Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
omarcomin

Negative People From The Past

Recently i joined facebook and decided to look up some poeple from my long past school days. I then started to look at the people who gave me so much sh!t at school about my skin. i didn't add them or anything i just looked at their profiles and saw their profile pics. Most of them had grown up and were going about their lives . . . . .and i felt great. I was looking at these people who helped mould me into what i am today (with a lot of help from myself of course), the person who never goes out and never looks people in the eye and looking at them today i realise they're just people. Everyday for years they drummed into my head how superior they were because i had acne and they didn't and being a kid i believed them, but they are just peple who are no better than me. None of them had become rich and famous or won a nobel peace prize or cured a disease. Lots of them had aged pretty badly. They are just normal people and are not superior or better than me like they had me believe. This isn't some great awakening where i will suddenley get over my skin related problems but i realise now that a lot of us are who we are and feel the way we do because of the way people have picked on us and belittled us for having bad skin . . .but they are just people, insignificant little people. just wanted to put this out there but most of you probably realise this already. Thanks for reading.

Edited by omarcomin

There is some truth in this but overall I think you are looking at it the wrong way. You should be looking at things from a positive point of view and you should not need to be reassured that you are ok since everybody else isn't any good. E.G. I am not Asian but I hear a lot of people saying that Asian people are only smart because they don't have a life. Wrong. They are smart because they work hard and it doesn't matter if they are forced to or not, they get the work done. You should not need to justify yourself based off others, just be the best person you can be.

when i look at them i feel said at how much time i have lost it seems the world stood still for me while i hid and play mmos all day long, they went about there lifes while one day i was 17 with bad acne when i woke up again im 29 within a few days.. i lost so much time and i dont know where it all went

There is some truth in this but overall I think you are looking at it the wrong way. You should be looking at things from a positive point of view and you should not need to be reassured that you are ok since everybody else isn't any good. E.G. I am not Asian but I hear a lot of people saying that Asian people are only smart because they don't have a life. Wrong. They are smart because they work hard and it doesn't matter if they are forced to or not, they get the work done. You should not need to justify yourself based off others, just be the best person you can be.

Good point! If i did feel reassured that i am ok since everybody else isn't any good then that would make me just like those people who reassured themsleves by thinking they were better than me. What i meant more though was that a lot of people on these boards and people with skin problems have probably had their fair share of people in their past who picked on them for their acne, especially at school, but seeing them years later i just realise that they are only people who said and did stupid things to me, they were no one special.

Like you said though i shouldn't feel reassured about myself just through that because that would make me like them, afterall they are still in a better postion than me because they have probably experienced more of a life than me. I just feel reassured that i realise now that i didn't have to let them get to me and that them having better skin didn't give them anything over me.

I find that sites such as Facebook bring me down quite often and it doesn't have to relate to negative people from the past. It could even be people I know and like in the here and now who are doing well in one way or another, and I look at whatever they've got going on and feel like I'm missing out. It's conflicting because I guess that's a degree of jealousy and I feel stupid and mean for thinking that way. It's not even about acne anymore because, even without that, the damage left over in terms of a lack of confidence and self-esteem and a huge hole in my experiences where thirteen years of my life was swallowed up is constantly there. So I see people spending time with their friends and starting new relationships and experiencing all these things and I just can't ever see how I'd be able to have those things too because I just don't have a clue about any of that stuff.

I do think it's right not to pay attention to those negative people from the past though because that's exactly where they belong. That's great that you should take that view and now be at the point where you're not allowing those people to have that influence. Over the last year, I've come to learn that those negative people or even negative situations can only hold you back as time passes if you let them. In the moment, sure, they're going to be an issue. But after that, it's up to us as to whether or not we continue to dwell on them or be defined by them. I guess I'm making progress there, just finding it very difficult to make any kind of progress with the other stuff.

Good point! If i did feel reassured that i am ok since everybody else isn't any good then that would make me just like those people who reassured themsleves by thinking they were better than me. What i meant more though was that a lot of people on these boards and people with skin problems have probably had their fair share of people in their past who picked on them for their acne, especially at school, but seeing them years later i just realise that they are only people who said and did stupid things to me, they were no one special.

Like you said though i shouldn't feel reassured about myself just through that because that would make me like them, afterall they are still in a better postion than me because they have probably experienced more of a life than me. I just feel reassured that i realise now that i didn't have to let them get to me and that them having better skin didn't give them anything over me.

I don't think they have a better life than you. I have gained experience through having acne and If I didn't I may have turned out like one those idiots at my school but now I think I am a pretty good person.

I don't think they have a better life than you. I have gained experience through having acne and If I didn't I may have turned out like one those idiots at my school but now I think I am a pretty good person.

true

Edited by arqa22