Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi everyone!

I've trolled the Acne.org message boards for years now, starting when I first developed moderate (on my face), and nodular (on my back/chest) acne at 16.

At 22, I've been on two different formulations of Retin-A Micro (.01 and .04, I think), Ziana, Benzaclin, Epiduo, clindamycin lotion, Finacea, BCP, spironolactone, doxycycline, and every OTC acne medication you could possibly imagine. I used every topical as prescribed for at least three months. I've spent hundreds of dollars on skin care products. Birth control was the only thing that helped (completely cleared up my back/chest), but I've continued to break out and my skin is scarred on my cheeks and jawline. Additionally, the state of my skin has absolutely destroyed my self-esteem, especially because everyone in my family has perfect skin.

My acne, for whatever reason, is treatment resistant, but dermatologists in the past have refused to prescribe me Accutane because I'm diagnosed with bipolar disorder + other mental health issues.

My current dermatologist is a lovely, older, knowledgeable man who is close friends with my psychiatrist. He agreed to prescribe me Accutane on the condition that I'm honest about how it's affecting my mood, both with him and my psychiatrist. As someone who is unwilling to put up with truly miserable side effects (38 psych meds in the past seven years and counting...), I told him I didn't think it would be a problem.

I picked up my prescription today, and though I was told I would be doing a lower dose course, his secretary called in a prescription for 40mgs twice a day. I'm not going to start until I call their office tomorrow and confirm the dosage, but whatever. I'm elated!

I'm really, really excited about going on Accutane, and I want to use this log to track my mood and my progress. I'm also here to offer support for others who struggle with acne because I know how crappy it can make you feel about yourself.

One thing, though: I am not interested in people judging me for "putting my mental health in jeopardy" and "making irresponsible decisions." This is a calculated risk- a decision that I made as an educated, self-aware, consenting ADULT.

Furthermore, your opinions on the severity of my acne and my "need" for the drug are of no concern to me. My acne, as I said, has really affected my self-esteem, my social relationships, the way I dress, etc.

I won't judge your decisions- please don't judge mine.

I'm looking forward to interacting with you all! rolleyes.gif

Edited by riceballinafruitsbasket

First of all good luck with you treatment.

Did you say you were having 40 mgs twice a day? Because that's a high dose to start on. A low dose, that is meant to be affective (not my opinion here, because I don't know enough to have my own), would be around half your weight. I'll use myself as an example here. I am starting on 20 mg/day, sort of a pretest type thing, to minimise my initial break out. Then I shall be going on a 40 mg dose, after five weeks on 20 mgs. I guess I'll got to 60 mgs after that, but because I haven't even really "officially" start my real treatment yet, my derm hasn't mentioned that. For the record I am 74 kg and 22 years old, not that the age means much I guess. So hopefully you can understand what I mean when I'm saying 40 mgs twice a day is high. If your daily dose is 40 mgs, but it's done in two 20 mg doses, that makes a lot more sense to me.

Again I'd just like to wish you good luck for your treatment.

Thank you for you support! smile.png

Yeah, I think it's way too high, so I'm going to call their office tomorrow. I only weight about 52-53kg, so it seems excessive to me, too.

Good luck with your treatment, too.

Edited by riceballinafruitsbasket

Haha, as suspected, derm's secretary made an error. I'm starting at 20mgs and will probably remain at that dosage for the duration of my Accutane course. I was able to reach derm on his cell phone, so it was called into the pharmacy right before they closed. Back to Target tomorrow! cool.png

You must be so excited to finally start taking Accutane! I'm really interested in reading about your progress and to see if it impacts your mood at all. Hopefully everything goes well!

Don't listen to any negative comments! While it seems a majority of people who take Accutane have more severe acne, there are plenty of people with mild to moderate persistent acne who take it. Myself included. And trust me, when I first posted photos of my skin here, I thought I was going to get a bunch of comments from people telling me I didn't need Accutane. I didn't though. Most of the people that frequent this forum are pretty supportive.

Anyway. Good luck on your course! Hopefully Accutane is just what you need to clear up your skin!

Guest *Spiro*

Congratulations on starting the accutane process! It will be interesting to read your progress for sure! Hopefully the low dosage will not affect your mood and side effects aren't severe at all!

