Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
beelala93

My Accutane Journey - Will Post Here Every Month

End of Month 1

Nearly at the end of month 1 on accutane (technically the 4 weeks was up last week I think, but I don't see the derm again until friday because we couldn't get an apt until then).

I've been taking 25mg a day. Ideally he wanted me to be taking 30mg this month but I wouldn't have had enough capsules to last the entire time if I had. I'm taking 30mg for the last few days but I'm hoping he'll up my dosage anyway to move the process on a bit quicker.

Side effects - all of them. I haven't felt remotely attractive all month. My skin is like, falling off because it's so dry and I can't put enough lip balm on to actually get rid of the chapped-ness. My scalp has been a bit itchy (subsiding now, but it was really irritating), so I'm using the Naked Gentle Shampoo which is helping soooooooo much! I LOVE it!

Skin care routine - I've used a super gentle exfoliator just to get rid of the dry patches which helped a lot and wasn't painful at all (great stuff!), using Cetaphil cleanser and moisturizer morning and night. If I have a painful blemish, I put a little Sudocrem on it at night which helps a bit. Using Cymex lip cream (generally used for cold sores and severely chapped lips) and a lip balm by La Roche Posay which is also quite good. When these run out I'm going to try Aquaphore.

Side note - terrified again to have bloods taken this week. ARGH, major major major downside to taking this drug.

Hey there!

I'm sorry to hear your having a rough first month. Don't worry, lots of people have that rough period, and you should see improvement soon! Also, I would definately give aquaphor a shot. It's saved my lips thus far (I'm also a month in). Just smear a ton on at night and then some in the morning. You can even use a little bit as needed throughout the day. I usually find all I need it is 2-3 times per day and I'm good to go.

You should start a log in the accutane log pages! The people there have taught me so much. With their advice I've been able to avoid nearly all side-affects thus far! They're seriously all awesome and know sooo much!

Good Luck with the rest of your course!

Hey there!

I'm sorry to hear your having a rough first month. Don't worry, lots of people have that rough period, and you should see improvement soon! Also, I would definately give aquaphor a shot. It's saved my lips thus far (I'm also a month in). Just smear a ton on at night and then some in the morning. You can even use a little bit as needed throughout the day. I usually find all I need it is 2-3 times per day and I'm good to go.

You should start a log in the accutane log pages! The people there have taught me so much. With their advice I've been able to avoid nearly all side-affects thus far! They're seriously all awesome and know sooo much!

Good Luck with the rest of your course!

Thanks for your tips, am definitely going to get some Aquaphor and I'll check out the log pages too :)

My appointment went really well. He was surprised that my skin has improved so much in just a month, saying he wouldn't normally see such improvement until at least 6 weeks, so really happy with that. I'm now ideally taking 40mg but as a contact lens wearer he wants me just to play it by ear so I may reduce it to 35mg if it gets too much for me. But yeah, so far so good!

Hope your next month goes really well :)

Same here with the contacts.... Let us know how your doseage increase goes. I've been fine with mine thus far, but I'm concerned about more eye drying with the dose bump too.

Same here with the contacts.... Let us know how your doseage increase goes. I've been fine with mine thus far, but I'm concerned about more eye drying with the dose bump too.

How are your eyes getting on? Mine are surprisingly okay. They get a little dry, but nothing more than usual which is great. But, oh my goodness, my lips are sooo bad! I've got that thing where they like, crack a bit at the sides. Picking up some aquaphor today...it's a necessity haha.