Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
katiekins

When I Get Depressed About My Skin, I Tell Myself _______!

Im in need of a little self love help, guys!!! Sometimes when I get feeling really upset and down about my skin, I find it hard to keep my spirit and optimism up. What ways do you guys cheer yourselves up?? Mottos, self help books, ice cream.... anything haha!!!! Im on accutane right now, but my skin isnt showing any improvement and Ive been getting sad lately. This could also be the accutane "talking" but any help is appreciated!!!! <3

I completely understand how you feel but try not to worry you will see improvement soon, my face showed minimal improvement until a week after my accutane course was over. Now I'm clear except for some bad pih, It still gets me down sometimes so I like to listen to good music when I'm down. Like Bob marley said "one thing about music is, when it hits you, you feel no pain"

I found it weird that my favorite song of all time is all about taking control of your own life and to stop letting your fears controll it. I never really understood the meaning to the song until my acne started coming and then one day it just made SO much since to me. Such a beautiful and inspirational song. I kinda try to live my life by this song now.

The song I'm referring to is Drive- by Incubus. Please take a few minutes to listen even if it's not your style.

And I truely wish you te best on your quest to take controll of this disease!

I listen to songs that have lyrics that give me hope that one day it'll all get better. Even though you may not like the actual sound of the song, listen to the chorus of: Start of Something Good, by: Daughtry. I always play the lyrics to that chorus in my mind whenever i lose hope when starting a new product especially, and i find that it really helps and keeps me calm.

Yeah, get stuck into a big bowl of ice cream! :P

Best thing in terms of practical stuff is to focus on hobbies and enjoy those.

This one isn't always easy but it's better to stick to plans and do things with people you enjoy spending time with. Sometimes it feels safer to avoid people if you're having a "bad skin day", but it's not like it actually helps and certainly doesn't lift your mood. Hypocritical of me to mention that in a way, given that it's something I've struggled with forever, but then I guess I'm talking from experience and know for a fact that it's better not to avoid people and social occasions, etc..

I also like to listen to my favourite bands, watch movies I can escape in. Basically just making sure I'm not dwelling on any negative feelings or insecurities. :)

I completely understand how you feel but try not to worry you will see improvement soon, my face showed minimal improvement until a week after my accutane course was over. Now I'm clear except for some bad pih, It still gets me down sometimes so I like to listen to good music when I'm down. Like Bob marley said "one thing about music is, when it hits you, you feel no pain"

I found it weird that my favorite song of all time is all about taking control of your own life and to stop letting your fears controll it. I never really understood the meaning to the song until my acne started coming and then one day it just made SO much since to me. Such a beautiful and inspirational song. I kinda try to live my life by this song now.

The song I'm referring to is Drive- by Incubus. Please take a few minutes to listen even if it's not your style.

And I truely wish you te best on your quest to take controll of this disease!

ahh thank you! I love the lyrics, And I cant help but ask myself how much Ill let the fear take the wheel and steer. I appreciate the new song suggestion, Im sure Ill be listening to it next time I get depressed!!! (: And congrats on getting clear after accutane! even if it took the whole course. still!!

Yeah, get stuck into a big bowl of ice cream! tongue.png

Best thing in terms of practical stuff is to focus on hobbies and enjoy those.

This one isn't always easy but it's better to stick to plans and do things with people you enjoy spending time with. Sometimes it feels safer to avoid people if you're having a "bad skin day", but it's not like it actually helps and certainly doesn't lift your mood. Hypocritical of me to mention that in a way, given that it's something I've struggled with forever, but then I guess I'm talking from experience and know for a fact that it's better not to avoid people and social occasions, etc..

I also like to listen to my favourite bands, watch movies I can escape in. Basically just making sure I'm not dwelling on any negative feelings or insecurities. smile.png

Thank you, Paul!!! Yeah, I agree that going for a run and sticking to my hobbies gets my mind in a better space... Even just getting out of the house helps sometimes! Fresh air! But no you don't sound hypocritical, its something I struggle with too, but your right that it doesn't make you feel any better sitting at home.

What bands do you listen to? I'm always looking for new music!! Its interesting to me that all the replies Ive gotten have been saying that music helps them.. Believe it or not Ive never turned to music when Im sad, so maybe theres something to it!!