For the most part people are very supportive. Although there are some duds from time to time. Just remember to keep your head up and stick it through. This is a long journey but with the help of the people on here it will help you stay strong for sure!! Best of luck to you :)

Day 1:

So apparently even though my dermatologist called iPledge and tried to change my dose, he can't, so I've been instructed to take a 40mg table every other day until I see him again in a month. I really don't care, I'm just so eager to start.

I nearly had a meltdown just getting this freaking drug filled at the pharmacy/dealing with iPledge, so I hope that's not a sign of bad things to come. wacko.pngeusa_boohoo.gif

I bought Vitamin E oil and Emu oil to help with my problem areas, and I am now the proud owner of multiple tubes of Aquaphor.

It occurred to me that I'm probably going to have to get up much earlier to run since I live in a hot and sunny climate.

Good grief.

I'm so thrilled though. Fingers crossed that this doesn't derail me- I have to start summer classes in a few weeks! I'll take my first dose tonight.

In other news: My dad is now a judge! All of the local election results are in (we had been waiting on walk-in absentee ballots), and it's official! Our family will be celebrating tonight. Happy Friday!

Day 2:

Took my first dose last night with a spoonful of peanut butter and I'm not dead yet. 1eye.gif I don't know how long it's supposed to take before the psychological side effects are supposed to kick in but with other drugs I can usually tell right away if they're screwing around with my mood, so I'm optimistic. I'm going to wait a few weeks before I come to any conclusions though, obviously.

TBH I'm really not worried about becoming depressed as I don't think I've ever been truly depressed in my life- since I have Type I, I swing WAYYYY up, and any sadness I feel is a result of dysphoric mania (agitation, sleeplessness, disorganized thoughts, emotional lability etc. I am not one of those can't-get-out-of-bed depressives) so I'm more concerned about having a psychotic break on Accutane than anything else, but we'll see.

About to head out for a run and then off to have lunch with an old friend.

I

Took my second dose today, and I'm in pain. Not debilitating, obviously (observing, not whining), but definitely noticeable.

I have a bad right "runner's" knee that usually only hurts after I've hit the five mile mark. Now it hurts to walk on it, and my ankles are sore, not to mention muscle aches in my left leg.

If this continues I won't be able to run, and my back up exercise plan, swimming, is kind of out too, considering that lap swim hours are in the middle of the day, and chlorine sucks the life of my skin at the best of times.

Oh, problems of the First World.

My mood is the same.

I have comedonal acne popping up all along my jawline already, and I'm not sure if that's from Accutane or my cycle.

Hi!!!

I really like your username. I think it's really cute, considering I'm a food lover. Also love how healthy and active you are! Keep it up. The worst part for me has been the fatigue. I haven't had joint pain....you might have to scale back on some of the exercise. Not give it up, just cut back here and there. That was the advice my derm gave me, so you may want to double check as well if you're having pain.

I think we weigh the same and I'm on 40 mg/day. I've seen really great results within a month, so I hope things work out for you, but don't be discouraged if it takes time. Some of my friends on here have taken several months to see progress.

As for the mental health side effects, I only had one clear-cut sort of mental breakdown, but that was from a combination of almost being in a car accident, getting my period, finishing grad school, etc. I don't know if the accutane intensified my reaction in any way, but I am 100% certain that it hasn't given me depressed or suicidal thoughts. If anything, it's made me really happy because it's working!!! Like I said, the only major thing that's bothered me is the fatigue, which did bum me out for a few weeks...I had a hard time getting out of bed sometimes, and making it through the day. I hope this helps.

I'll be following your log, and let me know if you need any help or advice. smile.png

Gina

Edited by Guest

Ouch! I'm sorry you're in pain. :( I hope you're feeling better soon! I have to agree with Gina though... You might want to cut back on the exercise while you're taking Accutane. You certainly don't have to stop exercising altogether, but you definitely want to take it easy. Your body is very fragile on Accutane and it's still adjusting to the drug since you just started taking it. Try to get some rest for now!

Like Gina, I'm also seeing good results so far on 40mg. Hopefully it works out the same for you!

Hey riceball!

