cream once in a while, or order a damn burger at the local steak and seafood place with bread that MIGHT have the tiniest trace of milk ( yes that even sets me off ) and it's ridiculous that I can't even do that...thus the impossibility of gaining weight. Coconut ice cream has no dairy yet somehow it breaks me out ( no sugar either ) I even had to cut out yummy stuff like that, probably because some has chocolate.

It's just quite depressing after many years, ya know? You do everything healthy yet it doesn't work. It also creates social awkwardness having to refuse the entire food chain...It's just not going to work when I get into my career and have to eat out once in a while. Also, I travel a lot with my boyfriend's family and well, when you have to eat on the road i'd be handy to at LEAST be able to eat some chicken strips that might have a small trace of milk. It's such a problem I intend to stay away from the heavy things like ice cream and such. I still want to maintain a healthy lifestyle for life. But I'd like to awake in the morning...not afraid to face my boyfriend. In fact, I don't think he's ever seen me with bare skin. And most importantly of all...I want to gain my 15 lbs BACK.

Thanks for listening to me rant a little. Ha ha. I appreciate your input so much. I like to condition my hair with some carrot conditioner ( I think it's from Sweden ) and it's pretty gentle on my hair. Was gonna cut it short, but maybe I'll leave it long for now. I'd like to go a while without washing hair...guess you can wet it. Can you style your hair with a hairdryer with no issue's?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 06/18/2012 8:51 pm

Yeah I have no problems with hair drying, I let it air dry when I have the time. I have gotten my hair foiled while taking the medication too and it didn't fry my hair or anything..

Some people really swear by low dose and others swear by cumulative dose. Either way it seems to end up working.

MemberMember
(@mahweeoh)

Posted : 06/18/2012 9:03 pm

Yeah I have no problems with hair drying, I let it air dry when I have the time. I have gotten my hair foiled while taking the medication too and it didn't fry my hair or anything..

Some people really swear by low dose and others swear by cumulative dose. Either way it seems to end up working.

That's very positive to hear. Now that I think about it, I can always stop if I have too many issue's...although I'd like to finish it up if possible. Would love to save an hour or more of my life every day NOT doing make up. Where are the logs where everyone's chatting if I may ask? I feel a little lost on the Accutane boards sometimes.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 06/18/2012 9:09 pm

Go to community up top then message boards then accutane logs! We are all there :)

MemberMember
(@electroswing)

Posted : 06/18/2012 9:40 pm

I'm 22 on my fourth month on accutane and no hair loss :) I use all the shampoo/conditionner drying methods I have used in the past. :)

MemberMember
(@mahweeoh)

Posted : 06/19/2012 11:34 am

Thanks guys for your replies! They are helpful in my decision making process. I have a good amount of hair and eat very healthy ( hair grows too fast ) so I think I should be ok anyway.

MemberMember
(@maximabella)

Posted : 06/21/2012 2:08 pm

I have experienced hairloss. Im at just starting month 4 right now and it started about 2 months into treatment. My hair is SOOO dry. I am normally a very oily haired person, but now I dont even need to wash. My hair has become SO dry that its, snapping, breaking, and whole strands occasionally falling out. I have pretty long hair. I am taking biotin and fish oil to try and combat this...sucks..but im dealing

MemberMember
(@mahweeoh)

Posted : 06/21/2012 3:20 pm

I have experienced hairloss. Im at just starting month 4 right now and it started about 2 months into treatment. My hair is SOOO dry. I am normally a very oily haired person, but now I dont even need to wash. My hair has become SO dry that its, snapping, breaking, and whole strands occasionally falling out. I have pretty long hair. I am taking biotin and fish oil to try and combat this...sucks..but im dealing

Oh gosh. How much hair do you lose on it? Is it just strands or clumps? I'm sorry to ask something personal...it helps in looking at the big picture.

MemberMember
(@prettypsych)

Posted : 06/21/2012 7:13 pm

You may want to refer to my post. It is pretty detailed and may give you a good idea of what you may expect. I do know two people that used accutane without hair loss. But please do your research well before you decide to use it.

/> http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/316406-hope-for-accutane-hair-loss/

MemberMember
(@maximabella)

Posted : 06/25/2012 11:06 am

Oh gosh. How much hair do you lose on it? Is it just strands or clumps? I'm sorry to ask something personal...it helps in looking at the big picture.

its strands, my hair feels like a snarly dry thinning mess, at first glance, most people probably wouldnt notice that know me that its thinning...and i suppose a stranger couldnt tell either, but I sure can. I always think of my hair as one of my best features, so its a bummer for me!! I think its an all over strands sorta thing, not clumps...when I brush my hair over the sink, I can see the broken peices on the counter, etc, they are anywhere from say 4 inches, to 0, snapped off peices....

I didnt even notice it at first but when my hair stylist was coloring me, she pointed out all my breakage on the back of my head, mid line...

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 06/27/2012 4:58 pm

my former roommate nearly went bald on her first course of accutane. she actually had bald patches. not sure how high her dosage was.

her acne was fairly severe. she did finish out the course because she lost her hair in a really big shed, and figured so much was gone that she might as well finish the accutane.

her hair did grow back, but she says it remains thinner than it was (3 years later)

MemberMember
(@mahweeoh)

Posted : 06/28/2012 9:52 pm

Oh boy. Seeing these side effects makes me think that putting up with acne scars are more worth it. :X

MemberMember
(@mrjarjarbinks77)

Posted : 07/09/2012 1:29 am

Oh boy. Seeing these side effects makes me think that putting up with acne scars are more worth it. sick.gif

I got family watching over me for hairloss or thinning. I am considering buying rogaine just to be safe in case. I can't say I agree with you. Walking around with a face full of crater scars is not something I am pound to tolerate. I have a few and its very upsetting. More recently, a girl said its a "turn on and arousing" which seems weird. She defended it saying its "manly?" Think about it. You could always come off of it if you noticed anything or you could shave your head man.

