Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PrettyInside

Rose Hip Seed Oil For Shallow Indented Scars?

I'd like to learn about others' experience with rose hip seed oil (RHSO) for treating shallow indented scarring. Or if you've heard anything about RHSO--good or bad--I'd like to hear about it and learn of your sources.

About 14 years' ago, I was a member of an acne-focused forum, on which people were discussing RHSO as a form of treatment for scars--at least for shallow ones. One forum member stated that it takes about 4-6 months' time for scars' depth/appearance to soften from the oil, which must be massaged into the skin for about 10-15 minutes' time.

I used RHSO on one deep scar, as I wanted to diminish its appearance before my wedding. I started using the oil 4 months' prior to my wedding date, and it seemed to reduce my scar's depth. Nowadays, though, it seems as if the progress that I'd made from using RHSO has diminished on that particularly deep scar.

Currently, I have shallow rolling scars on both sides of my face and am considering trying RHSO. But I'm also trying to slowly detox my body and, thus, am breaking out more now--at age 36--than I have since I was in my early 20s. I also am prone to cysts and nodules at times and, so, am a bit nervous about the prospect of causing breakouts from using any form of oil on my face, no matter how light it is.

Thank you,

P.I.

it doesnt work.

Thats all you need to know.

P.S. Lemon juice wont work either.

P.S.S. You are going to have to spend big bucks at the doctors office

P.S.S.S. Dont let anyone convince you that acne scars can be cured naturally. They are damaged scar tissue that need professional assistance.

P.S.S.S.S Start saving up in the thousands. Cause thats how much its gonna cost. Not cutting corners in acne scar treatments.

Edited by LZOMG

Be there. Done that. I used to apply it to scars and healing skin. Did nothing for scars. Will never know if it did anything for healing skin.

Be there. Done that. I used to apply it to scars and healing skin. Did nothing for scars. Will never know if it did anything for healing skin.

Well, it's a bummer to know that it didn't work for you. Did you spend time thoroughly massaging it into your skin for 10-15 minutes' for each application? (I'm guessing you did, but I figured I should still ask.)

I have found several websites--albeit not those of any professional organization--that state that RHSO regenerates skin cells. If I recall correctly, it's said that the oil, in combination with thorough massage, helps stimulate skin-cell production. But, again, it's also said to take many months' time for results to be seen.

When I belonged to that other forum years' ago, one member said that she was a nurse who worked for a dermatologist (or plastic surgeon?) who treated acne scarring regularly. He once commented that in order to self-heal acne scars, one would need to regularly massage the skin rather firmly with a shower brush. Afterward, some form of protective barrier--e.g., petroleum jelly--should be applied to the skin. (I know, I know... The idea of putting petroleum jelly on still-sensitive skin doesn't seem like a viable option.) He did say that this regimen would take months' to achieve the desired results but that patients could achieve the similar results to those of more aggressive scar treatments performed by a doctor. He also said that most doctors don't tell their patients this info., lest they lose business.

I think I'll give RHSO another go to see if it at least helps with the dryness that I experience at times from BP (Acanya). The skin beneath my eyes also tends to get very irritated--red and scaly--even though I don't apply acne medication there. After one application of RHSO beneath my eyes last night, my skin is no longer red/flaky. At least there's that bonus. smile.png

P.I.

Edited by PrettyInside

As LZOMG and Nope.avi both said, topicals won't work for tethered down skin. Unfortunately, an aggressive method is needed to release the skin.

I made an indented scar on my nose way worse by listening to someone who said to massage some kind of oil (I used coconut) into it for ten minutes- turns out I did it too hard without realizing or even noticing I was doing any damage it and accidentally abraded off some layers of skin. I applied petroleum jelly but the scar is definitely worse plus I got some new small scars too- wish I never ever did that.

I still use coconut oil though, but gently, as a moisturizer.

Edited by PittyWoman

I made an indented scar on my nose way worse by listening to someone who said to massage some kind of oil (I used coconut) into it for ten minutes- turns out I did it too hard without realizing or even noticing I was doing any damage it and accidentally abraded off some layers of skin. I applied petroleum jelly but the scar is definitely worse plus I got some new small scars too- wish I never ever did that.

I still use coconut oil though, but gently, as a moisturizer.

3 people answerd your question,

and all 3 people said the same exact thing about oils and acne scars. They dont work, its pseudo science to the max.

Do you think we are lying to you or something?

Sorry, but the shower brush thing might damage skin further. I used a q-tip and I thought I wasn't damaging my skin. Well, I did and I'm seriously kicking myself. whistling.gif

Edited by PittyWoman

I agree with PittyWoman on the shower brush. I don't for one second believe any qualified doctor would recommend risking further damage by brushing your face with a shower brush. That's just crazy.

Sorry to hear about what happened to you PittyWoman. I've made similar mistakes. I'm extremely careful with my skin now.