And ice cream is one of the best coping mechanisms for me.... literally((((;

Im in need of a little self love help, guys!!! Sometimes when I get feeling really upset and down about my skin, I find it hard to keep my spirit and optimism up. What ways do you guys cheer yourselves up?? Mottos, self help books, ice cream.... anything haha!!!! Im on accutane right now, but my skin isnt showing any improvement and Ive been getting sad lately. This could also be the accutane "talking" but any help is appreciated!!!! <3

Aw, I would give you a hug and try to make you happy. smile.png Just stop looking in the mirror and let the time heal the skin for you. Try to keep yourself busy. I've been gaming a lot lately. sick.gif I think it helps to ignore my skin. Thinking of making a raw vegan homemade icecream biggrin.png I saw one on youtube and looks so yummY. You can still enjoy ice cream without worrying about skin.. raw vegan ice cream! I remember making one and tasted so-oh good. I also tried ice cream made of coconut milk from mountain turtle or something.. forgot. But it is vegan. :)

Edited by EddieE

Aw, I would give you a hug and try to make you happy. smile.png Just stop looking in the mirror and let the time heal the skin for you. Try to keep yourself busy. I've been gaming a lot lately. sick.gif I think it helps to ignore my skin. Thinking of making a raw vegan homemade icecream biggrin.png I saw one on youtube and looks so yummY. You can still enjoy ice cream without worrying about skin.. raw vegan ice cream! I remember making one and tasted so-oh good. I also tried ice cream made of coconut milk from mountain turtle or something.. forgot. But it is vegan. smile.png

Eddie, thanks!!! Awww, a hug would be super! (: Ya, time will definitely help Im hoping, especially on accutane lol. And going to work helps because I cant focus on it as much!

And raw vegan ice cream... Im gonna look it up after this, that sounds crazy but I bet it you make it right its pretty good!! Thats cool that your vegan! I could never do that, but hey, it sounds like your loving it so more power to you!! (((;

What bands do you listen to? I'm always looking for new music!! Its interesting to me that all the replies Ive gotten have been saying that music helps them.. Believe it or not Ive never turned to music when Im sad, so maybe theres something to it!!

Well, it depends on whatever stands out to me and if something gets my attention and I don't usually limit that to specific genres. I might listen to Metallica on day and Katy Petty the next. Ilisten to a lot of rock and metal like Iron Maiden, Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath, Nirvana, AC/DC, Oasis, Motorhead...

Then there's other stuff like Morrissey, The Smiths, Martha Wainwright, Lissie, The Breeders... I quite like female singers actually. Guess I had my fill of rockers singing about all the rock n roll cliches so I went looking for another perspective.

I do find that if I look into what songs are about and what the people behind them are about, if there's something I can relate to then I feel a stronger connection to their music. A good example of that is an English singer by the name of Emily Maguire. She's had some bad experiences in her life and has struggled with severe depression. Although I've suffered to a lesser degree, I know what some of here songs are about and I know what she's saying about her experiences. Instance like that really help me get into the music.

Like I said before, it's all about escaping. Even though it's a little different for me now in the respect that I'm generally clear of acne these days so that's not something I'm "escaping" from in the here and now, I still have my moments and still have massive insecurities about all sorts of things which hold me back. That's where music comes in because if I'm listening to something that empowers me, it picks me up and lifts my mood and generally gets me thinking in a more positive way.

:)

Well, it depends on whatever stands out to me and if something gets my attention and I don't usually limit that to specific genres. I might listen to Metallica on day and Katy Petty the next. Ilisten to a lot of rock and metal like Iron Maiden, Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath, Nirvana, AC/DC, Oasis, Motorhead...

Then there's other stuff like Morrissey, The Smiths, Martha Wainwright, Lissie, The Breeders... I quite like female singers actually. Guess I had my fill of rockers singing about all the rock n roll cliches so I went looking for another perspective.

I do find that if I look into what songs are about and what the people behind them are about, if there's something I can relate to then I feel a stronger connection to their music. A good example of that is an English singer by the name of Emily Maguire. She's had some bad experiences in her life and has struggled with severe depression. Although I've suffered to a lesser degree, I know what some of here songs are about and I know what she's saying about her experiences. Instance like that really help me get into the music.

