Notifications
Clear all

Photos Of My Scars - What Would You Do To Fix These?

MemberMember
(@readytosmileagain)

Posted : 06/08/2012 12:26 pm

Okay friends

yesterday i was having a good day... i felt pretty so i took a photo of myself to send my man, just me with a smile, then i accidently kept the camera on as i sat down in my office chair and i looked down and caught these... these amazing photos of what i really look like...

im at a point where i can not stand myself and i can not do anything without thinking of the lighting, the outfit, how my hair always has to be down, etc... it controls my every thought and my every move... i need your help to what i do now... because i used to feel very pretty but lately i feel like my scars keep getting worse and worse... i dont even wear my contacts anymore because i cant stand to see myself in the mirror and when i have my glasses on i take them off before i go to the bathroom because i just cant do it... im to a point where i just cant take it any more...

please take a look and help me out!

ive talked to a plastic surgeon about Fraxel... he said he would do it for 950 a piece and ill need at least 2... ive heard so many stories about how it doesnt work so im skeptical...

MemberMember
(@lzomg)

Posted : 06/08/2012 12:33 pm

Subcision + Fraxel Repair is very potent for your type of scarring. And whenever your surgeon refers to Fraxel is he Referring to Fraxel Restore or Repair? If he is talking about Restore take your money and find someone else. If he is mentioning Repair then that is a very good laser for acne scars. And he is correct you will need multiple treatments. here is someone with similar scarring that got Subcision + Fractional CO2 laser.
/> http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/315693-asian-doing-mixto-for-acne-scars-on-cheeks/

MemberMember
(@readytosmileagain)

Posted : 06/08/2012 12:42 pm

thanks so much - yeah subcision is never recommended - my derm just gave me Differin, glycolic wash and an alpha hydroxy lotion and said that should work... this was all afte the accutane and i honestly think they are just getting worse...

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 06/08/2012 1:28 pm

Sadly, you have some deep scars. I agree that subcision & Fractional Co2 (ablative) are your best options. The key to your success is going to be your treating physician's skill. You need to find someone highly experienced in treating your type of scarring with a good success rate. The right doctor will care about helping you reach your goals.

There is no way any topical is going to improve your scars. I'm surprised your derm told you it should help. He may not have the right experience to help you in this way.

For $950, I have to assume the plastic surgeon is suggesting Fraxel Restore. At least, based on California pricing, it sounds like Restore. Unfortunately, non-ablative laser is not going to help much either.

MemberMember
(@lzomg)

Posted : 06/08/2012 1:37 pm

thanks so much - yeah subcision is never recommended - my derm just gave me Differin, glycolic wash and an alpha hydroxy lotion and said that should work... this was all afte the accutane and i honestly think they are just getting worse...

How long ago did you take accutane.

I beleieve you are suppose to wait a year until you can try to fix any acne scars. Accutane effects your skins natural healing process causing it to me more prone to scarring that is why you have to wait a year.

MemberMember
(@readytosmileagain)

Posted : 06/08/2012 1:42 pm

it makes me sad that the surgeon would suggest something that wouldnt help you know... makes me so frustrated. and this doctor is one of the best in PA and in the US - the thing that go to me though is when i was sitting there and he was looking at my skin and i was talking about how i feel, etc. he didnt even listen and when i addressed my concerns, he said you know you are super skeptical, i dont know if i want you as a patient of mine... i was blown away - he was very cocky and its because hes on TV, in the media etc. cost me 150 dollars just for the consult...

i stopped the accutane in august on 2010

oh also - in a year we are going to start trying to have a baby... so my one friend suggested i wait to do anything for the scars til after i have kids because my acne could get worse and i could get more scarring... thoughts on that? since you all know my mental state right now... how badly i need a change

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 06/08/2012 1:45 pm

it makes me sad that the surgeon would suggest something that wouldnt help you know... makes me so frustrated. and this doctor is one of the best in PA and in the US - the thing that go to me though is when i was sitting there and he was looking at my skin and i was talking about how i feel, etc. he didnt even listen and when i addressed my concerns, he said you know you are super skeptical, i dont know if i want you as a patient of mine... i was blown away - he was very cocky and its because hes on TV, in the media etc. cost me 150 dollars just for the consult...

You'll know when you find the right doctor. Obviously, he is not the right doctor. It angers me when I hear about doctors like this.

I've never paid a consultation fee yet. Some people believe, a confident, experienced doctor, who truly cares about helping his/her patients, won't charge a consultation fee.

