Notifications
Clear all

Pam's Accutane Log

MemberMember
(@pam24nyc)

Posted : 06/11/2012 8:23 pm

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to give you all a brief history of my battles with Acne. I started to develop acne when I was 13 and now I am 33. Unfortunately, my mom never let me get on Accutane. So, here I am now...looking for a solution to get rid of this horrible curse. I have moderate/cystic acne that comes and goes as it pleases. However, I have many scars on my face and I hate my skin.

I've tried all kinds of antiobiotics (Doroyx, Solodyn, BCP, topical stuff) My acne does diminish with these drugs but then it comes back. So, I obviously do not want to stay on antibiotics for the rest of my life so I decided to go on Accutane. It was indeed a very difficult decision. I wanted to start it back in 2010 but then I changed my mind. Then in 2011, I did the Ipledge program, only to change my mind a few days later.

On June 9, 2012, I took my first pill. Therefore, I am going to track my journey on this message board. In a way, it will make me feel better.

So far, I have not had any side effects.

I am mostly concerned with doing the things that I usually like to do and not being hindered by this poison.

Does anyone know if it is ok for me to get my hair colored while on Accutane? I have an appointment in 2 weeks and I just want to make sure it will be fine.

Also, is going to the gym ok? I like Yoga.

How about accupunture?

I have my next dr appointment in 4 weeks so I can't ask about my concernts until then.

Is drinking once glass of wine a week ok?

MemberMember
(@redhead-rachel)

Posted : 06/12/2012 8:36 am

Hi Pam! Welcome to the forums!

Some people have been able to dye their hair while on Accutane without any problems. Others find that their scalp is very sensitive and the dye burns. It seems everyone is different. I think it probably depends how your scalp is in two weeks. I'm guessing the people who experienced problems had a dry scalp when they dyed their hair. I'm not sure though. Just see how your scalp is as your appointment approaches. Also, it would probably be a good idea to mention Accutane to your stylist. One member here told her stylist about it and she said they had gentler dyes they could use.

Going to the gym is fine. Just make sure you take it easy with any strenuous exercises, as your body is very fragile while on this drug. Yoga shouldn't be a problem though!

One glass of wine a week shouldn't be an issue either.

Good luck on your course! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

MemberMember
(@jamie-o)

Posted : 06/12/2012 8:37 pm

Hi Pam good luck with your course.

As Rachel said yoga should be fine, just listen to your body. If you can't pains at the start, or when you up your dose, It might just take your body a couple of weeks to adapt to the dose. I know yoga can involve a lot more strength work than people give it credit for.

As for acupuncture, that sounds like a recipe for disaster. But I could be wrong. Hopefully I am since you seem to like it.

Good luck for your accutane course.

MemberMember
(@victoria-2)

Posted : 06/13/2012 10:51 am

Hey Pam we started about the same time! It's great to have someone at the same point in the treatment, I took my second dose today! Good luck and I'll be interested to know how you're getting on :)

MemberMember
(@picklesmcgee11)

Posted : 06/13/2012 12:20 pm

You sound like me! I have avoided Accutane for a while now. Even did the Ipledge 3 years ago, took two pills, then freaked myself out and stopped. However now is the time for me as well. My skin is making me miserable. I am starting in one week and I can't wait! I hope things go well for you! Good luck!

MemberMember
(@pam24nyc)

Posted : 06/15/2012 9:44 pm

I am so excited to be able to share this attrocious journey with all of you. Thank you to those who wrote me back and gave kind words of encouragement. I also read your blogs (Rachel and Jaime). So, is your skin clear now? after the treatment?

Just as an update to my progress, I do not have any real symptoms yet. I bit of dry lips but nothing untolerable.

I did drink a glass on Thursday and one on Friday and I can say that I do feel a bit tired. (Remember some from another blog saying the same thing).

I will probably not go to accupunture anymore until I finish the treatment (5 more month) because I don't know if it helps my anxiety.

Victoria- wishing you good luck too.