Like I said before, it's all about escaping. Even though it's a little different for me now in the respect that I'm generally clear of acne these days so that's not something I'm "escaping" from in the here and now, I still have my moments and still have massive insecurities about all sorts of things which hold me back. That's where music comes in because if I'm listening to something that empowers me, it picks me up and lifts my mood and generally gets me thinking in a more positive way.

smile.png

Thats great, I do the same thing! I listen to whatever Im in the mood for, but the genre can be dramatically different from day to day. And come on now... who doesnt like Alice Cooper? haha (:

smile.png

Thats great, I do the same thing! I listen to whatever Im in the mood for, but the genre can be dramatically different from day to day. And come on now... who doesnt like Alice Cooper? haha (: and ahhhhh , Im so happy that your clear!! You out of all people, really deserve it.

wth, I suck at this quoting thing haha, sorry Paul lol.

Aw, I would give you a hug and try to make you happy. smile.png Just stop looking in the mirror and let the time heal the skin for you. Try to keep yourself busy. I've been gaming a lot lately. sick.gif I think it helps to ignore my skin. Thinking of making a raw vegan homemade icecream biggrin.png I saw one on youtube and looks so yummY. You can still enjoy ice cream without worrying about skin.. raw vegan ice cream! I remember making one and tasted so-oh good. I also tried ice cream made of coconut milk from mountain turtle or something.. forgot. But it is vegan. smile.png

Eddie, thanks!!! Awww, a hug would be super! (: Ya, time will definitely help Im hoping, especially on accutane lol. And going to work helps because I cant focus on it as much!

And raw vegan ice cream... Im gonna look it up after this, that sounds crazy but I bet it you make it right its pretty good!! Thats cool that your vegan! I could never do that, but hey, it sounds like your loving it so more power to you!! (((;

Np hun! I also need a hug.. ha ha. I bought Diablo 3 and it is addictive. It keeps me busy. I want to make the ice cream soon. I never made the one I saw. I hope it comes out good. I like to prepare food, etc.

Hugs for katiekins and EddieE!

Spoil yourself, and do all the things others have already suggested. Add watching funny movies/cartoons to the list! How long have you been on Accutane? It'll take some time to kick in, hang in there, alright?!

Hugs for katiekins and EddieE!

Spoil yourself, and do all the things others have already suggested. Add watching funny movies/cartoons to the list! How long have you been on Accutane? It'll take some time to kick in, hang in there, alright?!

Thank you haha!!! Any funny movie suggestions? I know your a male, but dont worry, I like guy movies lol.

And Ive only been on for 5 days, so I didnt expect anything yet. Its just anxious wondering when its gonna kick in or if it will!

And btw, I love your signature quote. I happen to be a gigantic Beatles fan.

You're into The Beatles??? OMG, I love you now! ;) Funny movie suggestions...hmmm...ok...you got me there...I don't know. Cartoons, however... If you're into absurd/blunt humor: something like South Park, or series like Mr. Bean, Cheers, Frasier. You can't laugh enough, right?

Good luck on your Accutane course! Here's a song to cheer you up, whenever you need it:

You're into The Beatles??? OMG, I love you now! wink.png Funny movie suggestions...hmmm...ok...you got me there...I don't know. Cartoons, however... If you're into absurd/blunt humor: something like South Park, or series like Mr. Bean, Cheers, Frasier. You can't laugh enough, right?

Good luck on your Accutane course! Here's a song to cheer you up, whenever you need it:

love you too, duh(:

and thanks, you picked a great song!!!! I like your taste in music. (:

love you too, duh(:

Ah, I see... You didn't like my series suggestions. That's OK, I can live with it :P

Hurray for The Beatles! I stood just arms length from Paul McCartney in Liverpool a couple of years ago. Best day ever and I certainly didn't care about my skin that day! Comes back to the power of music and indeed the ability of its performers to take us somewhere else for a while.

I suck where movies are concerned. Unless you're into chick flicks. I'll happily admit that have a sensitive side. That, and horror movies scare me way too much! I can't really do action movies, I just spend the whole time thinking, 'There's no way that could happen!'

