Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
strax

Has Anyone Overcome Oily Skin Through Diet?

I totally believe this is true. A combination of dietary changes + topical regimen always affects sebum output and the "oiliness" of my skin. By this I mean a good diet tends to give me healthier feeling, less oily skin, but I also make sure not to moisturize as much. Moisturizing can give a false illusion of oily skin, especially if it smothers the skin and you start sweating it all off.

But just know, high glycemic load/index > increased insulin levels > increased androgen levels > more oil production.

yes of course, you have to remember what sebum is, its oil (primarily fat)...eat less fats and oils and see what happens...

Yes. And Not by consuming less fat and oil. In fact I add oils and sometimes have a tablespoon of coconut oil as a supplement.

Vanbelle's statement is correct. Avoiding high glycemic impacting meals, drinks and snacks means not stimulating excess insulin, a master hormone that stimulates the production and release of other hormones such as the androgens that stimulate excess sebum production.

Edited by alternativista

yes of course, you have to remember what sebum is, its oil (primarily fat)...eat less fats and oils and see what happens...

One person said to eat less sugary foods, and another just said to eat less fat. And everyone paleo says to avoid starch

One person said to eat less sugary foods, and another just said to eat less fat. And everyone paleo says to avoid starch

2 people said to eat less sugar, as would the majority of people here and many researchers and doctors if they had responded to this post.. Although, What I said is to avoid high glycemic meals, drinks and snacks. Which is basic for health and how everyone should eat. I wouldn't worry about the starch, not when it comes in a nutrient rich food like a sweet potato. The starch in them includes resistant starch that helps keep blood sugar stable.

I suggest you read 80-10-10 by Dr. Douglas Graham and the Starch Solution by McDougall, M.D.

I take like 1 Tbsp of Total EFA 3 6 9 liquid supplement and it has been clearing me up a lot. All from natural plant extracts, Flax seed Omega 3 Oil and also even Omega 9 although it isn't essential.

Had like an icecream and mcdonalds a week ago, and after 2 days broke out with 2 pimples but that isn't much to worry about.

So I could definitely say that Dairy, gluten and High GI foods do affect the formation of my acne, along with the balance in Omega 3, and 6. The capsule version of just the OMega 3 Fish oil used to break me out though, this one does not and actually improves my skin texture.

is it EVER good to eat a high amount of meat and fruit in a diet? sugar and fat? wouldnt that be bad to the keto dieters and the low-fat group?

I have been eating paleo for 3-4 years, as strict as you can imagine and i am covered in acne. i havent had mcdonalds or a softdrink in 5 years at least

I take like 1 Tbsp of Total EFA 3 6 9 liquid supplement and it has been clearing me up a lot. All from natural plant extracts, Flax seed Omega 3 Oil and also even Omega 9 although it isn't essential.

Had like an icecream and mcdonalds a week ago, and after 2 days broke out with 2 pimples but that isn't much to worry about.

So I could definitely say that Dairy, gluten and High GI foods do affect the formation of my acne, along with the balance in Omega 3, and 6. The capsule version of just the OMega 3 Fish oil used to break me out though, this one does not and actually improves my skin texture.

I suggest you read 80-10-10 by Dr. Douglas Graham and the Starch Solution by McDougall, M.D.

I am familiar with both. neither is a diet marketed towards acne... There is no evidence whatsoever that an all fruit diet cures acne. The premise for the paleo diet being effective as a cure for acne (Cordains book) is based on 2 epidemiological studies, the largest of which was on the Kitivans. They actually ate fairly accordingly to McDougall. It does say, however, that they ate a good deal of fruit. I'm coming off a diet almost exactly like this one, even accounting the macronutrient ratio's of sweet potatoes to coconut oil. As I said, my face is covered in acne.

This has led me to the idea that either diet is not my issue in terms of acne, or that I need to eat more accordingly to my more immediate ancestors

is it EVER good to eat a high amount of meat and fruit in a diet? sugar and fat? wouldnt that be bad to the keto dieters and the low-fat group?

