Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Okay, I used to have a problem with skin-picking, but since being on Accutane my skin has cleared up an awful lot and I'm managing that much better. However, the problem has transferred to my lips.

I've always picked/bit at/chewed on/played with my lips, even since being a child, but with the dryness caused by Accutane the severity of the problem has increased considerably. My lips aren't dreadfully dry on the medication, and if I could just LEAVE THEM ALONE I know the situation would be much better, but when they get the slightest bit chapped I can't resist picking at them. I've made them bleed a few times, and if I pick them badly they are noticeably red, very sore and look a bit misshapen :/ Does anyone else suffer a similar problem? Are there any techniques people have used to kick the habit? Thanks in advance! x

Yeah, I've just recently kicked that habit myself, coincidentally enough. I read a post similar to yours yesterday, about a guy who went on accutane and suffered the same problem, though his skin cleared up, his lips were left in a constant cycle of peeling at an unusual rate. You would benefit greatly from leaving them alone, but you have to be willing to A) allow them to peel on their own and this includes on days when you venture outside. B) Stop using products that make your life more difficult long-term (if you do). Every time I felt my hand drifting towards my lips, I'd /facepalm...yes I know that sounds stupid but it's like my wake-up call for breaking the trance-like state I go into lol. If you manage to resist picking for long enough, you'll create a new habit and it'll become much easier to resist picking (or stop picking all together), and from what I've gathered, it takes the average human, 21 days to form/break a habit, so put some will power into it! :D Hope this helped you somewhat.

Ah, thank you so much, this is certainly very helpful :) I've thought about using the elastic band technique - putting one around my wrist and snapping it whenever my hands start to wander - but I'll try the facepalming too! It's probably exacerbated by the fact that it's exam season, and stress always makes me mess about with my lips more. Congratulations for kicking the habit :)

I pick and bite my lips occasionally. I notice that I don't do it when they are fully healthy. Vaseline is my savior. I've tried the elastic band technique for a little while. For me, I would always forget about doing it, so it never could work. Good look!

I have this problem a little bit, although nothing compared to the skin picking problem. I've found that always having lip balm on hand makes a difference.