Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
evan3037

Becoming an emancipated minor

My parents wont let me get accutane becase they think ill kill myself, ive had acne for the past 5 years trying bp, salycidic acid, differin, retin a micro, clyndamicyn, and 5 different antibiotics

my derm gave me an accutanee book about a year ago and recomend i try accutane, but my parents wotn let me get it

is there any way to become an emancipated minor but still be able to live at home and be fed and stuff? Has anyone else ever tried to become one?

I would do anythign to get rid of this acne

My parents wont let me get accutane becase they think ill kill myself, ive had acne for the past 5 years trying bp, salycidic acid, differin, retin a micro, clyndamicyn, and 5 different antibiotics

my derm gave me an accutanee book about a year ago and recomend i try accutane, but my parents wotn let me get it

is there any way to become an emancipated minor but still be able to live at home and be fed and stuff? Has anyone else ever tried to become one?

I am currently 16 years old, and yes i do need them for insurance. No, ive never been depressed before aside from when i cant do things i used to like such as swimming because i wont take off my shirt and reveal my back acne.

Speaking from someone who has suffered from depression her entire life and also been hospitalized, I hope that this can help influence your parents. The so-called "suicide idealogy" related to the use of Accutane in my treatment thus far as not existed. Of course, I have had some very low moments, especially during the initial breakout, where I felt hopeless regarding the possibility of ever having clear skin again however, I do not believe that those emotions had anything to do with the drug whatsoever and only my own frustration over my acne.

If your doctor has tried all the other possible treatments from antibiotics to lotions, and you are still breaking out in moderate to severe acne, then I would suggest bringing your parents with you to the doctor to discuss getting on accutane. If they are scared of a potential suicide attempt, show them this message board and all of the posts regarding side effects on accutane. I am sure that they will notice that the majority of posts are regarding dry lips, joint pains, breakouts in different places but rarely ever suicide and depression.

As far as emancipation goes, chances are that the authorities will decide against it since you are not in an abusive situation. If you are, I hope that you contact a social worker (not that they are all good) or someone you trust in an effort to help you out. Your parents not allowing you to take a drug because they are under the belief that you may harm yourself is really no cause for emancipation.

I wish you the best of luck in seeking a cure for your acne. I know it can be upsetting. If you need any support, let us know.