I have been eating paleo for 3-4 years, as strict as you can imagine and i am covered in acne. i havent had mcdonalds or a softdrink in 5 years at least

I am familiar with both. neither is a diet marketed towards acne... There is no evidence whatsoever that an all fruit diet cures acne. The premise for the paleo diet being effective as a cure for acne (Cordains book) is based on 2 epidemiological studies, the largest of which was on the Kitivans. They actually ate fairly accordingly to McDougall. It does say, however, that they ate a good deal of fruit. I'm coming off a diet almost exactly like this one, even accounting the macronutrient ratio's of sweet potatoes to coconut oil. As I said, my face is covered in acne.

This has led me to the idea that either diet is not my issue in terms of acne, or that I need to eat more accordingly to my more immediate ancestors

you dont get it, its not that fruit cures acne, its the lack of bad stuff you put in your body that helps your body cure itself of acne and other aliments and diseases.

I'm not sure your point because of how you worded it. I was on fruititarian diet for 4 months. I have horrible acne. There is not even epimedeological data to support this diet. Just a chiropractor who wrote a convincing book.

I'm not sure your point because of how you worded it. I was on fruititarian diet for 4 months. I have horrible acne. There is not even epimedeological data to support this diet. Just a chiropractor who wrote a convincing book.

well because you are convinced it isn't for you then move along...

The best diet for reducing oily skin is one that keeps insulin and IGF-1 levels low. Both of those hormones boost the effect androgen hormones have on the skin, and they also stimulate the release of androgens from the lives. Androgens are the main hormones behind acne. There's not much you can do to affect androgen levels, therefore you best option is to reduce insulin and IGF-1 as much as possible. Full story here: http://www.acneeinstein.com/hormonal-acne/

In my books the best way to do that is by eating a balanced diet (such as 50/30/20; carbs/fat/protein) with emphasis on low GI carbs and monounsaturated fats. In most studies I've seen that sort of diet does better than low-fat diets in reducing insulin resistance and triglyceride levels.

To my knowledge it's high-amount of fats in the blood that cause insulin resistance and high insulin and blood sugar levels. This can happen as a result of eating a lot of fat OR carbs. Hence my preference of balanced diets. This one study (PFD) found that lot of free fatty acids in the blood (basically triglycerides prevents transfer of glucose to muscle cells and also reduces the amount of glucose the muscle cells burn)

Low carb diets can also work. They tend to reduce insulin, but you have to stick to them religiously for them to work. Eat a bit of carbs and your blood sugar levels are likely to go crazy.

This is such a religious attitude. If you don't believe my chosen dogma then I'm not interested in talking to you. If you want people to take you seriously then please let evidence do the talking.

The best diet for reducing oily skin is one that keeps insulin and IGF-1 levels low. Both of those hormones boost the effect androgen hormones have on the skin, and they also stimulate the release of androgens from the lives. Androgens are the main hormones behind acne. There's not much you can do to affect androgen levels, therefore you best option is to reduce insulin and IGF-1 as much as possible. Full story here: http://www.acneeinst.../hormonal-acne/

In my books the best way to do that is by eating a balanced diet (such as 50/30/20; carbs/fat/protein) with emphasis on low GI carbs and monounsaturated fats. In most studies I've seen that sort of diet does better than low-fat diets in reducing insulin resistance and triglyceride levels.

To my knowledge it's high-amount of fats in the blood that cause insulin resistance and high insulin and blood sugar levels. This can happen as a result of eating a lot of fat OR carbs. Hence my preference of balanced diets. This one study (PFD) found that lot of free fatty acids in the blood (basically triglycerides prevents transfer of glucose to muscle cells and also reduces the amount of glucose the muscle cells burn)

Low carb diets can also work. They tend to reduce insulin, but you have to stick to them religiously for them to work. Eat a bit of carbs and your blood sugar levels are likely to go crazy.

This is such a religious attitude. If you don't believe my chosen dogma then I'm not interested in talking to you. If you want people to take you seriously then please let evidence do the talking.

religious attitude? what does this mean? your perception of my post is off...way off...maybe i should nerf the way i post so people cant use stereotypes?

