Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WiiHP2

White Rice, Wheat Bread, Or 5Min Oatmeal

Hi guys, I need a bit of help. I've been researching for a while now w/c foods I should and shouldn't eat when on an acne diet and (surprise, surprise) all my fave carb sources are off limits. I can't for the life of me give carbs up! So I was thinking maybe just a little a day would be okay, but I need some advice on which of the 3 grains in the title would be the safest consume. Any help/insights would really be appreciated. Thanks so much in advance. :)

I can say you shouldn't eat none of these products. You have to elimante white rice, wheat bread completely . You should replace them with brown rice or wholemeal bread, rye bread etc. If you must eat carbs choose more healthier.biggrin.png

Edited by Bartek15555

Of those 3, I'd choose oats. But whole or steel cut, soaked overnight before cooking. You can make several servings at once. That's actually why I like whole oat groats. I make enough for several days, then eat with chopped apple, nuts, seeds, spices etc. Usually cold. Other forms of oats would be sticky lumps eaten cold, although steel cut wouldn't be bad.

But you can also try others like buckwheat, which I mix with oats, partly because oats don't have much phytase to break down the phytic acid in the oats, but buckwheat does so I soak and cook them together.

Edited by alternativista

To reduce

Alternativista: Why do you recommened soaking it over night?

To reduce the antinutrients. As you should really do with all seeds.

So instead, brown rice, wholemeal bread, rye bread, whole or steel cut oats, and buckwheat. Got it. I'll have to see which of these I can find. Cutting out wheat bread completely is really depressing since it's my fave breakfast food, but sacrifices must be made lol. Thank you so much for the tips. :)

So instead, brown rice, wholemeal bread, rye bread, whole or steel cut oats, and buckwheat. Got it. I'll have to see which of these I can find. Cutting out wheat bread completely is really depressing since it's my fave breakfast food, but sacrifices must be made lol. Thank you so much for the tips. :)

I only recommended 2of those. And you'd better read the labels as rye bread might be made with wheat plus a little rye added, for example. And you should limit your consumption of grains in favor of more nutrient dense foods.

So instead, brown rice, wholemeal bread, rye bread, whole or steel cut oats, and buckwheat. Got it. I'll have to see which of these I can find. Cutting out wheat bread completely is really depressing since it's my fave breakfast food, but sacrifices must be made lol. Thank you so much for the tips. smile.png

what about ezekiel bread? Some people like that, it isnt as bad for you as regular bread(but expensive lol)

quinoa is best, complete protein!

no offence but I tried quinoa and hated it... the texture isnt very pleasnat in my book :-( but to each his own.

This is why I try to just eat scrambled eggs with spinach in them for breakfast ;) But, if I'm feel lazy or kind of down I'll make some whole-oats oatmeal with some honey on top. I try to steer clear of most bread products though. Oatmeal is my cheatiness, but like I said, I try to go with eggs or even a smoothie for breakfast :)

The saponins that coat quinoa are harmful to your digestive tract. For that reason, I think commercially rinsed quinoa is better on the theory that their machines do a better job than you can. Especiailly since the saponins can be used to make pesticides.

white rice has no vitamin no magnesium and no fiber.

white bread same story but the government requires it be fortified with some vitamins, but not fiber.

oatmeal is a great choice.

i believe oatmeal and wheat to be the best grains.

please dont believe everything you read on this website, there is some really bad advice here, be careful and think things through for yourself.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980

The saponins that coat quinoa are harmful to your digestive tract. For that reason, I think commercially rinsed quinoa is better on the theory that their machines do a better job than you can. Especiailly since the saponins can be used to make pesticides.

http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/toxicagents/saponin.html

Thanks for saving me some trouble...I just ate some yesterday. I will probably stay clear of it, the most common symptoms are inflammation in the sinuses, that's the thing I don't want.

This is why i find this board so confusing. I have one person telling me quinoa is great and then AV tells us all that it's bad. Could anyone give me a gluten free-wheat free idea for a cereal in the morning that won't harm my stomach, intestines or produce an inflammatory reaction. I wan't something safe that i can mix with almond milk so that i can boost my calorie intake.

This is why i find this board so confusing. I have one person telling me quinoa is great and then AV tells us all that it's bad. Could anyone give me a gluten free-wheat free idea for a cereal in the morning that won't harm my stomach, intestines or produce an inflammatory reaction. I wan't something safe that i can mix with almond milk so that i can boost my calorie intake.

Scrambled eggs with spinach in them, or a green smoothie, or it's pretty easy to buy gluten free oatmeal as well! :)

The sooner you realize there's no "perfect food" out there, the sooner you can get on track with your health and start making better but still satisfying choices.

Most grains are very inflammatory and hard to digest if your digestive system isn't in good condition, so if you're reacting to foods right now you're probably going to react to most cereal grains. Spelt is generally a better choice than wheat and buckwheat and steel-cut oats are an even better choice still. Slow-roast and soak your grains.

The sooner you realize there's no "perfect food" out there, the sooner you can get on track with your health and start making better but still satisfying choices.

Most grains are very inflammatory and hard to digest if your digestive system isn't in good condition, so if you're reacting to foods right now you're probably going to react to most cereal grains. Spelt is generally a better choice than wheat and buckwheat and steel-cut oats are an even better choice still. Slow-roast and soak your grains.

just make sure you dont have a gluten issue, spelt has gluten in it naturally.

I didnt tell you it was bad. I told you that there were some negatives to it. Which is true of most foods, especially seeds and products from animals fed on seeds, and why you need to prepare them properly.

I didnt tell you it was bad. I told you that there were some negatives to it. Which is true of most foods, especially seeds and products from animals fed on seeds, and why you need to prepare them properly.

yeah, sorry. What i meant was there doesn't seem to be a 'safe' option for absolutely everyone and this board is particularly bad for people arguing different opinions when it comes to health.

I'm still frustrated that it's been around 16-17 months and i still haven't found a diet that works for me PERFECTLY, but i've been wanting to reintroduce the better quality grains back into my diet (Quinoa and Oats especially) but have been scared at the potential damage they might do to my gut. Have just started to eat 100% natural oats again with almond milk and a few blueberries thrown in for taste.