Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm a guy in my mid-30s. Never had acne as a teen. Basically started in my early 20s and seems to have gotten worse the older I get. It cost me relationships and its cost me friendships since an acne breakout would depress me to the point where I wouldn't want to leave the house. I'm tired of hiding from people, missing work, cancelling plans, etc. I haven't been to work in a week due to a major breakout. It finally just started getting better and i was looking forward to finally being able to go back on monday and then today I wake up with another HUGE one. This cannot be happening. I know how these big ones work and there will be no way it will be gone by Monday. This means i will once again have to come up with some type of excuse to not show up.

Nothing seems to work. For the most part, my skin looks great. However, its the nonstop huge one that pops up every week and takes weeks to fade that is taking its toll on me. I'm tired of trying to put makeup on them as a guy and some of these you cant hide despite any amount of makeup. I've tried changing my diet, etc, etc. I don't understand it anymore. Just when I think things are getting better....BAM. At my age this should not be happening. I dont see any other guys my age dealing with this. I have a great job and make great money and yet i have to deal with this embarrasment. I have to lie to people and my boss and co-workers since im ashamed to leave my house.

I'm done. I'm fed up. I'm exhausted. I can't sleep anymore since i'm so upset about this. I honestly dont see the point in living anymore. what kind of life is this? What kind of life is it where my skin dictates if im gonna have a good day or bad day? To live in fear every time you look in the mirror wondering when the next big one is going to hit? And when it does, to have to lock yourself inside for days and days until it goes away to the point you can at least cover it up? I keep saying this will stop at some point but its getting worse. The older i get, the longer they last. They dont heal as fast anymore. the red marks last longer. yada, yada, yada

I've spent the past couple days contemplating how to end it all. I know i dont have the courage to do it though. im just so tired of all of this. i know that without this horrible disease that i am actually a good looking guy that people like to be around. however, when this happens, i become a guy that just hides and lies to people. i hate it. its not me

thanks for listening. i guess im just venting. it sucks to be a guy my age and have to deal with this still. its not like i can just layer on tons of makeup or say its hormones. i dont know how much more i can take..

and im running out of excuses to keep giving work about not being there. at what point do they just call my bluff? or fire me? i cannot leave the house like this so i dont know what to do. and that stresses me out which puts me in this vicious cycle

reading that just gives me a sinking feeling in my stomach. i had my own share of acne issues in my life and what ever fraction of what you are going through that i hade to deal with was enough to send me crazy. i must say that giving up is not the answer, i know how hard that can be to accept when nothing seems works. what i found works for me is a combination of a good acne product and good anti acne practices.*Moderator edit - No advertising. Read the board rules. You can share your regimen on this board*

Never give up, there are always other solutions. That's weird that you had clear skin as a teen but are getting acne now. See a dermatologist because there are answers!

I don't want to recommend anything but it could possibly be that you developed an intolerance to some things in your diet or your hormones are out of whack, or something you use cosmetically (hair and skin products) doesn't agree with your skin... But I'm no expert, see your GP and tell them exactly how you feel, they will refer you.

good luck

Have you tried changing your diet? Have you gone to a derm? Did you happen to move when you started breaking out. Sometimes the environment or even the water can cause acne. I went on the candida diet and had our water tested (loaded with bacteria and ph was through the roof. we couldnt even cook with it). Since the candida diet and only washing my face with poland spring water i have not had ONE CYST. So many options out there you just have to find yours. I know how you feel cause i felt the same way but dont give up and start looking into different options. I was determined to find my cure, it took alot of effort on my part, but in the end it was worth it. Go to work tomorrow and dont let the acne dictate who you are.

Appreciate the response, but I have lived all over and had acne in each of those locations. I've changed my diet, and still had acne. I've been to derms, and still gotten acne. Hence the frustration. How did you test your water?

Have you tried TCA chemical peels? you can either have one done at your derm or you can order the product yourself online and just do it at home....I have and it works great! makeupartistschoice.com.....they have before and after pic's...give it a try...:)

It's time for you to seriously consider Accutane.

When you're at the point where life isn't worth living (like I was) fuck the side effects and do everything possible to reclaim your life.

Edited by tritonxiv

I feel your pain man. You're going to have to accept who you are and what you look like. Reality is what we make it to be. Change your field of consciousness and tell yourself you WILL have clear skin in the future. It may not be today, it may not be next week, it may not be next month. But down the road, you're going to look back and laugh at how much acne controlled your thoughts.

Edited by overfl00d

We just had a water testing company come and test it. Did you ever try taking probiotics, it cleans out your gut. I read alot that if your gut is messed up that it cam come out in your skin. I take it everyday. Did you get blood work done? Vitamin d, thyroid imbalances can cause acne (many other imbalances can cause acne). Did you try going to a nutritionist or holistic doctor they can request blood work for you. Is it hereditary? Some posts on this site say to much sex/masturbating causes them to break out and when they dont do it as much the acne goes away. Some people are allergic to flouride so they use toothpaste without flouride and they stopped breaking out. Did you try a gluten free diet? So many different options... Make a plan and start trying different options until you find your cure. Dont give up on yourself.

Edited by gia1

i tried getting some probiotics from the health store a couple days ago and apparently i cant take them cause i have autoimmune heptatitis -_-

Hi Frustrated 247

I too had that wierd kind of acne where for the most part my skin was clear but I would get 1-2 huge almost dime sized things on my chin or nose. They would be very red and infected...impossible to hide and people would stare at them. My derm calls it cystic acne and I call it hell...especially as an adult in a world where most people have clear skin!

Only 3 things have cleared me up. #1 is accutane and I firmly recommend it. You most likely won't be cured but while you're on it your skin will be clear (heavenly) and afterwards you will have cysts less often. #2 is full strength antibiotics, especially Bactrim. Bactrim totally cleared up my cysts while I was on it. Sadly you can't take it forever. #3 the routine listed below.

My current dermatologist is the head guy at the clinic here and he is on a mission to keep me clear and eventually keep me clear on just topicals. I'm 61 and have struggled with cystic acne since age 18. Charming. Anyway the complicated regime below (BP cleanser + Cleocin-T + Spiro + Oracea + Tretinoin Cream + monthly microdermabrasions) is working and has kept me clear for 4 months now. I could be wrong but I think it is the BP cleanser, Cleocin-T and microdermabrasions that are really doing the trick. Have been totally clear since adding those in. I have used the Spiro and Oracea before but always broke out regardless so I think it is the addition of those other meds which really are keeping me clear.

I hope this helps. Please do not give up! Take my recommendations in to your derm. See what they say. You just have really deep acne and most likely only using one product doesn't do the trick. You need treatment that helps the meds get down deep into the pores (microdermabrasion + topicals).

Don't be afraid to do accutane. It works well for cystic acne. No need to continue suffering!

I can feel your pain man. It's oozing out of the screen. Have you ever considered that IT could be the cause of your acne?

Stress affects the skin far more than diet does. Stress also wrecks havoc on your gut health.

I know it's not easy to feel good about yourself when you have acne. That said, lot of the pain you feel is not caused by acne, but what you believe about yourself. Acne just triggers some less than perfect beliefs you have about yourself (like you are not good enough, you are ugly or something like that). And the stress and anxiety can make a mess of your skin.

My recommendation would be to get a meditation or relaxation CD. 15 to 20 minutes a day can calm you down a lot. There's also a good book that helps you to asses your self-image and perhaps even get to the root of the problem. Here's the link to Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Self-Esteem-Cognitive-Techniques-Assessing-Maintaining/dp/1572241985