It seems really early in your course to start having joint pain. Maybe it's something else? That sucks that you wouldn't be able to swim because of the chlorine! What if you used a barrier cream? I've never used it, I don't know if it works or even if that's what it's for, but maybe it'd be worth looking into. If you do swim, make sure to use a bathing cap though, or your scalp will suffer!

My dermatologist was very dismissive about accutane causing depression. He said that he believes that people get on it, often after waiting a long time, and expect instant miracles. Their depression is caused by their acne, not the drug. From my own limited experience, I agree with him. I'm in my third month at 60 mgs and I'm still getting new pimples, and old ones take forever to heal. It may work even more slowly for you since you are on a lower dose. Maybe you should keep your expectations low to avoid that emotional rollercoaster. The only way I find that it directly affects my mood is that I get cranky because of the fatigue.

Good luck and keep us in the loop!

Oh, and congrats to your dad!

Guest *Spiro*

Took my second dose today, and I'm in pain. Not debilitating, obviously (observing, not whining), but definitely noticeable.

I have a bad right "runner's" knee that usually only hurts after I've hit the five mile mark. Now it hurts to walk on it, and my ankles are sore, not to mention muscle aches in my left leg.

If this continues I won't be able to run, and my back up exercise plan, swimming, is kind of out too, considering that lap swim hours are in the middle of the day, and chlorine sucks the life of my skin at the best of times.

My mood is the same.

I have comedonal acne popping up all along my jawline already, and I'm not sure if that's from Accutane or my cycle.

Sorry to hear that you are in pain!! I am wondering if it is the accutane though. It seems very fast for your joints to react already. It is possible though. I started getting joint pains after my 1st month. I now take supplements to help with those side effects and I am fine now. Took a couple of weeks for the supplements to kick in and do their magic, but they did! I take Fish oil supplements daily and glucosamine sulfate daily to rid me of my joint pains. I started the fish oil first and notice a improvement but I wasn't happy with the pain still. I then worked the glucosamine into my routine and shortly after that I wasn't having joint pains anymore! This doesn't work for everyone but it is worth a try! I was having pains in my knees and ankles.

You have to baby yourself while on this medicine. Some people have to cut exercise out 100%, you might not need to but it sure sounds like you are going to need to cut it done. Play around with it and see what your body can take. Don't push it though, you will be sorry you did! Plus you don't want to hurt anything or cause damage that you wouldn't have had if you were to have taken it slower.

I have heard of lots of people cycling instead of running or swimming instead of running. The cycling would be easier on your joints anyways. Obviously the swimming would be great for your joints, but if the chlorine is terrible for your skin in normal conditions then I am sure it won't be better on the accutane. My skin on my body dried out really quick. If I moisturize daily I can combat that fine though. I have been swimming since starting and things have been fine. Good tip from Tiger though about wearing the cap if you do go swimming! That will help your scalp out a great deal!

Lots of people on here including myself had a hell of a time with the jaw and accutane. I broke out BAD on my jaw for 2 months straight! It was horrible! Im not sure what it is why the jaw is such a problem area but it sure seems to be for people! Good to hear your mood has been unchanged!

Hi!!!

I really like your username. I think it's really cute, considering I'm a food lover. Also love how healthy and active you are! Keep it up. The worst part for me has been the fatigue. I haven't had joint pain....you might have to scale back on some of the exercise. Not give it up, just cut back here and there. That was the advice my derm gave me, so you may want to double check as well if you're having pain.

I think we weigh the same and I'm on 40 mg/day. I've seen really great results within a month, so I hope things work out for you, but don't be discouraged if it takes time. Some of my friends on here have taken several months to see progress.

As for the mental health side effects, I only had one clear-cut sort of mental breakdown, but that was from a combination of almost being in a car accident, getting my period, finishing grad school, etc. I don't know if the accutane intensified my reaction in any way, but I am 100% certain that it hasn't given me depressed or suicidal thoughts. If anything, it's made me really happy because it's working!!! Like I said, the only major thing that's bothered me is the fatigue, which did bum me out for a few weeks...I had a hard time getting out of bed sometimes, and making it through the day. I hope this helps.

I'll be following your log, and let me know if you need any help or advice. smile.png

Gina

Hi Gina! Thank you for reading my log! :) I'm glad you like my silly username- it's from this manga called "Fruits Basket" I read when I was a kid. And thank you for the advice- I was having a hard time believing that the Accutane side effects would kick in that quickly but I don't know what else would have caused it. It's getting too hot here for me to be outside, anyway, I guess. I'm glad to hear that you haven't had any mental health side effects. From what I've read, it seems like tane-associated psych problems come more from anecevidence than actual science (which isn't to say that they don't exist, just that they might be blown out of proportion) but I keep cautious all the same.

I love food, too, and spend a lot of time thinking about what I'm going to cook for dinner. The guys at the fish market near my house have affectionately dubbed me "Salmon Girl."

I read in your log that you're moving to London! I think that's so great- I lived in Edinburgh for a year for school and I absolutely adore the UK. I'm also really jealous that you live in Seattle- UW is my top choice for library school. cool.png

Ouch! I'm sorry you're in pain. sad.png I hope you're feeling better soon! I have to agree with Gina though... You might want to cut back on the exercise while you're taking Accutane. You certainly don't have to stop exercising altogether, but you definitely want to take it easy. Your body is very fragile on Accutane and it's still adjusting to the drug since you just started taking it. Try to get some rest for now!

Like Gina, I'm also seeing good results so far on 40mg. Hopefully it works out the same for you!

Hey Rachel! Yeah, I'm beginning to understand the delightful side effects of Acctuane, and you're definitely right- I'm going to have to find a lower-impact sport for the time being.

I do think I'm already beginning to see comedones coming to the surface (I was shocked at all the blackheads on my jawline when I took pictures of my face today), and I'm breaking out in little red bumps on my cheeks. It's strange how normally I'd be freaking out and I'm like, "Bring in on, Accutane!" eusa_pray.gif

Hey riceball!

It seems really early in your course to start having joint pain. Maybe it's something else? That sucks that you wouldn't be able to swim because of the chlorine! What if you used a barrier cream? I've never used it, I don't know if it works or even if that's what it's for, but maybe it'd be worth looking into. If you do swim, make sure to use a bathing cap though, or your scalp will suffer!

My dermatologist was very dismissive about accutane causing depression. He said that he believes that people get on it, often after waiting a long time, and expect instant miracles. Their depression is caused by their acne, not the drug. From my own limited experience, I agree with him. I'm in my third month at 60 mgs and I'm still getting new pimples, and old ones take forever to heal. It may work even more slowly for you since you are on a lower dose. Maybe you should keep your expectations low to avoid that emotional rollercoaster. The only way I find that it directly affects my mood is that I get cranky because of the fatigue.

Hi Betty! I was shocked at how soon the joint pain start, too, but I can't think of anything else that would have caused it- I've been running the same distance five days a week for the past few years with few problems.

In terms of swimming, the public pool I use is pretty conservative in terms of what you can "wear" into the pool. Swimsuit/cap required, sunblock okay, but you're supposed to shower before you enter and not wear any cream into the pool that isn't totally waterproof. I'll probably just have to find a place to do yoga or something, but thank you very much for the suggestion. :)

My derm thinks that the depression side effects are exaggerated, too, but I'm glad that he was cautious and ready to consult with my psychiatrist, etc. I have really low expectations for medications, but I'm pretty patient with this kind of thing, so I'm in it for the long haul. I've wait six years to do this, so my skin's already in kind of a state and I'm not expecting miracles.

Thank you for reading my log, and for your support. Oh! And thanks about my dad. We're thrilled. He's been a public defender for 20 years so it was time for a change. wub.png

My mood is the same.

Sorry to hear that you are in pain!! I am wondering if it is the accutane though. It seems very fast for your joints to react already. It is possible though. I started getting joint pains after my 1st month. I now take supplements to help with those side effects and I am fine now. Took a couple of weeks for the supplements to kick in and do their magic, but they did! I take Fish oil supplements daily and glucosamine sulfate daily to rid me of my joint pains. I started the fish oil first and notice a improvement but I wasn't happy with the pain still. I then worked the glucosamine into my routine and shortly after that I wasn't having joint pains anymore! This doesn't work for everyone but it is worth a try! I was having pains in my knees and ankles.