Read the bottom line of my signature. There is virtually no control over what the cosmetic and vitamin industry say or promise. The cosmetic indusrty is famous for putting very tiny amounts of Retin-A in their creams and calling it a Retin-A cream because they can get away with it. CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Edited by DudleyDoRight

I agree with PittyWoman on the shower brush. I don't for one second believe any qualified doctor would recommend risking further damage by brushing your face with a shower brush. That's just crazy.

Sorry to hear about what happened to you PittyWoman. I've made similar mistakes. I'm extremely careful with my skin now.

Thanks Tokyo Girl, yeah I like barely rub my skin at all now. i wish I knew then what I know now. That's why when I see someone recommending rubbing areas of skin for lengthy periods of time I'm like nooooo!

Same here, I am gentle with my skin. I do like Clarisonic brush. I used to own 2 of them(one for home, one for travel), and I liked it. But a shower brush...NO WAY lol

Edited by myskin2012

3 people answerd your question,

and all 3 people said the same exact thing about oils and acne scars. They dont work, its pseudo science to the max.

Do you think we are lying to you or something?

Ummm... I, PrettyInside, am the one who started this thread. It was PittyWoman who detailed her experimentation with coconut oil. I, personally, have never used coconut oil on my face. In short, your somewhat irritated reply was delivered to the wrong person.

P.I.

Edited by PrettyInside

Sorry to take over your thread. It wasn't the oil I wanted to address, but the excessive rubbing you talked about which I don't think works for indents and had a very detrimental effect for me.

Sorry to take over your thread. It wasn't the oil I wanted to address, but the excessive rubbing you talked about which I don't think works for indents and had a very detrimental effect for me.

You didn't take over this thread or steer it off-topic; no worries. smile.png

I'm glad that you shared your experience with excessive massaging of the skin and how it seems to have further damaged it.

Now I'm wondering why massaging an acne scar with oil can make it worse, while a rougher form of abrasion--like microdermabrasion--can help reduce, or even eliminate scar tissue?

P.I.

Now I'm wondering why massaging an acne scar with oil can make it worse, while a rougher form of abrasion--like microdermabrasion--can help reduce, or even eliminate scar tissue?

P.I.

I disagree with this. Microdermabrasion can't improve tethered down or pitted scars. Having pre-paid for 10 microdermabrasion sessions and completing only 5, I can tell you, based on my experience, it didn't improve my scars at all. In fact, it made them look noticeably worse for a period of time.

You didn't take over this thread or steer it off-topic; no worries. smile.png

I'm glad that you shared your experience with excessive massaging of the skin and how it seems to have further damaged it.

P.I.

I wonder that as well since only a very thin layer peeled off but definitely worsened my scar making it wider & more shadowy. Did I rub off the edges of the scar without realizing it? I stopped right after realizing I damaged the skin btw, after a patch turned brownish. I was not trying to remove any skin, just massage the area and I never saw any blood or rawness. What I did see was that the scar disappeared for a few days, so I thought it "worked". Ha. Then that scab/brown skin formed and peeled off and....yeah....sigh.

Microdermabrasion can't improve tethered down or pitted scars. Having pre-paid for 10 microdermabrasion sessions and completing only 5, I can tell you, based on my experience, it didn't improve my scars at all. In fact, it made them look noticeably worse for a period of time.

Are you saying that microdermabrasion doesn't improve any type of indented scarring?

I'm curious: did a dermatologist or dermatology asst. tell you that multiple microdermabrasion sessions would lessen your scarring permanently? (I just saw this same statement/claim on a dermatology website this morning, which is why I'm wondering if some professional told you it works.)

I would think, though, that scarring would look worse, initially, since you're scraping off a few skin layers during each session. If it takes a while for even laser treatment(s) to show the final results, I'd think that it would take some time after your last microderm. treatment to see the full effects. At least, I remain hopeful that this is the case, as 10 microderm. sessions are much less expensive than laser surgery.

P.I.

I wasted several months and $1500 on microdermabrasion. It does not penetrate deep enough to have any effect on acne scars. It's a superficial peel.

Hopefully, this will answer your questions:

http://www.realself....-and-fine-lines

Add-on:

I had mine done at a medispa in Los Angeles, and was told it would improve my scars. At the time, I was opposed to laser. When I didn't see any improvement and mentioned it to them, they said I needed more treatments to reach the deeper layers -- as if, they were eventually going to sand down my face and reach the pit of my scarred tissue. I then consulted with a few dermatologists who ALL told me that microdermabrasion would never improve my scars.

Another link:

http://www.realself.com/question/best-treatment-deep-acne-scars

Edited by TokyoGirl

I wasted several months and $1500 on microdermabrasion. It does not penetrate deep enough to have any effect on acne scars. It's a superficial peel.

I'm sorry to hear that, both in terms of the info. itself and the fact that you wasted money/spent time getting treatment that didn't really treat anything. That really stinks--to state the obvious.

I'm not one to suggest that a person get all "sue happy," but I actually wish that someone eventually would sue medi-spa-type places that take clients' money for false promises. That form of smoke-'n-mirror hype shouldn't be legal; after all, it's essentially taking money for nothing given in return.

Thank you for the links. I'll check them out very shortly.

P.I.