MemberMember
(@redhead-rachel)

Posted : 06/15/2012 10:19 pm

It sounds like things are going well so far. Some tiredness is normal. I remember feeling pretty tired on my third day of Accutane. I've only had a few days where I've felt tired since then. Some people experience this much more frequently and for the entire first month. I hope it doesn't stick around for you though!

I just started my second month. My skin isn't 100% clear, but I don't have any actives on my face right now. I've been pretty lucky so far, I think. I have had quite a few breakouts since starting, but I've only had a couple that were big. Most have been small and went away quickly.

MemberMember
(@ajfortino)

Posted : 06/15/2012 11:04 pm

I'm starting on accutane soon Pam!

Just wanted to wish you the best of LUCK!!!!!!!

MemberMember
(@tiger-1)

Posted : 06/16/2012 8:47 am

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to give you all a brief history of my battles with Acne. I started to develop acne when I was 13 and now I am 33. Unfortunately, my mom never let me get on Accutane. So, here I am now...looking for a solution to get rid of this horrible curse. I have moderate/cystic acne that comes and goes as it pleases. However, I have many scars on my face and I hate my skin.

I've tried all kinds of antiobiotics (Doroyx, Solodyn, BCP, topical stuff) My acne does diminish with these drugs but then it comes back. So, I obviously do not want to stay on antibiotics for the rest of my life so I decided to go on Accutane. It was indeed a very difficult decision. I wanted to start it back in 2010 but then I changed my mind. Then in 2011, I did the Ipledge program, only to change my mind a few days later.

On June 9, 2012, I took my first pill. Therefore, I am going to track my journey on this message board. In a way, it will make me feel better.

So far, I have not had any side effects.

I am mostly concerned with doing the things that I usually like to do and not being hindered by this poison.

Does anyone know if it is ok for me to get my hair colored while on Accutane? I have an appointment in 2 weeks and I just want to make sure it will be fine.

Also, is going to the gym ok? I like Yoga.

How about accupunture?

I have my next dr appointment in 4 weeks so I can't ask about my concernts until then.

Is drinking once glass of wine a week ok?

Hi Pam, I'm Stacey. I'm 48 years old and took my first pill on April 30th. Same story as you - moderate cystic acne that comes and goes as it pleases. I've noticed it's mostly brought on by stress which is impossible to control - even good stress! Like my daughter graduating from high school two years ago - I had a huge breakout in the middle of all the festivities and had to run to the derm for cortisone shots - ridiculous. Anyway, I hit my brick wall in March and decided to go for it. I was also concerned with not being able to normal things but so far I've not found that to be the case.

I'm on 40 mg for now and I'm on day 48. My side effects are annoying but manageable. I exercise 4-5 times a week running and strength training. I have been having a few back pain issues but it comes and goes. I did take a break from running for a few weeks but it didn't seem to make a difference so I'm going to start back at it next week and just use heat and ice, ice seems to help more than heat for me. I actually think yoga would be good - all that stretching would probably help any soreness.

I have not quit drinking and have had one blood test since starting. I'm not a huge drinker but I do love wine/champagne and an occasional "fluffy" matini. I'm keeping it to a few drinks a week, mostly on the weekend and my liver levels came back fine. My cholesterol and blood sugar were a little high but my derm said it was normal and she wasn't concerned. I am taking fish oil and trying to not eat too much sugar to see if that helps.

I did get my hair colored and it was a success! I was worried about it because one of the first side effects I had was a very itchy scalp and some extra shedding. I started using a good dandruff shampoo twice a week and it all calmed down and my hair is fine. I did tell my stylist that I started accutane and she used a very mild hair color on me by Redken that has no amonia in it. It worked great and felt fine. I was very relieved! :) I'm also taking biotin which I think is helping.

Hope this helps! Good luck!! :)

MemberMember
(@pam24nyc)

Posted : 06/16/2012 9:37 pm

Hi Stacy,

Thanks for writing. Has the Accutane helped since you started? Did you notice any flare ups during the first few weeks?

My derm had prescribed me with Doryx prior to starting Accutane (2 months) and said that I should not get any more new acne if I take the antiobiotics. But I think he ws wrong because I just got 3 huge zits. Also, ive been reading other blogs that people were posting and they all say that the acne got worse before it got better. Is it true?

