Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alexis Little

Picking The Best Cosmetic Surgeon

It will be a while until I can get an treatment for my scarring done (almost done with my course of Accutane but gotta wait a good while before scar treatments) but considering the cost I am preparing ahead of time.

Question: Is it worth the money to get the best person possible? And I don't mean just in whatever state you're in. I mean I am willing to travel to California if I have to, lol. All the best surgeons seem to be in California. The money is not really the problem. I will happily save up for the next year to pay for it. I just don't want to spend 2-10 times what I would pay someone in Atlanta (I'm from Georgia) if it doesn't actually make that huge of a difference.

Any advice?

Edited by Alexis Little

Yes, it makes a big difference. For many procedures, it comes down to the practitioner involved, not the just the technology used.

I mean, sure, if you're doing something like a microdermabrasion or an acid peel, a esthetician would be fine. But for laser procedures, or subcisions, or TCA cross, or in-office dermarolling/stamping, you want a real professional that is fully confident with his chosen modality.

Whether in Atlanta or LA, I am sure they are all real professionals that are confident with their chosen modality.

Problem is whether surgeons in LA are popular and voted highly because of the location and clientele or because they are just genuinely amazing.

Whether in Atlanta or LA, I am sure they are all real professionals that are confident with their chosen modality.

Problem is whether surgeons in LA are popular and voted highly because of the location and clientele or because they are just genuinely amazing.

It's a bit of both, really.

It's like professional cooking and New York. Sure, all the best chefs definitely work out of New York, but there are also a ton of frauds in New York as well, trying to ride on the coattails of New York's culinary scene, and there are great chefs in tons of other cities as well, Thomas Keller and Rick Bayless being two very notable examples.

It's not very different for cosmetic surgical practices, either.

I agree DRaGZ.

Go see as many derms and PS as possible, this is for your own best interest. you will ultimately find certain characteristics of why you prefer one doctor over another, and hopefully this relates to their respective experience and compassion for your problems.

I find this to be all too common these days, a lack of true compassion and understanding of patient's issues with many of these so-called professionals. you can just sense and smell the money in their eyes and these are the ones you want to avoid.

take the time, find someone who cares and looks at their work as something which is a benefit to their patients lives, and steer well clear of those doctors who just see you as a patient who is helping to pay off the new porsche in the garage.

you will know what I mean after you have seen a couple or more.

good luck!