Notifications
Clear all

Why Antibiotics Often Fail To Control Acne

MemberMember
(@ferper)

Posted : 05/27/2012 2:33 pm

Many doctors prescribe antibiotics for acne, but these products destroy the good bacteria along with the bad.

The elimination of both, good and bad bacteria, can cause the bad bacteria to flourish once they have built up resistance to the antibiotic.

As the bacteria build up a resistance to the antibiotic, different antibiotics are needed to control the problem.

Acne occurs when the skin is out of balance with more bad bacteria than good bacteria.

ANTIBIOTICS WILL NEVER WORK LONG TERM

WHY?

Antibiotics causes the P.acnes bacteria to build up resistance to the antibiotics.

Are there an alternative to antibiotics?

Probiotic skin products don't killt he P.acnes bacteria, the beneficial healthy bacteria eat the excess skin and toxins that P-acne need on order to thrive. They starve the P.acnes then get rid of them too! No more reazon for acne.

Are there topical probiotic in the market?

Yes, there is a probitic available in the web.

MemberMember
(@jim-bean)

Posted : 05/27/2012 3:40 pm

I totally agree with you. Antibiotics should NEVER be used to treat acne: only for life threatening infections.

Using antibiotics makes the problem even worse, making a super strain of bacteria that are much harder to deal with! I haven't seen one person who's used antibiotics and stayed clear on these forums.

Thanks for posting this. :)

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 08/31/2012 2:55 pm

So far I like the Ultimate Flora Critical Care probiotic.

MemberMember
(@greenlu)

Posted : 08/31/2012 6:55 pm

Thank you for shedding some light on this topic. Antibotics in my experience is only a short term solution that comes with many long term consequences. They were never designed for prolonged use like derms are prescribing.

MemberMember
(@need-solutions)

Posted : 08/31/2012 7:28 pm

From what ive been reading this seems to be the case.

Ive been to the doctors and 2 different dermatologists and they have both suggested/purscribed me doxycycline (an antibiotic)

I really dont think this is the solution at all for the reasons you have stated here, so I wont be taking them.

Yet doctors and my mom n dad seem to think by not taking these "I think I know better than the experts" and "ive read some stuff on the internet and not to believe stuff you read on the internet" and its been made out that im just rejecting all the advice everyones giving me just for the sake of it and "3 different doctors have said to take them so that must be the right thing to do"

as well as all the doctors insisting acne has nothing to do with diet "so dont worry about changing your diet"

It makes me so angry. Sometimes people just get things so so wrong.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/01/2012 12:36 am

From what ive been reading this seems to be the case.

Ive been to the doctors and 2 different dermatologists and they have both suggested/purscribed me doxycycline (an antibiotic)

I really dont think this is the solution at all for the reasons you have stated here, so I wont be taking them.

Yet doctors and my mom n dad seem to think by not taking these "I think I know better than the experts" and "ive read some stuff on the internet and not to believe stuff you read on the internet" and its been made out that im just rejecting all the advice everyones giving me just for the sake of it and "3 different doctors have said to take them so that must be the right thing to do"

as well as all the doctors insisting acne has nothing to do with diet "so dont worry about changing your diet"

It makes me so angry. Sometimes people just get things so so wrong.

Aaaaamen. I was practically condemned to hell by one derm for refusing Accutane :P

MemberMember
(@bobert09)

Posted : 09/12/2012 1:36 am

I've been taking antibiotics for a while now. A couple years ago I stopped taking them and my face broke out more horribly than it ever had before. I'm back on antibiotics and it keeps the acne down to a much lower level however I still do have small breakouts from time to time. How would you recommend I get off of antibiotics? I don't want to live the nightmare I did when I stopped taking them.

MemberMember
(@christophernguyen2012)

Posted : 09/17/2012 3:22 pm

Deleted

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/17/2012 11:41 pm

@Bobert09

To get off antibiotic take it at small amount gradually. Eat food with prebiotic to help with your probiotic. Don't take probiotic pills, because those usually don't work. The bacteria will surely die from the stomach acid before it can reach the intestine. That's why prebiotic is more effective. It just depends on the capsule and brand, but still I would leave those out. Food with prebiotic is mostly veggies. Broccoli, Spinach etc.... *Moderator edit - URL removed. Read the board rules!*

Doctors goal is to fix the symptom not the cause. The cause is your responsibility to take care of by taking care of your body.

