Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've been thinking about posting this for a long time now, even before I started on the regimen, but I've finally got the courage to do it.

I started the regimen almost 3 months ago and I'm almost 100% clear, with the occasional whitehead here and there (and my nose still has blackheads all the time), but it is still a HUGE improvement from where I was 3 months ago. I had all kinds of acne, with the occasional cystic - and I was struggling with it for almost 6-7 years now. Even though I'm very happy with the progress I made I still have a few problems I'm in desperate need for figuring out.

My first problem is my oily skin. No matter what I do, my skin becomes oily 1-2 hours after washing it and it is shiny and noticable. I wash my face only two times a day, and I've had this problem even when I washed it more or less, so I don't think overwashing is the problem. I have tried wiping my face but it becomes too much because I find I have to do it multiple times a day and it is embarassing. I honestly have no idea how to fix this and it is really bothering me. I was told that jojoba oil and moisturizer should help this but I find that those two things make me actually break out and only makes my skin look oilier (so yeah I don't actually use moisturizier on the regimen because for the weeks that I did, it make my skin look even worse and more oily). Any advice on this would be great, because my skin looks and feels terrible in this regard.

My second problem is getting rid of blackheads on my nose. The regimen does nothing for this, and I've never had any experience in removing blackheads.

And finally, once I fix these two problems (If I ever do... as it has been years :( ) what is my next step? Would dermabrasion be something I should look into?

hi,

i was on the regimen for 8 months and very oily just like you. but i definitely moisturized! please start moisturizing. how is your face not peeling off from not using it? i put loads of moisturizer on and still peeled. BP is drying the hell out of your skin, so you definitely want to hydrate it or you're really going to damage your skin in the long run. maybe you could get a moisturizer for combination skin? neutrogena has one that works well. it didn't moisturize my face enough, but if you aren't extremely dry, then maybe this would be the right amount of moisture for you.

for the blackheads, i used to use biore nose strips once a week. honestly though, i haven't had a blackhead on my nose since i quit using BP. =O

Oh oops. I forgot to mention something extremely important.

Before I started the regimen I went to the dermatologist for 4 years who kept putting me on harsh topicals and stuff constantly because nothing worked for me.

My complexion on my face is red and I know it isn't rosacea or any other skin disorder, I'm almost positive it is from all the things I've put on my face over the years.

How long will this take to go away? It is probably just as bad as the oily face in terms of making me self conscious :( ...

I haven't been on anything from the dermatologist for over 6 months but my face still has the red complexion and I cannot remember off the top of my head what I used last. And as for using a moisturizer, my skin reacts very well with BP. My skin does not get very dry or flaky from using it, and with it giving me more acne and making my face look more oily, I find that all it did was hurt me. I might try it again. I used cetaphil moisturizing lotion.

My face was red like that during the regimen, which was weird because I've been to 3 different dermatologists in the past and have always used harsh products on my face. I think maybe the quantity of BP was what did it. But my face never went back to its normal color til I stopped doing the regimen. Not saying you should. You're still in the early stages of it, so stick with it and maybe it'll subside.

Cetaphil is a problem for a lot of people, but some people love it. I'm allergic to it. Maybe try some different moisturizers to see which works best for your skin.

Moisturising can actually help oily skin. Often times your skin will overproduce oil because it is dry and needs the moisture. You might find that adding in a moisturiser helps to balance your skin a little more.