Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bestkeptsecrets

Help! Insight On Prescription Acne Creams?

hi everyone,

i went to a dermatologist today and she gave me aczone (new product -- has anyone used this?) to put on affected areas during the day time underneath my makeup, and clindoxyl to put on at night. just wondering if anyone has any reviews on how these work alone or in conjunction.

i have clear skin on the majority of my face but i get deep, under-the-skin, cystic acne on my chin. 1 or 2 at a time. (2 right now, right before promneutral.gif ). really painful and ugly. she told me that these prescriptions would treat this type of acne but i looked online and on the aczone website it clearly states it does not treat inflammatory acne, just blackheads and whiteheads. very frustrated... everyone is telling me different things about how to treat my acne and this derm barely gave me the light of day, so unhelpful and rude. please help me!

Could be worth having a look at the logs in the topical retinoids section. Bound to find people there who are tracking their experience with Aczone and similar products.

I know sash12 was using it and here log's close to the top of the page actually so that could be useful. Sure there will be others in there who have or are currently using it. http://www.acne.org/...zorac-etc-logs/ smile.png

Look at Aczone's website--it says the product is used to treat inflammatory as well as non-inflammatory acne (a combination of both is acne vulgaris. the wording could definitely be clearer.) If you look at the before and after pictures, most of the girls have inflammatory acne, and it has been successful for them.

The website says to apply (a small pea-size amount literally the tip of a finger. half that little block) in a thin layer after washing your face with a gentle cleanser. You should dot it on various parts of your face and blend it in. Don't use other products while using dapsone except the clindoxyl at night and the moisturizer/cleanser your derm recommended. If your derm didn't give you specific directions, a specific regimen to follow day and night, (including how long to wait after washing your face. how much to apply. when to apply moisturizer. which cleanser and moisturizer to use in addition to the meds) call her and ask her! While you're at it, also ask her what to expect. Should you expect dryness, flaking, redness? How can you combat it? Is it okay to take a "day off" from medication when it's uber irritating?

Believe me, listen to your derm over what everyone is telling you. I did and my acne is clear 2.5 months later. I used Tazorac, but everyone needs their own medication. If you start out skeptically/lose heart before you start and if you don't trust in your derm, you're not going to get clear. 3 months seems like a lot now, but it will pass in no time at all. That is the best, most honest advice I can give you. You should follow your derm's directions. She knows what she's talking about, because she's seen a lot of acne. Be a stickler for the routine she provides you. Don't use too much medication, try not to skip treating, and try to minimize irritation, because it can contribute to acne.

Finally, if you really don't believe me, look up dapsone and inflammatory. It's actually an anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, anti-biotic agent.

Keep us updated, and good luck! smile.png

Edited by skinnie

hi everyone,

i went to a dermatologist today and she gave me aczone (new product -- has anyone used this?) to put on affected areas during the day time underneath my makeup, and clindoxyl to put on at night. just wondering if anyone has any reviews on how these work alone or in conjunction.

i have clear skin on the majority of my face but i get deep, under-the-skin, cystic acne on my chin. 1 or 2 at a time. (2 right now, right before promneutral.gif ). really painful and ugly. she told me that these prescriptions would treat this type of acne but i looked online and on the aczone website it clearly states it does not treat inflammatory acne, just blackheads and whiteheads. very frustrated... everyone is telling me different things about how to treat my acne and this derm barely gave me the light of day, so unhelpful and rude. please help me!

I have been using Aczone for months now and i have not had success with it in terms of inflammation, but then again, my acne is VERY stubborn, persistent and has yet to respond to treatment. Others have had success though so give it a try. As the above poster stated, you HAVE to give it time. If your acne is just 1 or 2 pimples, you may not want to go the prescription route as that can make things worse. But if you do, realize that for many of us, it is a rollercoaster so mentally prepare yourself.