MemberMember
(@readytosmileagain)

Posted : 06/08/2012 1:48 pm

one of the reasons why i think my doc thought the topicals would help was because she didnt see the scars at this angle and i honestly feel like right when i stopped the accutane, the scars were not this bad... is that possible? could they get worse without any further break outs? i think im losin my mind... can the topicals make it worse??

yeah as much as i want to schedule the fraxel today i just am so hesitant to contact him to do it - but i dont know a lot of other well known laser surgeons in the area so i dont know where to start to continue to look... anyone on here in the philly area and have a recommendation??

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 06/08/2012 1:49 pm

oh also - in a year we are going to start trying to have a baby... so my one friend suggested i wait to do anything for the scars til after i have kids because my acne could get worse and i could get more scarring... thoughts on that? since you all know my mental state right now... how badly i need a change

I don't have any experience with that. Hopefully, someone with experience will comment.

MemberMember
(@readytosmileagain)

Posted : 06/08/2012 1:56 pm

this was just a year ago http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/296381-im-using-glycolic-acid-aha-and-differin/page__p__3088554#entry3088554

i didnt have any crazy break out from then until now - i think the camera angle has a lot to do with it - i should put make up on and take photos in the same places i took these and see if they look the same but i dont know, i sound like im going crazy ( i think i am haha)

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 06/08/2012 2:16 pm

one of the reasons why i think my doc thought the topicals would help was because she didnt see the scars at this angle and i honestly feel like right when i stopped the accutane, the scars were not this bad... is that possible? could they get worse without any further break outs? i think im losin my mind... can the topicals make it worse??

yeah as much as i want to schedule the fraxel today i just am so hesitant to contact him to do it - but i dont know a lot of other well known laser surgeons in the area so i dont know where to start to continue to look... anyone on here in the philly area and have a recommendation??

I've never been on accutane, but I have heard of scars surfacing after accutane. I don't think topicals alone can make your skin worse. It can improve overall texture and pigment. I am actively using Retin-a and it did make my scars look worse at first. Over time, as your skin thickens, the scars should return to normal. Make sure you're using a good moisturizer. Retin-a & similar topicals can irritate & dry your skin. The irritation makes it look worse.

I wouldn't use that doctor. He doesn't sound sincere about helping you. I had a consultation on Tuesday. While I was explaining my history with treating my scars, the doctor sensed my skepticism. He was so confident in his ability to help me, he spot treated a scar during consultation. He had me put on a hair net, examined my face from every angle, removed my makeup from one cheek, gave me a mirror with this bright light shining on my face (I was horrified by what I saw), and pointed out my scars to me. He picked the deepest scar on my face, applied a numbing cream, and took me in the laser room about 10 minutes later. He showed me the laser's many settings, explained how it works and treated my scar. I'm still healing, but so far, I can't see the scar, AT ALL. He is obviously a doctor who is passionate about his work and helping scar victims. You need to find someone similar. I wish I could suggest someone.

MemberMember
(@readytosmileagain)

Posted : 06/08/2012 2:27 pm

wow what a great doctor!!!! yeah this guy laughed and said now i know why you were referred to me, maybe your other derm couldnt handle you any more ... and then he flirted with my mom ... it was all quite odd... my mom didnt help the situation - she flat out asked the doc if she caused my scars because when she was pregnant with me she was on steriods for the duration of the pregnancy (30 yrs ago i guess it didnt matter if u were on steriods for Crohns Disease while carrying a baby...) so the doc took a lot of time to REASSURE my mom that she didnt "do this to me" and flirted with her while i sat there thinking to my self, hello, you hardly are looking at my face...

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 06/08/2012 2:55 pm

Wow! He sounds like a jerk. Without question, I would quickly forget his name. My doctor doesn't self promote on sites like realself. You won't find him in the media. He is a true gem in the rough. I believe more exist out there. It's just going to take time and research to find the right one. Don't give up and don't settle. If you're feeling uncomfortable, at all, keep looking. The goal is to improve your scars, not a doctor's bank account. There are many doctors out there who are in this business for the money and fame. There are many using lasers, who are not qualified to treat scars. You actually don't need any training in the USA to offer laser treatment. You don't even need to be a doctor. The more knowledge you have about acne scars and treatments available to you (ones that actually work), the more likely you are to have success in improving your scars. It's been a long journey for me and many others at this forum, so don't let it get you down if you hit a few walls along the way.

MemberMember
(@coppedsynergy999)

Posted : 06/08/2012 3:16 pm

Subcision/Suction is a great place to start. Look up Mr.Matt. Hes a subcision veteran. I think you are hot so thats a plus.

MemberMember
(@readytosmileagain)

Posted : 06/08/2012 3:36 pm

has anyone figured out if certain make up could cause scarring?

and thanks for the hot comment - i needed that smile right now.