MemberMember
(@ajfortino)

Posted : 06/16/2012 9:51 pm

Hey Pam!

Most people's acne does tend to get worse before it gets better.

The accutane doesn't actually cause you to have more acne. What it does is that it "leads to shrinkage of sebaceous glands and a marked attenuation of sebum secretion. The decrease in sebum results in the inhibition of the sebum-dependent bacterium Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes), which is a key promoter of inflammation in acne vulgaris. Oral isotretinoin also inhibits comedogenesis by fostering keratinocyte differentiation and by normalizing desquamation." So as it shrinks the sebaceous glands (sweat glands/pores), the acne that was already down there and about to come out, comes out really fast! That's the only reason why you get an initial break out! The people who don't get an initial breakout don't have as much acne about to come out at the time being.

So it really varies from person to person. Hope that helped!

MemberMember
(@jamie-o)

Posted : 06/17/2012 1:01 am

IJust as an update to my progress, I do not have any real symptoms yet. I bit of dry lips but nothing untolerable.

I did drink a glass on Thursday and one on Friday and I can say that I do feel a bit tired.

Depending on your dose you mightn't get too many side effects for a bit. I think my lips started to significantly dry out around the two week mark. My face got redder in the past week. Hopefully you'll be the same and not get any more side effects for the first few weeks at least.

My derm said the odd drink every now and again would be fine, I think he meant have one glass (wine)/can (spirit) every week or couple of weeks. But don't quote me with that, not completely sure. Obviously use discretion here. If you have any problems don't even drink once a month. I'll probably only have one for my birthday- just because one turns into two, which turns into five and I think you can see how the pattern develops.

As for your derm with his antibiotics talk, thats all it is. I have been on Doxycycline for about ten years, so quiet obviously it doesnt work for persistent or serve acne.

Good luck

MemberMember
(@tiger-1)

Posted : 06/17/2012 12:20 pm

Hi Stacy,

Thanks for writing. Has the Accutane helped since you started? Did you notice any flare ups during the first few weeks?

My derm had prescribed me with Doryx prior to starting Accutane (2 months) and said that I should not get any more new acne if I take the antiobiotics. But I think he ws wrong because I just got 3 huge zits. Also, ive been reading other blogs that people were posting and they all say that the acne got worse before it got better. Is it true?

Yes I did have a flare up the first few weeks - at the time it sucked but it's over now and healing. Everyone seems to be different when it comes to the intial breakout but don't be discouraged, it will get better. It may flare up and get better and then flare up again but each time it will get better. So far I've only had the one flare up (fingers crossed!) and I'm almost done with month two. Most people tend to be on the upswing by month three but some don't hit it until later. Just hang in there and try to stay positive and bitch it out on the boards! :) It helps and everyone is really supportive.

MemberMember
(@pam24nyc)

Posted : 06/17/2012 10:00 pm

I am trying to stay positive and that is all that I can do at this point. Unfortunately, it is summer and now with these initial breakouts I look like a mess. It is actually worse then it gets better. I really hope that by 4th of July I will see some improvement. Also, I was thinking to go to the Derm to get some cortizone shots to reduce the disgusting cysts but I will try to hold off until Thursday.

I stayed in the sun for 2 days already (using SPF 30) and I was fine, so far. Actually, I was told by the derm that Accutane does not have sun sensitivity at all. On the other hand, Doryx does and it even can burn through the car window.

MemberMember
(@tiger-1)

Posted : 06/18/2012 7:40 am

Hi Pam! I've had one cortisone shot since being on the medicine and it did help. It's still a little flesh colored bump but it definitely reduced the inflammation and redness.

MemberMember
(@pam24nyc)

Posted : 06/18/2012 6:44 pm

Thanks Tiger, I certainly need the encouragement at this point because I am getting so upset, that I have these 5 big bumps that I don't want to even look in the mirror.

I hate this and sometimes I wish that the doctor can have an open door policy so that I can go so see him whenever i want and get the cortizone shots.

MemberMember
(@tiger-1)

Posted : 06/19/2012 9:54 am

Thanks Tiger, I certainly need the encouragement at this point because I am getting so upset, that I have these 5 big bumps that I don't want to even look in the mirror.

I hate this and sometimes I wish that the doctor can have an open door policy so that I can go so see him whenever i want and get the cortizone shots.

Ooooo! I totally wished for that open door policy with my derm too! I also wish you could get a shot and it would mean you'd never get a zit in that spot again - wouldn't that be awesome?!! My son went with me one time when I got one and he was so impressed that I got a shot in my face and I was so brave, haha. Super mommmmmmm! Hang in there, it will all be worth it!!

MemberMember
(@pam24nyc)

Posted : 06/20/2012 6:18 pm

I have a few things on my mind now and I wanted to share. First, I am getting bruises very easily. I did read on some forums and also on the side effects of Accutane that bruisig is quite common. However, I didn't think it can happen so fast at just 10 days...so I am a bit worried. I wlll see ther derm in 2 weeks from now and I will mention this to him.

Has anyone experienced this effect on 30mg?

Well, now I am also continiuing to break out all over my face. I went for a cortizone injection the other day ( not to my derm who gave me the accutane). This derm with the injection, she was on Accutane herself and she did give me some advise that it would be life changing. Either way, she wanted to give me 20 mg for 6 months and then move up to 40mg. I thought she was insane because I can't be on this med for one year. My derm wants me on it for 5 months and thats it.

MemberMember
(@jamie-o)

Posted : 06/20/2012 8:13 pm

Just some advice when you're comparing your dose to someone elses, for side effects or anything else, try comparing it to some around your weight. This is because the dose of Accutane works off your body weight (and also individual ability to handle the med), so the extent of the side effects varies, even at the same dose. The only reason I'm saying this is because it would, more than likely, be impossible to compare the side effects that you're getting compared to a huge muscular guy.

Also hopefully the easy of which you bruise easies off. I know that the joint pain can easy off for some people a bit after they've upped their dose, so hopefully your bruising situation is similar.

MemberMember
(@pam24nyc)

Posted : 06/21/2012 8:02 pm

Jamie, Are you done with your course? Does anyone know how long the inital breakout stage lasts?

I am 5'5 and 125 pounds. I have read on several posts that the dosage depends on the weight and height. One thing that would help me would be to not think about taking these accutane pills and pretend they are nothing serious.

Ahh...it is what it is...

MemberMember
(@nickireland7yahoo-com)

Posted : 06/21/2012 9:03 pm

Hmm. The gym for me was totally off limits after month two! It might've just been my body though! I couldn't get comfortable at all, I was so terribly sore! And I had been in shape and went regularly to the gym; nothing was too rigorous either!

But everyone is different and I know how important yoga is to people & I really hope you can keep continuing to do that thing that you love while on this drug!!

& I stopped accutane about a month and a half ago (5 month course) and all my side effects are gone! Except the best one-- clear skin ;)

Good luck on your course!!

MemberMember
(@jamie-o)

Posted : 06/21/2012 11:45 pm

Jamie, Are you done with your course? Does anyone know how long the inital breakout stage lasts?

No, I am about four weeks in. I have just done a lot of research into the joint aches and fatigue, because I am quite an active person and would hate to be unable to do physical activity of some sort- hence the research. Some logs mention that their joint pain and fatigue lessened (can't remember whose though, sorry), so hopefully your bruising will be the same.

Initil breakout is meant to be in the first five weeks usually, but can come later. I don't know how long it goes for though, I guess it would vary from person to person. Hopefully someone else can answer that for you.

Good luck

MemberMember
(@pam24nyc)

Posted : 06/22/2012 8:16 pm

[quote name=nick :)' timestamp='1340330599' post='3258057]

Hmm. The gym for me was totally off limits after month two! It might've just been my body though! I couldn't get comfortable at all, I was so terribly sore! And I had been in shape and went regularly to the gym; nothing was too rigorous either!

But everyone is different and I know how important yoga is to people & I really hope you can keep continuing to do that thing that you love while on this drug!!

& I stopped accutane about a month and a half ago (5 month course) and all my side effects are gone! Except the best one-- clear skin wink.png

Hi Nick, thank you for writing to me. You definitely gave me some encouragement. Can you tell me how Accutane worked for you?? I mean, was the acne wore then before it got better? How old are you?

Good luck on your course!!

MemberMember
(@nickireland7yahoo-com)

Posted : 06/22/2012 10:19 pm

You're very welcome!!

My experience is on my accutane log, but I can sum it up for you!

I'm 16, I took it for 5 months (40, 60, 80, 80, 80) and my side effects came and went but I was pretty sore and tired the whole time and it got worse until the end! I actually was 15 when I was on it, and I ended the day before I turned 16! smile.png I've been off for a month and 22 days and my side effects all went away! Dry lips went away after about 9 or so days and all the other ones just faded away and they're gone now! No red/dry face anymore, but still sensitive and I'm being careful!!

I use salycilic acid and AHA acid now to fade away hyperpigmentation (red, superficial marks), but because I did not pick (for the most part) they should fade away completely! I do, however, have one some indentation (very very small) in between my eyes because I picked at a huge zit in month 5!!! not a good idea! But i used vaseline and kept it well moisturized so the scar is very small and should eventually fade away with careful exfoliation!!

Acne-wise, I broke out in places I never had before, even with 8 months of differin (topical retinoid) and keflex (oral antibiotic) behind me! I did not pick at it whatsoever and did not put anything on it; I just let it happen and sometimes (rarely) I would put a dab of sulfur on it and it would go away! (this is in the proactiv face mask and it really worked for me!)

It did work! Without a doubt!!

My best memories on the drug were around month 2-3, I woke up one morning, and every morning for a week all the blackheads just FELL out!! IT WAS AMAZING!!!

Pimple-wise, they just kept decreasing in number until month 5, it was rare to have a pimple! And when I did, it wouuld go away! And in the month and a half I've been off, I have gotten 2 inflamed pimples and they went away quickly! I have, however, received quite a few small white bumps that you can only see if you're super close to the mirror, especially when I got off! Just keep in mind this may happen to you, but do not pick at them!! They never got inflamed, I just put some salycilic acid on them and they disappear after a few days!! smile.png It's great great great! And those are decreasing in number -- my skin was just getting used to getting of the drug I suppose!!

Some oil has come back but I was never really oily before, But it's good because now my skin isn't so dry!!

Remember to constantly moisturize to prevent scarring!!!

When I was on it, I got sooo dry that when I'd shower, I would just rinse my face gently, then get out and apply moisturizer generously!! Specifically Aveeno Ultra-Calming SP15 moisturizer! It's expensive but definitely definitely worth it, especially if you are fair-skinned (or were before you started lol I was always red and flushed on it!) And then I'd use cetaphil wash at night and apply tons and tons of lotion (moisturizing cream for gentle skin)! And I never got too flaky!!

If you have any crazy side effects tell me and I'll tell you how I dealt with them! Lol I got a lot!

Holy crap... I ended every sentence with an exclamation point. hahaha smile.png

P.S. I really do believe that which cheek you sleep on matters. because me and my twin both sleep on our right cheeks and our acne has always been worse on our right cheeks! /: and that's where i have all my PIH now. /:

MemberMember
(@pam24nyc)

Posted : 06/23/2012 9:06 pm

Nick, you are soooo young, which is great that you went on Accutane and now you don't really have any scars. Unfortunately, my mom wouldn't let me get on Accutane when I was your age and now I am 32 and I have some very deep scars on my cheecks etc. I hope that I will be part of the 80% that accutane actually works for because I want to believe in this drug. But I am dissappointed in getting the flare ups while on Accutane. I am also trying to be careful in the Sun because I heard Accutane makes you sensitive to the sun, while other people said its not so sensitive.

Nick- I saw that you took it during the winter. Did you have nosebleeds? Headaches?

I am not so worried about the side effects as I am right now with these huge cycts. I feel like just not eatting anymore, so I can see if it is caused by my diet.