Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi everybody!

I'm a 19 near old Caucasian male living in the UK that has problems with skin in general. I'll keep this short and sweet.

Ever since about a year ago, my skin has changed for the worse. I used to have oily skin that looked quite nice and was easy to maintain with products that are good to cleanse and clean skin. Well, here lies the dilemma.

About one year ago my skin turned from oily to dry in a month, i guess. It refused the regime i was on, which was the acne. org cleanser (which i liked when my skin was oily) and the acne.org moisturizer. Ever since that year, my skin looks awful in general. It never moisturizes, looks really pale and grayish and doesn't look plump, it just looks thinner like too little butter spread over bread. The acne isn't too bad since I've used Erythromycin this 3 or so months to topically to treat it. I cannot wash my facial skin every day because it looks really pale and horrid, like dry and dehydrated at the same time. During the day, it will look like dry skin with a layer of oil on top of it. Which, for those who aren't familiar, looks dreadful. To make it tolerant, it would require about 5 days of moisturizing before it looks OK. That's just at acceptable levels.

I've tried things to combat this. Oh how I've tried. I've tried the oil cleanse method to no avail. I've tried using only hydrating products (cleansers, toners and moisturizers) which haven't worked. I've recently tried to use a glycolic acid toner @ 5% strength, which actually made by skin look good for about 2 weeks before i had red rashes around my nose and eyebrows (if i washed my skin, it would go back to this dreaded pale, dehydrated look).

Tried these things :

-Jojoba oil with moisturizer and on its own.

-Safflower oil piled on amused.gif

-Emollient creams (ones without detergents)

-Moisturizing lotions and creams that are non-comedogenic.

-Vitamin e pills

-Fish oil pills

-Aloe Vera gel

-Glycolic acid (5% toner)

-Various other oils.

-Avoided SLS and strong alcohol ingredients and general skin drying/irritants

-Using Cetaphil (Skill my skin looked bad)

I drink 2 liters of water a day.

It takes about 4-5 days for it to moisturizer and look OK if i constantly apply moisturizer 2 times a day with no washing in between. Why is this? If i do wash my face, it goes back to its dry and dehydrated look (is dehydrated the right word?) and would take 4-5 days again to look OK again. This is certainly not good for acne as you well already know. My acne doesn't get much worse if i do this, thankfully. I think this is partly because i am using a non-comedogenic moisturizer (DML lotion).

What i'm really desperate to know is whether there is anything i can do to fix this at all. Is this a symptom to a deficiency? I've had bloods done before and they have shown to be fine. I'm just desperate to know what can be done. I don't want to look horrible as this does have a huge knockon effect to my esteem and my personality in general.

Thank you and i hope you can help x

Edited by xninja

Unfortunately I have not experienced your problem, but since you have to deal with a dry skin you might want to try a honey mask. You can use pure honey and leave that on your face for a little while. On this site you can find reviews for the this home remedy, but you might want to google 'honey mask dry skin'. I hope it helps!