MemberMember
(@mahweeoh)

Posted : 07/09/2012 8:07 pm

Oh boy. Seeing these side effects makes me think that putting up with acne scars are more worth it. sick.gif

I got family watching over me for hairloss or thinning. I am considering buying rogaine just to be safe in case. I can't say I agree with you. Walking around with a face full of crater scars is not something I am pound to tolerate. I have a few and its very upsetting. More recently, a girl said its a "turn on and arousing" which seems weird. She defended it saying its "manly?" Think about it. You could always come off of it if you noticed anything or you could shave your head man.

I would shave sir, but I'm afraid I'm a girl and it wouldn't look very becoming. However, I do agree that a face full of that isn't fun...and while mine isn't severe, it's moderate enough and quite embarrassing to be the only person around here with acne with two families I interact with.

MemberMember
(@mrjarjarbinks77)

Posted : 07/09/2012 11:29 pm

I would shave sir, but I'm afraid I'm a girl and it wouldn't look very becoming. However, I do agree that a face full of that isn't fun...and while mine isn't severe, it's moderate enough and quite embarrassing to be the only person around here with acne with two families I interact with.

Just accept your circumstance and make a decision on the type of treatment you want. If you want the organic, holistic, natural approach, be my guest or go the medication, antibiotic, topical ointment, and or accutane route. Each comes with circumstances but, we just got to accept ourselves regardless. I am learning to be content.

MemberMember
(@mahweeoh)

Posted : 07/11/2012 2:43 pm

Just accept your circumstance and make a decision on the type of treatment you want. If you want the organic, holistic, natural approach, be my guest or go the medication, antibiotic, topical ointment, and or accutane route. Each comes with circumstances but, we just got to accept ourselves regardless. I am learning to be content.

Ok then. I've tried organic approach but for years it has not worked unfortunately. If only it could and I could avoid Accutane.

MemberMember
(@janana)

Posted : 07/12/2012 7:00 pm

I just picked up my 6th month of pills and didn't even start the box and quit. In month 3 or 4 I noticed I was losing a lot more hair than normal. I kept telling myself it would be ok, just tough it out. I realized when I pull my hair back, on the sides towards the top, the hair thinned so much it looks like it's receding. I showed two friends and when I said "is it bad" neither of them replied (weird they both didn't even try to lie to me, that's how I know it's bad)! I was on 40 for 2 months, 60 for 2 month, 80 for 1 month then quit. The dose was high for my weight (130 lb) but the oil kept coming back so my doctor kept increasing. My doctor first said "it's never permanent" but then changed to "it almost always comes back". She said rogaine won't help with hair loss that is medically induced, plus it can cause facial hair.

MemberMember
(@mahweeoh)

Posted : 07/12/2012 8:51 pm

I just picked up my 6th month of pills and didn't even start the box and quit. In month 3 or 4 I noticed I was losing a lot more hair than normal. I kept telling myself it would be ok, just tough it out. I realized when I pull my hair back, on the sides towards the top, the hair thinned so much it looks like it's receding. I showed two friends and when I said "is it bad" neither of them replied (weird they both didn't even try to lie to me, that's how I know it's bad)! I was on 40 for 2 months, 60 for 2 month, 80 for 1 month then quit. The dose was high for my weight (130 lb) but the oil kept coming back so my doctor kept increasing. My doctor first said "it's never permanent" but then changed to "it almost always comes back". She said rogaine won't help with hair loss that is medically induced, plus it can cause facial hair.

How can it cause facial hair? I already have a slight issue with being a little more hairy than normal, and it doesn't seem to bother me. I just want the acne gone. So I guess as long as it came back I wouldn't care much. Are you female or male? I heard females have an easier time.

MemberMember
(@janana)

Posted : 07/12/2012 9:08 pm

How can it cause facial hair? I already have a slight issue with being a little more hairy than normal, and it doesn't seem to bother me. I just want the acne gone. So I guess as long as it came back I wouldn't care much. Are you female or male? I heard females have an easier time.

I am female. Facial hair can be a side effect of minoxidil for women. I don't know how, just that it's a documented side effect. Google minoxidil facial hair women and you will get tons of hits. I guess it's seeps into local areas when you apply it. For instance, when I was using retin a micro, I would put it on my forehead. When I would get my eyebrows waxed (under the brow, i didn't use retin a there) the area was sensitive as if I had been using retin a there, and I would lose the top layer of skin (ouch!)

MemberMember
(@mahweeoh)

Posted : 07/17/2012 3:44 pm

I am female. Facial hair can be a side effect of minoxidil for women. I don't know how, just that it's a documented side effect. Google minoxidil facial hair women and you will get tons of hits. I guess it's seeps into local areas when you apply it. For instance, when I was using retin a micro, I would put it on my forehead. When I would get my eyebrows waxed (under the brow, i didn't use retin a there) the area was sensitive as if I had been using retin a there, and I would lose the top layer of skin (ouch!)

Wait why are you talking about minoxidil? I am talking about Accutane induced hair changes. Sorry if I"m confused.

MemberMember
(@user187201)

Posted : 04/21/2013 3:58 am

How is everyone going with their hairloss and dryness?

What if anything is working for you, howling has it been and what are you experiencing?

I am at an all time low, my hair is completely dead and falls out in clumps each day.

My hair was my best feature all my life until accutane.

Please give me some hope of regaining my luscious locks one day!