You have to baby yourself while on this medicine. Some people have to cut exercise out 100%, you might not need to but it sure sounds like you are going to need to cut it done. Play around with it and see what your body can take. Don't push it though, you will be sorry you did! Plus you don't want to hurt anything or cause damage that you wouldn't have had if you were to have taken it slower.

I have heard of lots of people cycling instead of running or swimming instead of running. The cycling would be easier on your joints anyways. Obviously the swimming would be great for your joints, but if the chlorine is terrible for your skin in normal conditions then I am sure it won't be better on the accutane. My skin on my body dried out really quick. If I moisturize daily I can combat that fine though. I have been swimming since starting and things have been fine. Good tip from Tiger though about wearing the cap if you do go swimming! That will help your scalp out a great deal!

Lots of people on here including myself had a hell of a time with the jaw and accutane. I broke out BAD on my jaw for 2 months straight! It was horrible! Im not sure what it is why the jaw is such a problem area but it sure seems to be for people! Good to hear your mood has been unchanged!

I'm really, really glad to hear that the fish oil/glucosamine works for you! Once I start a supplement regimen I get really into it, and it's good to know that it takes a few weeks to kick in.

I will definitely have to cut down on the exercise or find something else to do entirely. Honestly, since it's been over a hundred degrees the past few days, I really shouldn't be exercising in it anyway.

In terms of swimming, I have actually always used a swim cap to swim laps (hair in my face when I flip turn? NOOOOO haha), but I think I can find something else to do besides run and swim. I need to look into yoga (I'm at my parents' house right now) in this area.

And I'll keep that in mind about jawline breakouts. They seriously are the worst. crazy.gif

Guest *Spiro*

Yeah Yoga would be a good idea!!! Now that I am looking at your routine I see you already take fish oils and glucosamine! Silly me!

Hi!!!

Gina

Hi Gina! Thank you for reading my log! smile.png I'm glad you like my silly username- it's from this manga called "Fruits Basket" I read when I was a kid. And thank you for the advice- I was having a hard time believing that the Accutane side effects would kick in that quickly but I don't know what else would have caused it. It's getting too hot here for me to be outside, anyway, I guess. I'm glad to hear that you haven't had any mental health side effects. From what I've read, it seems like tane-associated psych problems come more from anecevidence than actual science (which isn't to say that they don't exist, just that they might be blown out of proportion) but I keep cautious all the same.

I love food, too, and spend a lot of time thinking about what I'm going to cook for dinner. The guys at the fish market near my house have affectionately dubbed me "Salmon Girl."

I read in your log that you're moving to London! I think that's so great- I lived in Edinburgh for a year for school and I absolutely adore the UK. I'm also really jealous that you live in Seattle- UW is my top choice for library school. cool.png

Ouch! I'm sorry you're in pain. sad.png I hope you're feeling better soon! I have to agree with Gina though... You might want to cut back on the exercise while you're taking Accutane. You certainly don't have to stop exercising altogether, but you definitely want to take it easy. Your body is very fragile on Accutane and it's still adjusting to the drug since you just started taking it. Try to get some rest for now!

Hey Rachel! Yeah, I'm beginning to understand the delightful side effects of Acctuane, and you're definitely right- I'm going to have to find a lower-impact sport for the time being.

I do think I'm already beginning to see comedones coming to the surface (I was shocked at all the blackheads on my jawline when I took pictures of my face today), and I'm breaking out in little red bumps on my cheeks. It's strange how normally I'd be freaking out and I'm like, "Bring in on, Accutane!" eusa_pray.gif

Hey riceball!

Hi Betty! I was shocked at how soon the joint pain start, too, but I can't think of anything else that would have caused it- I've been running the same distance five days a week for the past few years with few problems.

In terms of swimming, the public pool I use is pretty conservative in terms of what you can "wear" into the pool. Swimsuit/cap required, sunblock okay, but you're supposed to shower before you enter and not wear any cream into the pool that isn't totally waterproof. I'll probably just have to find a place to do yoga or something, but thank you very much for the suggestion. smile.png

My derm thinks that the depression side effects are exaggerated, too, but I'm glad that he was cautious and ready to consult with my psychiatrist, etc. I have really low expectations for medications, but I'm pretty patient with this kind of thing, so I'm in it for the long haul. I've wait six years to do this, so my skin's already in kind of a state and I'm not expecting miracles.

