How I Stopped My Oi...

Notifications
Clear all

How I Stopped My Oily Skin In 2 Weeks!

MemberMember
(@cooool)

Posted : 06/16/2012 1:47 pm

Hey, just wanted to share how I've gotten my oily skin under control (fingers crossed), and the pimples that come along with it. One, before I go out I've been applying Phillips milk of magnesia every other day with my fingers, leaving it on my face for about 20 mins and washing it off before applying a little glaxal base (moisturizer)

Secondly, which I think has done the most, is I've been taking Vitamin A (derived from fish). I took accutane in the past and its the only thing that really controlled my oil. Vitamin A's the next best thing, and for the first week I took 100000 IUs per day, then moved down to 50000 IUs per day until now. In a month I will keep a maintenance dose of 25000 IUs daily until 3 months are up, when I will stop to avoid overdose. BE VERY CAREFUL HERE, I did tons of research on dosage of Vitamin A to choose my dosages and treatment periods.

And there you have it! I expect this regimen to last me about 7 months, if the oily skin comes back after that I will resume Vitamin A until the oil is under control and continue with a maintenance dose for some time. Might go down to 10000 IUs per day.

Let me know what you guys think about this.

MemberMember
(@akl)

Posted : 06/23/2012 11:00 pm

Congrats on getting your oily skin under control!

I'd like to emphasize this:

BE VERY CAREFUL HERE

MemberMember
(@fruitbiscuits)

Posted : 06/26/2012 1:32 am

Yeah, the overdoes on vitamins are risky...be careful.

MemberMember
(@acnehealer)

Posted : 07/16/2012 10:53 am

Congrats.. !!!

MemberMember
(@audreyjade)

Posted : 07/16/2012 10:56 am

Having oily skin sucks! I'm glad you got yours under control. Have you ever used vitamin B5?

MemberMember
(@allrighty)

Posted : 07/17/2012 10:36 pm

I hate having oiley skin, when I wet my face or get outta the shower, i have a film of oiley gunk that comes off the top layer of my skin, I can usually scrape it off with my finger nail.

MemberMember
(@darkdubzs)

Posted : 03/31/2014 7:07 pm

Is 16,000 IU's a day okay? Im taking that amount starting today in oil capsule form as Retinol Palmitate

MemberMember
(@dan-e)

Posted : 04/18/2014 8:06 pm

I have been struggling with oily skin for more than 25 years. I have on antibiotic continuously for the last few years. Few weeks after stopping and the acne is back. I am considering the overdose vitamin A or checking with my dermatology on accutane. What I heard that vitamin A overdosage can cause liver damage, high cholesterol,.. And serious birth defects for females

MemberMember
(@crashoran)

Posted : 08/31/2014 2:36 pm

Yeah, I tried megadosing vitamin A as well. It worked perfectly, until I got unbelievable headaches and terrible joint pain in my knees.

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 08/31/2014 3:18 pm

Keep in mind that accutane is much more effective at much safer doses. With accutane you can take a little and it works a lot. With vitamin a you have to take a lot for it to work a little.

Yeah, I tried megadosing vitamin A as well. It worked perfectly, until I got unbelievable headaches and terrible joint pain in my knees.

MemberMember
(@crashoran)

Posted : 08/31/2014 4:02 pm

50,000iu/day for a few weeks.

MemberMember
(@kimberlyannemt)

Posted : 09/01/2014 12:16 am

It's great that you have got your oily skin under control. I am too afraid of trying to self-medicate with OTC Vitamin A.. Accutane is much safer, I've gone through 2 courses.

MemberMember
(@vermilion)

Posted : 09/01/2014 4:47 pm

Did you try lowering the dosage? And when you were at 50,000/day you said it worked perfectly. Like no need to blot your skin at all?

MemberMember
(@crashoran)

Posted : 09/02/2014 7:32 am

Did you try lowering the dosage? And when you were at 50,000/day you said it worked perfectly. Like no need to blot your skin at all?

I didn't blot my skin. I tried lowering, but my eyes were extremely dry as well. I feel like it has done some permanent damage to my bones, because they pop alot now. I would not reccomend this to anybody.

MemberMember
(@jofo)

Posted : 09/02/2014 4:18 pm

I didn't blot my skin. I tried lowering, but my eyes were extremely dry as well. I feel like it has done some permanent damage to my bones, because they pop alot now. I would not reccomend this to anybody.

What brand of vitamin A did you use?

MemberMember
(@nicklo62)

Posted : 09/04/2014 3:01 pm

I'm wondering what kind of vitamin A to use too. I'm going to try to do this as a last resort, I was prescribed accutane, but my insurance won't pay for it. I went through prior authorization process, and appeals, but express scripts are just complete scum bags. So I'm going to pick some up this week, but is there a certain kind I have to get?

MemberMember
(@crashoran)

Posted : 09/04/2014 4:00 pm

I'm wondering what kind of vitamin A to use too. I'm going to try to do this as a last resort, I was prescribed accutane, but my insurance won't pay for it. I went through prior authorization process, and appeals, but express scripts are just complete scum bags. So I'm going to pick some up this week, but is there a certain kind I have to get?

I don't remember what brand, I think it was NOW brand. I wouldn't reccommend trying it. I started using Epiduo instead, and it's working very well.

MemberMember
(@ahappycamper)

Posted : 09/26/2014 12:19 pm

Jofo, I know you used to use Accutane low dose. How come you stopped doing it?

MemberMember
(@jofo)

Posted : 09/27/2014 8:37 pm

I stopped using it because I was worried about the long-term side effects, and it was very expensive. I've been searching for a safer and cheaper alternative because I would rather not be dependent on Accutane for the rest of my life. It did work, though.

MemberMember
(@ahappycamper)

Posted : 09/29/2014 10:28 pm

MemberMember
(@alexxrivvas)

Posted : 09/29/2014 10:53 pm

Milk of magnesia is extremely bad for your skin !!! It lowers your ph levels and makes your skin really weak ! Sure it works but you could have a MUCH MUCH MUCH higher chance of skin cancer !! I strongly advise you not to use it !

MemberMember
(@jofo)

Posted : 09/30/2014 7:25 pm

Ah okay, makes sense. Was it still too expenisve for you even with the generic brand of Accutanes?

Are you still using the peppermint oil to decrease your oil? Your results on that were impressive and I could imagine that something like that could be used long term.

I look forward to your progress and results. Good luck!

The generic brands weren't prohibitively expensive, but I still wanted to find a cheaper alternative. I've stopped peppermint oil and all other topicals for the time being. I've used so many different products on my skin over the past year that I want to give it a break.