Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FruitBiscuits

Please Give Me Advice...i Know Probably It's A Stupid Question To Ask...but Should I Stay Up All Night Before My Derm Visit..? =(

I have an appointment with a derm to talk about dermal filler treatment for my acne scars this week.

I have shallow, but very visible rolling and box scars on my cheeks. Those scars are indented about 0.3 to 0.5mm(previously I mentioned 1- 1.5mm but I miscalculated...it is actually 0.3-0.5..and less but it is enough to show in some lighting...) from my normal skin surface.

I've already asked two derms about filler option for my scars in the past(this year). Both derms told me my scars are too shallow to fill them with fillers... (But one of the derms doesn't treat acne 'scars'. I used him for clearing my acne. Another one told me she doesn't have enough experiences for acne scar treatment, and she mostly use filler for wrinkles. So I think both opinions are not so helpful...)

I usually make a derm appointment early in the morning due to my work schedule etc...But in the morning all my scars look much shallower than evening. I know it's puffiness causes by sleeping and I know it's a temporary effect...but it's so frustrated to visit my derm with my puffy face...because they can't really see how my scars actually look...so they think my scars are shallow...! Has anyone experienced the same problem before?

So...my question is...should I stay up all night before my derm visit...? Has anyone done it? Or any better idea...?

huh.png

Edited by myskin2012

Take a picture of your scars right after you have washed your face so that your dermatologist can have a better picture of what your scars look like. Try to take as many from different angles and different lighting.

Take a picture of your scars right after you have washed your face so that your dermatologist can have a better picture of what your scars look like. Try to take as many from different angles and different lighting.

Thank you for the advice AlexWong, it actually a great idea =) I'll bring a lot of pictures, hope this derm will take time to look at them, haha

I've also decided to stay up before my derm visit. So I can show him my real scars look like! Then maybe this derm will give me fillers...! But if he says no to fillers, then I feel so lost because I don't know what should I do to improve my scars then. I am not ready to go back to laser treatment or peels yet, plus my skin is too sensitive to have those treatment. They might damage my skin more...='(

i couldn't capture my scars with my phone...and couldn't stay up all night...=(...and the derm visit was bad...

but i found another trick...surprised.gif !

today i have another derm visit...so...yesterday night, i slept with two pillows instead of one, so my head position is a little bit higher than rest of my body...and it worked wonders for me.

when i got up this morning, my face didn't really look puffy. I can see my scars clearly, and they are indented as i usually see in the evening.

Edited by myskin2012

i couldn't capture my scars with my phone...and couldn't stay up all night...=(...and the derm visit was bad...

but i found another trick...surprised.gif !

today i have another derm visit...so...yesterday night, i slept with two pillows instead of one, so my head position is a little bit higher than rest of my body...and it worked wonders for me.

when i got up this morning, my face didn't really look puffy. I can see my scars clearly, and they are indented as i usually see in the evening.

why dont you just wear an ice pack like patrick bateman

Hi myskin2012 I understand what you're saying. I myself have the same problem and it's really frustrating because my scars just don't have the same appearance through out the day. Sometimes in the morning they're not there at all but sometimes really deep. I don't know what causes these changes in scars because they are very deceiving and. I myself had a few appointments with my dermatologists and they refused to do subcision or filler for me calling them very shallow and offered me laser instead. I've found that if I stay up all night they look deep or if you apply some oil on them they'll look deep. So you can try applying oil on them and see if that works. Just make sure you're clear of acne. Thanks

Hi myskin2012 I understand what you're saying. I myself have the same problem and it's really frustrating because my scars just don't have the same appearance through out the day. Sometimes in the morning they're not there at all but sometimes really deep. I don't know what causes these changes in scars because they are very deceiving and. I myself had a few appointments with my dermatologists and they refused to do subcision or filler for me calling them very shallow and offered me laser instead. I've found that if I stay up all night they look deep or if you apply some oil on them they'll look deep. So you can try applying oil on them and see if that works. Just make sure you're clear of acne. Thanks

Deep scars are hard to treat...but shallow scars are also hard to treat...acne scar sucks. I didn't know about the oil trick, but I can only use oil free products on my face because oil breaks me out...! Right now, I have a big pimple on my forehead and it looks so pretty... surprised.gif But thank you for the idea =)

Go see another derms or PS. Don't go to the doc who just pushes you their laser. Don't give up =)

Edited by myskin2012