Thank you for reading my log, and for your support. Oh! And thanks about my dad. We're thrilled. He's been a public defender for 20 years so it was time for a change. wub.png

My mood is the same.

I'm really, really glad to hear that the fish oil/glucosamine works for you! Once I start a supplement regimen I get really into it, and it's good to know that it takes a few weeks to kick in.

I will definitely have to cut down on the exercise or find something else to do entirely. Honestly, since it's been over a hundred degrees the past few days, I really shouldn't be exercising in it anyway.

In terms of swimming, I have actually always used a swim cap to swim laps (hair in my face when I flip turn? NOOOOO haha), but I think I can find something else to do besides run and swim. I need to look into yoga (I'm at my parents' house right now) in this area.

And I'll keep that in mind about jawline breakouts. They seriously are the worst. crazy.gif

Library school!!! I applied and got into the one at University of South Florida, but chickened out at the last second! Or rather, I finally got the balls to realize my true dream, which was nutrition. I was just too scared to do the two years of pre-req's because my undergrad degree is in Literature. Seattle rules!!!! You should move here. UW is a competitive school to get into, so I feel you on that front. Even if you can't go to school here, you should seriously consider moving here. There's so much to do...and the weather is somewhat like the UK. So many great local bands, amazing restaurants and fish markets. I am excited about London, and definitely want to visit Scotland and Ireland, but I love Seattle. It's so much better than Florida and anywhere else I've lived, apart from the lack of sunshine.

Where do you live?

Library school!!! I applied and got into the one at University of South Florida, but chickened out at the last second! Or rather, I finally got the balls to realize my true dream, which was nutrition. I was just too scared to do the two years of pre-req's because my undergrad degree is in Literature. Seattle rules!!!! You should move here. UW is a competitive school to get into, so I feel you on that front. Even if you can't go to school here, you should seriously consider moving here. There's so much to do...and the weather is somewhat like the UK. So many great local bands, amazing restaurants and fish markets. I am excited about London, and definitely want to visit Scotland and Ireland, but I love Seattle. It's so much better than Florida and anywhere else I've lived, apart from the lack of sunshine.

Where do you live?

Ah! That's so cool! USF has a great program from what I've read (been researching MLIS programs since my first year of college) but I've always had this aversion to FL/the south because of snakes. I know it's stupid, and I'm definitely going to apply to programs in Alabama and Florida, but still. UW is definitely one of the more competitive programs but the nice thing about library school is that it's... library school. I've read that in terms of finding jobs, it really doesn't matter where you went as long as it has the ALA accreditation, so we'll see. Seattle just sounds awesome. I've spent a considerable amount of time in Portland and I love the Pacific Northwest weather.

So did you do a grad program in nutrition? I looked into doing that, too, as I loved the Nutrition class I took in college, but the math required for some of the programs scared me away, haha.

I was raised in rural northern California (I mean, like, nowhere near SF) and I go to school in S.CA near LA.

Where else have you lived?

Yeah Yoga would be a good idea!!! Now that I am looking at your routine I see you already take fish oils and glucosamine! Silly me!

Haha, NBD! I eat fish religiously and pre-Accutane I took glucosamine/fish oil sporadically, but now I'm really cracking down on my intake, so I probably won't be able reap the full benefits of either for a few weeks. :)

--------------

I'm all dried out/flaky, and again, I'm not sure if two doses of Accutane would do that but it's unlike any retinoid flaking I've experienced (though it's in my driest areas anyway- inner cheeks/around my mouth).

Where do you live?

Ah! That's so cool! USF has a great program from what I've read (been researching MLIS programs since my first year of college) but I've always had this aversion to FL/the south because of snakes. I know it's stupid, and I'm definitely going to apply to programs in Alabama and Florida, but still. UW is definitely one of the more competitive programs but the nice thing about library school is that it's... library school. I've read that in terms of finding jobs, it really doesn't matter where you went as long as it has the ALA accreditation, so we'll see. Seattle just sounds awesome. I've spent a considerable amount of time in Portland and I love the Pacific Northwest weather.

So did you do a grad program in nutrition? I looked into doing that, too, as I loved the Nutrition class I took in college, but the math required for some of the programs scared me away, haha.