Sleep is very important in reducing the acne, because during sleep your skin metabolic is higher thus your body repairs itself of scars during sleep.

Quality probiotics are made in capsules with a coating that survives stomach acid to make it to the small intestine.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 10/07/2012 1:52 am

I totally agree with you. Antibiotics should NEVER be used to treat acne: only for life threatening infections.

Using antibiotics makes the problem even worse, making a super strain of bacteria that are much harder to deal with! I haven't seen one person who's used antibiotics and stayed clear on these forums.

Thanks for posting this. smile.png

Reading that makes me so depressed, you have no idea. I so regret taking antibiotics..

MemberMember
(@tricky)

Posted : 10/07/2012 4:43 am

So far I like the Ultimate Flora Critical Care probiotic.

I think FerPer is suggesting using a topical probiotic moisturiser.

MemberMember
(@numbaunstunna)

Posted : 10/09/2012 9:07 pm

The problem with antibiotics is that bacteria becomes resistant to them and therefore they are not effective anymore. A new cycle of antibiotics is then prescribed to kill bacteria. It is a losing battle since there are only a limited amount of antibiotics and sooner or later you run out of options.

MemberMember
(@gforce89)

Posted : 10/18/2012 1:29 pm

I think antibiotics are important when you go on a new topical. The intitial breakouts can be really bad and the antibiotics help minimize it.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 04/30/2013 2:04 am

I wish I would have read this before taking my antibiotics...

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 05/07/2013 11:56 pm

Which anti-biotics did you take? Did it make your acne worst when you stopped taking it?

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 05/08/2013 7:42 pm

Which anti-biotics did you take? Did it make your acne worst when you stopped taking it?

doxycycline for 4 months.

Made my acne worse (spread to body)

MemberMember
(@40isthenew30)

Posted : 05/08/2013 7:55 pm

Clindamycin topical worked for awhile, then stopped working for me completely. Then I tried Solodyn and lost huge clumps of hair on it. Then I tried Doxycycline and it didn't work at all. I believe that my body has built up a serious resistance to antibiotics. A recent sinus infection resulted in me being ramped up from the standard amoxycillin (doesn't work for me anymore) to a more serious antibiotic that I had to take for 4 weeks. It's so scary.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 05/12/2013 9:49 am

Some doctors give anti biotics with accutane to control the initial break out. For severe acne doctors give anti biotics to prevent scarring. Also accutane is quite expensive if you don't have any insurance. Unless there is any medication that will boost your immune system and change your skin type than there are no other option unfortunately.

MemberMember
(@galway-girl)

Posted : 05/13/2013 1:23 pm

I was on antibiotics for 6 months and I must say my skin was crystal clear for about a year after I stopped taking them but then they just came back twice as bad...I was devastated as I had mild acne but now I have breakouts everywhere:(

MemberMember
(@rarrrgh)

Posted : 05/13/2013 10:56 pm

Ive been on mino for close to a month now and all last week my face got better everyday. Now the last two days im breaking out horribly :( why???

MemberMember
(@k3tchup)

Posted : 05/14/2013 12:54 am

antibiotics treat symptoms and are no cure. They can lead to resistance and decreasing body's own immune defenses. I found that i did worse with prolonged AB use or use of antimicrobial washes. I wash my face with water, pat dry. The end. Anything more generally irritates skin. The antibiotics kills off the good bacteria both internally and externally. The internal bacteria are used for more than just keeping your gut healthy. For more info on that read up on it. After than imagine using AB for a long time. Your best interventions should focus on diet related, exercise, good hygiene practices and for GOD SAKES don't forget about hand hygiene, how do you think bacteria spread?

MemberMember
(@gilpy25)

Posted : 05/20/2013 12:21 pm

Agree so much about antibiotics... REGRET is the word! My acne spread to my back after taking antibiotics for 7 months, I now have acne all over back and I can't get rid if it :-( x

MemberMember
(@auguriesofinnocence)

Posted : 05/20/2013 1:19 pm

I was given antibiotics back in 2006 by my first derm, who never bothered to explore WHY I still had acne at 25. I took minocyclen on and off for years. I agree with the other posters, when I stopped the med the acne came back and spread to my back. The antibiotics worked for a while but I got yeast infections and they gradually lost effectiveness.

Not until last year did I find out hormones were to blame. Once I took birth control, I was clear and had a lot less oil production. I always knew my cycles werent right but it took way too long to find out the real reason.