MemberMember
(@fruitbiscuits)

Posted : 06/08/2012 3:53 pm

I don't think makeup can cause scarring, but it can clog your pores and cause acne. So make sure to buy non comedogenic makeups.

But I know makeup makes my scars look WORSE every time I wear it...and I hate wearing makeup...=(

....seriously all doctors I've met so far are just money greedy people and they suck...! they always try to sell me non-ablative laser treatments. when I try to tell them I've tried non-ablative laser treatments and they didn't do anything to my scars, then they say things like "you have to keep having multiple treatments until all your scars are gone. It's an expensive treatment, but don't give up and try again, and you'll be happy. buy our treatment package today!" oh sure! eusa_liar.gif ...I made mistake twice, but not any more...=(

MemberMember
(@readytosmileagain)

Posted : 06/08/2012 4:29 pm

So what have u done for your scars? Do they look similar to mine?

MemberMember
(@soontobemd)

Posted : 06/08/2012 4:39 pm

Unfortunately you see this a lot with highly reputable doctors, especially surgeons. Try not to let it bother you.

As for having a baby, I am happy that you are waiting a year, isotretinoin is a known teratogen which can lead to severe birth defects. Generally doctors recommend that their patients not get pregnant for at least a month after ending accutane, but the longer the better.

It is true that pregnancy can lead to acne flare ups. The hormones released during pregnancy and the stress associated with being pregnant can lead to gestational acne that usually resides soon after pregnancy is over. This may be alleviated by washing your face more frequently with a mild cleanser like cetaphil.

As for makeup, my ex used to always rave about bare essentials make up, and how it was the only make up that didn't make her break out. Maybe give it a try? Good luck!

MemberMember
(@readytosmileagain)

Posted : 06/08/2012 4:49 pm

Thanks! I don't really break out any more - what u are seeing here is all scarring and it's only been getting worse over time (while I haven't been breaking out at all) so I have no idea why that happening... I have tried bare essentials - didn't mind it but with my skin coloring it didn't match and I looked very yellow. I have no idea why my scarring keeps looking worse and worse...

And I've actually changed my regimen about a year ago and I wash with cetaphyl daily in the morning, before I work out, after I work out ad before bed - pregnancy and hormonal acne scars the crap out of me... Thinking about doing all kinds of work to my face for the scarring and then having kids and having the potential for bad acne again makes me think I should wait but then again I can't stand the way I look and feel so I dont know what might be the best thing to do about all that... I try to talk to my hubby but I honestly think he can't listen to me discuss this any longer...

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 06/08/2012 8:07 pm

Your derm is an idiot. Ablative treatments are the only solution for these scars. Topicals help pigmentation...

MemberMember
(@readytosmileagain)

Posted : 06/08/2012 8:25 pm

Yeah - I think I'm going to continue to try and get opinions from other docs... Has anyone else experienced this type of feeling where one day u feel like the scars are ok and then the next day looking worse - I just hope it's not something I'm doing to make them worse - I feel like more and more pop up every day... I think I'm just imagining it at this point because I'm constantly paranoid about them... I try to give myself a pep talk that I make the scars look cute buuuut that smiling voice in my head lasts two minutes, tops haha

MemberMember
(@dragz)

Posted : 06/08/2012 8:50 pm

Yeah - I think I'm going to continue to try and get opinions from other docs... Has anyone else experienced this type of feeling where one day u feel like the scars are ok and then the next day looking worse - I just hope it's not something I'm doing to make them worse - I feel like more and more pop up every day... I think I'm just imagining it at this point because I'm constantly paranoid about them... I try to give myself a pep talk that I make the scars look cute buuuut that smiling voice in my head lasts two minutes, tops haha

Your skin is very elastic, so the scars change depending on the time of day, the weather, how much you've moved your skin, and your overall energy levels. You've probably noticed that some of your scars are less noticeable right when you wake than when you come home after work, right? That's because you actually swell up a bit while you're sleeping, since the liquids in your body are redistributing.

So yeah, it's all very relative, which makes it tricky to accurately judge.

MemberMember
(@readytosmileagain)

Posted : 06/08/2012 10:10 pm

So true - in the mornings I always am ok with looking in the mirror ;) my oily skin by 3 pm doesn't help much... I wish there was a supplement I could take to make my oily skin subside...

MemberMember
(@allrighty)

Posted : 06/10/2012 5:46 am

You look beautiful scars and all!!!

I hope u can find something that helps

A BIG hug from Australia!!!

MemberMember
(@readytosmileagain)

Posted : 06/12/2012 7:56 am

thanks so much - im so down lately, i honestly feel like out of no where they just keep getting worse and worse... lately ive been so down i dont want to do much of anything :(