I was raised in rural northern California (I mean, like, nowhere near SF) and I go to school in S.CA near LA.

Where else have you lived?

Yes, I am completing my M.S. in Nutrition at a Naturopathic Medicine school called Bastyr. I love it! I'm ready to leave, but part of me doesn't want to leave. It's such a supportive, healing community.

I was born in Colorado outside Denver and lived there till I was 5. Then we moved to Miami, Fl, then we lived in San Diego for a year, then North Carolina for a year, then moved back to Florida and lived in Naples/Tampa until I moved to Seattle. So, I would say I grew up in Florida. We moved a lot. :(

Guest *Spiro*

Haha, NBD! I eat fish religiously and pre-Accutane I took glucosamine/fish oil sporadically, but now I'm really cracking down on my intake, so I probably won't be able reap the full benefits of either for a few weeks. smile.png

--------------

I'm all dried out/flaky, and again, I'm not sure if two doses of Accutane would do that but it's unlike any retinoid flaking I've experienced (though it's in my driest areas anyway- inner cheeks/around my mouth).

I was really flakey around my mouth early on also. I still am if I don't moisturize there daily. You could be really sensitive to medications and react to them quickly. Some people get side effects right after the first dose. Usually bad side effects like bowel issues, or brain swelling! Thank god there is none of those side effects going on!

Haha, NBD! I eat fish religiously and pre-Accutane I took glucosamine/fish oil sporadically, but now I'm really cracking down on my intake, so I probably won't be able reap the full benefits of either for a few weeks. smile.png

--------------

I was really flakey around my mouth early on also. I still am if I don't moisturize there daily. You could be really sensitive to medications and react to them quickly. Some people get side effects right after the first dose. Usually bad side effects like bowel issues, or brain swelling! Thank god there is none of those side effects going on!

I am really sensitive to meds- I'm allergic to five or six different antibiotics, and react badly to low doses of psych meds/antihistamines/cold medicine. And yeah, I'm not complaining about a little flakiness- I'm just amazed (and impressed!) at how quickly it showed up. Dry skin doesn't bother me at all. My face being an oil slick, on the other hand, is far more irritating. :)

--------------

I am really sensitive to meds- I'm allergic to five or six different antibiotics, and react badly to low doses of psych meds/antihistamines/cold medicine. And yeah, I'm not complaining about a little flakiness- I'm just amazed (and impressed!) at how quickly it showed up. Dry skin doesn't bother me at all. My face being an oil slick, on the other hand, is far more irritating. smile.png

I started getting dry skin within the first week. By the second week, dramatic things started happening like skin peeling, redness, sensitivity, dryness. But i'm like you--allergic to some antibiotics, react badly to meds. Wonder if there's a connection somehow...

It's so much better than Florida and anywhere else I've lived, apart from the lack of sunshine.

What I though it would be awesome to live in Florida. So many Spring Break destinations near by, surely that must be good lol? I can't wait to travel over to America or Mexico for Spring Break.

I am really sensitive to meds- I'm allergic to five or six different antibiotics, and react badly to low doses of psych meds/antihistamines/cold medicine. And yeah, I'm not complaining about a little flakiness- I'm just amazed (and impressed!) at how quickly it showed up. Dry skin doesn't bother me at all. My face being an oil slick, on the other hand, is far more irritating. smile.png

I'm happy that you're liking the drying out process. Hopefully the sensitivity thing is not too much of a factor. Also good luck with picking, and getting into, a uni to study at. So jealous of you Americans' and your university/college lifestyle.

What I though it would be awesome to live in Florida. So many Spring Break destinations near by, surely that must be good lol? I can't wait to travel over to America or Mexico for Spring Break.

Florida is beautiful, but honestly the heat and humidity and old people and no jobs, no culture. I could go on forever. Swimming in the ocean and spending time with my family are my favorite parts. It's only awesome to a certain extent. Probably like living in Australia? Unless that's flippin' amazing? :)

Mood really took a nosedive after my third dose yesterday. Like, mega. So agitated, exhausted, unable to concentrate, blah blah blah. Called pdoc this morning, waiting for her to call back, with then probably have to call derm. YAY. eusa_wall.gif