I've overcome my 24/7 oil slick with diet changes.

Initially, I cut out lots of things like dairy, wheat, rice, and sugary foods. From that, it was instant improvement in my oiliness.

I don't know if I let myself heal or something (doubt it considering newer health problems were arising from not eating enough), but I've expanded my diet quite a bit since successfully and my nose only gets very slightly oily when I eat A LOT of rice and sourdough bread. Everything else is pretty good. I refuse to touch whole wheat bread, but I'd imagine it makes my skin oilier.

Oh, and grapeseed oil on my face has helped too. But I managed to get rid of all my oil initially through removing certain foods.

Edited by Tunnelvisionary

I did paleo diet for two weeks and my oily skin and acne was mostly gone, I always apply moisturizer to my face before sleeping and drink A LOT of water(gallon a day should be fine).

I've been studying oily(=sebum) skin recently. Those people who are sensitive to insulin will get oily skin when their glucose levels in blood(blood sugar) get imbalanced. The glucose level is affected by stuff like sugar and wheat. When the glucose level rises, your skin becomes dry(dont know why though), after that your body moisturizes the skin with sebum. Naturally the sebum shouldn't block pores but when the sebum production is excessive, acne is formed.

Edited by broscience

sepsi what are good examples of low-gi minimally processed carbs?

sweet potatoes are one of the hardest to stomach foods on the planet for me. Oats? sour apples? i dont want to hear about vegetables because i dont want to lose weight

Maybe im eating too many fruits particularly bananas when doing paleo? thats why i keep bringing up my own ancestral diet because bananas would have not been included, this would seemingly account for my reaction to a relatively safe food

sepsi what are good examples of low-gi minimally processed carbs?

sweet potatoes are one of the hardest to stomach foods on the planet for me. Oats? sour apples? i dont want to hear about vegetables because i dont want to lose weight

Can you tolerate beans and legumes? Both are very low GI and extremely nutritious. Nuts and seeds also have a pretty good sugar/fat/protein profile. Peanuts can be a problem for some people, but other nuts are generally well tolerated. I also like edamame, those young soy beans. Brown rice is also pretty good and I personally like corn. Some of these things aren't exactly ultra low GI, but when you keep overall carbohydrate intake in moderation I'm not sure it matters that much.

Forgot to add fruits to the list. And especially if you use them in green smoothies :)

Edited by sepsi

I tried oats today im paying for it dearly. Feels like i ate razor blades and my head is all foggy. I feel so much better on an all fruit diet so I might go ahead and stick with that and treat my skin with medications.

That sucks.. I'm kinda attached to my morning oatmeal, so hope it's not causing problems for me.

That sucks.. I'm kinda attached to my morning oatmeal, so hope it's not causing problems for me.

bobs red mill makes gluten free rolled oats, there is a large selection these days for gluten free alternatives....

bobs red mill makes gluten free rolled oats, there is a large selection these days for gluten free alternatives....

Thanks for the tip. I live in Thailand and those things haven't quite caught up here yet. But so far I haven't seen any big problems from oatmeal.

post if you have

Yes I did. Calcium gives you dry skin but supplementing calcium tablets is bad as excessive calcium kills ur digestive power

Try having organic plain yoghurt, kefir and mixed vegetable juice. Carrot, celery, cucumber, beet, wheat grass etc. Juicing book website have some great recipes.

I did paleo diet for two weeks and my oily skin and acne was mostly gone, I always apply moisturizer to my face before sleeping and drink A LOT of water(gallon a day should be fine).

I've been studying oily(=sebum) skin recently. Those people who are sensitive to insulin will get oily skin when their glucose levels in blood(blood sugar) get imbalanced. The glucose level is affected by stuff like sugar and wheat. When the glucose level rises, your skin becomes dry(dont know why though), after that your body moisturizes the skin with sebum. Naturally the sebum shouldn't block pores but when the sebum production is excessive acne is formed.

This is a very good hypothesis.