AKL's totally right though - the best medicine when we're feeling down or depressed, no matter what it relates to, is laughter. When I think about the times I've struggled over the years and the times when I've been really down, the usual cause has been my issues with acne. It seems to have been the one constant cause of my upset. By the same token, there's been a constant presence of comedy and music to get me through. smile.png

love you too, duh(:

Ah, I see... You didn't like my series suggestions. That's OK, I can live with it tongue.png

hahaha NO crazy, I did like your series suggestion- esp. South Park(: I was just attempting to not burn the meat that Im cooking on my outside grill while I multitask here haha!

And have you ever tried accutane?

Hurray for The Beatles! I stood just arms length from Paul McCartney in Liverpool a couple of years ago. Best day ever and I certainly didn't care about my skin that day! Comes back to the power of music and indeed the ability of its performers to take us somewhere else for a while.

I suck where movies are concerned. Unless you're into chick flicks. I'll happily admit that have a sensitive side. That, and horror movies scare me way too much! I can't really do action movies, I just spend the whole time thinking, 'There's no way that could happen!'

AKL's totally right though - the best medicine when we're feeling down or depressed, no matter what it relates to, is laughter. When I think about the times I've struggled over the years and the times when I've been really down, the usual cause has been my issues with acne. It seems to have been the one constant cause of my upset. By the same token, there's been a constant presence of comedy and music to get me through. smile.png

You stood that close to Paul??? HOW? omg, I would have died....

and lol i do love chick flicks, and your right... laughter is important, but I think sometimes I forget to laugh and smile and find things funny. So, I have been consciously making an effort lately to constantly remind myself to look at what I have and enjoy what I have!! Thanks for the reminder, your so awesome.(:

hifive.gif I saw McCartney about 2 months ago. He seriously rocks, even at his age!

lol.gif I must admit, you Brits have humor/humour tongue.png

hahaha NO crazy, I did like your series suggestion- esp. South Park(: I was just attempting to not burn the meat that Im cooking on my outside grill while I multitask here haha!

Crazy? *bans katiekins*

You women and your multitasking! Why don't you ever show that talent when driving a car, for example? *scurries away*

No, I've never tried Accutane, I guess since I don't have acne, it's not worth the trouble tongue.png

hifive.gif I saw McCartney about 2 months ago. He seriously rocks, even at his age!

lol.gif I must admit, you Brits have humor/humour tongue.png

Crazy? *bans katiekins*

You women and your multitasking! Why don't you ever show that talent when driving a car, for example? *scurries away*

No, I've never tried Accutane, I guess since I don't have acne, it's not worth the trouble tongue.png

ahahaha!! I drive a car just fine, thanks!! lol, actually that might be a bit of an exaggeration... I tend to forget that there are cops that wait for you to speed through small towns-_____- haha(;

and oh what? why are you on this site lol? I wouldnt take it then if I were you either, lucky duck. lol

ahahaha!! I drive a car just fine, thanks!!

eusa_liar.gif Lies! tongue.png

and oh what? why are you on this site lol? I wouldnt take it then if I were you either, lucky duck. lol

I'm only here to cheer you up! eusa_liar.gif Oops...wrong emoticon... Anyway, I did have acne, just not anymore. Currently trying to help my nephew to get his under control smile.png

Oh well thats really cool that you are trying to help your nephew. Tell him to read this thread and he might find some coping strategies! I definitely did(: and ya I will definitely come back to this site if I ever get totally clear, just to help other people through this whole ordeal.

Thanks! He's doing pretty well, no cysts for about 1 1/2 months now, just the occasional zit most people get every now and then. I'm sure you'll be freed of it soon enough, too! It'll take some time, and it may get worse in the beginning, just don't give up! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! smile.png

Thanks! He's doing pretty well, no cysts for about 1 1/2 months now, just the occasional zit most people get every now and then. I'm sure you'll be freed of it soon enough, too! It'll take some time, and it may get worse in the beginning, just don't give up! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! smile.png

hey, i "reached my quota of positve votes for the day" lol but thanks and Ill be doing the same for your nephew(: