Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mamascarface

Scared over Scars

Hi,

I am worried about making a deciosion about a treament for my acne scars. I am totally frightened about choising a DR and then a treatment.

We live in Indiana(near Indianapolis). I have just read about how nothing really removes these deep,pitted scars like I have and I am afraid to decide on one thing that may work less effectively. These scars are the sorrow of my life,I hardly remember my life when I did not feel like a total circus "freek". I told my husband that if a treatment would not be effective to the point that it does not look normal that I don't want to do it. I have two amazing kids and I don't want to deprive them of the money that it would take if it's just a minmal result. I mean that this had better be the BEST and MOST drastic choice. It would of coarse mean the world to me simply feel normal. I am 31 years old and would like to fufill my dream of feeling normal while I am still young eusa_boohoo.gif I know,I know things could be much worse but in all honesty these scars have scared more than the skin on my face.

My scars are deep and pitted-I have unactive(currently)cystic acne. I am controling it w/pan oxyl soap and nutergena acne treatment but who knows it could attack me at any time in full force. At any rate I am curious as to what treatments and surgeries and treatments cause the greatest result to a face like mine. How did some of you here make the big decision on a DR and a treatment? How are you feeling about the choices youve made and what advice can you give to someone like me?

Thanks

Hi, I have mild to moderate atrophic scarring, and the treatment I decided on was fillers. I currently have Restylane in my worst scars and am very happy. cool.gif I will probably opt for a longer-lasting filler if and when one comes along and hopefully, is FDA approved. I am also about to try some TCA Cross for spot treatments. There is a lot of info on this board you can find by searching for the phrase "TCA Cross." Probably a light resurfacing is also in my future. I would suggest you look into treatments such as these, and also read the FAQ and tell us what types of scars you have, since the best treatments are very different. Good luck with whatever you decide.

To quote a great lyric by the band, Rush: If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice. Albeit, for pitted scars, not a very good one.

Hi, I have mild to moderate atrophic scarring, and the treatment I decided on was fillers. I currently have Restylane in my worst scars and am very happy.  cool.gif  I will probably opt for a longer-lasting filler if and when one comes along and hopefully, is FDA approved. I am also about to try some TCA Cross for spot treatments. There is a lot of info on this board you can find by searching for the phrase "TCA Cross." Probably a light resurfacing is also in my future. I would suggest you look into treatments such as these, and also read the FAQ and tell us what types of scars you have, since the best treatments are very different. Good luck with whatever you decide.

To quote a great lyric by the band, Rush: If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice. Albeit, for pitted scars, not a very good one.

Old guy,

First Thanks for the reply.

I looked up the different typs of scars.

I have ice pick(not may),Rolling and keloid scars. My face looks like a train wreck. I am not sure what atrophic means, I am sorry but as a mom I have very limited time and it does not help that I am slow w/the computer too,so I did not know what that means. I have been told that another name for my type of acne is lymphphatic acne.I hope I spelled that correctly?

When someone has the more agressive treatments like dermabrasion and CO2 laser,is that usually the last resort? I saw that someone had dermabrasion twice.

Can one have the laser surger more than once?

Thanks

(typing as my 4 year old is trying to get me off the computer)

Before treating acne scarring, you should be as free of acne as possible because some scar treatments can exacerbate acne.

Do as much research as possible and you will become less worried. Knowledge is power, as they say. You should make appointments with several Doctors in your area and ask their opinions for your particular scarring. Then, you need to research the various procedures yourself.

You're not alone! There's tons of information on this board, other boards and loads of websites.

mama-I applaud you for at least considering trying to make the scars better.It's very scary I know,when you have to deal with these scars everyday and you wish that you can have normal skin again.It's just as scary dealing with trying to fix the problem because of the uncertainty of the procedures and the cost.This is a great site to be around people who are in the same boat.Hopefully you'll find the satisfaction you deserve when you confront this challenge.