Acne.org
gunlock123

Is It Bad To Exfoliate Too Much?

Posted

Hi so I'm new to the boards and I was wondering is it bad to over exfoliate while using vitamin E products to help restore tissue?

I have mild acne scars and I am using two products right now.

1. AHA Walgreens Face Cream(8% AHA)

2. Jason Age Renewal Vitamin E 25,000 I.U.

I would recommend these products to EVERYONE both combined create a GREAT way to reduce scars when used consistently. I use the walgreens face cream as an all-day cream as it is rather light, but I use the Vitamin E as a night cream because it is very creamy and oily. My question is though is it bad to exfoliate every day or every other day? I feel like the vitamin E and AHA work great in reducing my scars and reproducing new cell tissues but I feel like if I exfoliate every day it will just get rid of the new cells growing, can anyone confirm this? If so I will probably reduce the exfoliating to once a week. Also I am using the St. Ives Apricot Scrub.

Posted

I used this exact same regimen for years and it worked for a long time. Unfortunately, as I aged, it led to scarring. When I first started it, I had minor acne, and my derm actually recommended the Walgreens AHA cream to me. However, my scars were very superficial at that point, and I was younger.

Posted

I used this exact same regimen for years and it worked for a long time. Unfortunately, as I aged, it led to scarring. When I first started it, I had minor acne, and my derm actually recommended the Walgreens AHA cream to me. However, my scars were very superficial at that point, and I was younger.

the regimen led to scaring...? new scaring from acne or worsening of the old scars?

Posted

the regimen led to scaring...? new scaring from acne or worsening of the old scars?

Sorry, I should have explained. It led to scarring because my acne got worse and I kept applying the AHA cream to my face. At first, if I had an open sore, it would speed healing and leave me without a scar. I didn't know I should not apply it to open sores. As I aged, I would scar when I did this, and it took a long time for me to realize I was causing the scars by applying AHA to open sores. At some point, my acne was too severe to control using this method. Hope that clarifies things.

Also, you have to careful with the St. Ives Apricot Scrub. I actually believe it was a combination of the AHA & St. Ives Apricot Scrub that caused the scarring when my acne was more severe. However, I may have been too rough on my skin back then too. The Apricot Scrub is gritty, and can be too harsh on delicate skin. There are definitely better/finer scrubs out there.

Posted

Sorry, I should have explained. It led to scarring because my acne got worse and I kept applying the AHA cream to my face. At first, if I had an open sore, it would speed healing and leave me without a scar. I didn't know I should not apply it to open sores. As I aged, I would scar when I did this, and it took a long time for me to realize I was causing the scars by applying AHA to open sores. At some point, my acne was too severe to control using this method. Hope that clarifies things.

Also, you have to careful with the St. Ives Apricot Scrub. I actually believe it was a combination of the AHA & St. Ives Apricot Scrub that caused the scarring when my acne was more severe. However, I may have been too rough on my skin back then too. The Apricot Scrub is gritty, and can be too harsh on delicate skin. There are definitely better/finer scrubs out there.

That is the exact same scrub that caused some of the scarring on the right side of my face. I was told to literally scrub off my acne, big mistake.

Posted

That is the exact same scrub that caused some of the scarring on the right side of my face. I was told to literally scrub off my acne, big mistake.

I was told the same thing. Big mistake!

Posted

Similar thing happened to be, I never developed acne scarring and my face always healed without leaving any scar. My scarring only began after I started treating my face with Retin-A. I have read many similar stories on the .org to know its not only me.

Posted

Yeah, you shouldn't apply aha to inflamed acne. It strips away the skin making it more fragile and more prone to scarring. I put vaseline on anything that seems like it will scar and that works for me, but I realized it very late in the game.

Posted

yes u can scrub all the good oils out of ur skin, Ive done this on my nose, its now saggy and wrinkley, the skin looks thin, I have lots of blackheads and large pores...

Dont over scrub!