Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
samzeh

Need Advice Regarding Back/neck Acne

So for the past 6 years I have had really bad acne on my neck, my face has usually been clear but with the occasional white heads that come up every few weeks but these will usually heal fast and go away.

I have put up with this acne for the past 6 years, mainly due to my mother telling me that I will soon grow out of it. Well here I am at the age of 19 and still getting acne on my back, I can certainly say that it is not as aggressive as it used to be i would have red inflamed zits all over my back and be in really bad pain, now it's just usually 2 a week that will pop up that are really big and sore. my back does have redness over it that look like spots but are flat scars i think? i also have little white scars all over my back and shoulders, I never had acne on my neck untill the last 6 months which is confusing for it to start now.

I have tried all the creams from the doctors and I am currently on tetrasy anti biotics which I have been on for 3-4 months now, I really don't know what to do I have no one to talk to about this, and i'm unsure if I want to take accutane as it is, my bones crack a lot and i have had a lot of injuries from the gym previously also my vit d levels have been low previously so i'm not sure if accutane is right for me.

All I want to know is when will I grow out of this? is it still because i'm a teenager? will I have this acne untill im 25? I really hope someone with extensive knowledge can help me here.

thanks

mine is mostly on the back of my neck but i also get it on the front aswell but not as severe, thanks for the reply hang in there man

Hey Sam I was going to make a post about body acne, but then read your question and decided to answer you :) I am like you....I've struggled (or used to) with acne not only on my face but also on my body. I could never understand it. Topical medications managed it, but it didn't quite fix it.

When I came to acne.org in early 2011, I had cystic breakouts EVERYWHERE...I had struggled with acne for over a decade. I began reading that using detergent in laundry, certain shampoos, and soaps can irritate acne. At that time, I had HUGE cysts break out around my rib cage and everywhere else...it was so painful and horrible I thought it was shingles. So, I changed shampoos (I use Aveda scalp benefits and refuse to use anything else!), I started using papaya soap, I threw away all the body scrubbers and washes, showering soon after I worked out, and I stopped washing my clothes in detergent. Sometimes I use a little liquid stain remover (wisk) and I avoid ALL fragrances and anything that will irritate my skin.

The results? Amazing....I could cry because how skin my clear is...and truly how far I've come. At the moment, I've had those stubborn bumps come back and more actual pimples. I couldn't understand why, thinking it may have been that I was sunburned. But tonight when I was doing laundry, I found that effing Bounce fragrance bar that attaches to the wall of the dryer. I was FUMING mad!!!! I told my sister that thing breaks my skin out, and she still puts it in. I totally forgot to check the dryer the last few months....! Now, I understand why I've been breaking out on my back again.... I basically have to rewash all my sheets, towels, and clothes (although I hang up most of my clothes). This is the second or third time it's happened.

So, I want to encourage you NOT to take accutane. I was on it....acne is much deeper than that..usually it takes faithfully making a lifestyle change to clear up your skin.... and you may have amazing results like me if you do what I did....it takes a few months.

1. Change your shampoo. Not even an "organic" one is good. I would look into Aveda scalp benefits. It has no sodium laurel sulfate SLS (I went out of town over spring break and forgot my shampoo...I used some cheap stupid brand and despite washing my hair upside down I STILL broke out on my scalp, neck, and back in HUGE painful zits. SLS is the biggest trigger for my breakouts).

2. STOP IRRITATING your skin. Be gentle, limit fragrances and scrubs. Papaya soap is very smoothing and it has a whitening effect and can help minimize scars/discoloration

3. Limit the detergent you use...again it can irritate skin.

Best of luck to you bro. Message me if you have more questions!!!

Thanks for your reply mate, i appreciate it. I have been using baby johnson's shampoo recently as I thought it didn't contain much as it was "simple" and for babies. I recently read about people using head and shoulders to soak on their back? so I bought this shampoo not to use on my back but to clean my hair with as I thought if people are using this to dry their back or whatever it will be fine for my hair. Please tell me if i am wrong.

I went back to the doctor's on friday after 5 months on tetracycline with no results, sure my acne has gone down a bit but it's still coming up now and then. She told me to try doxycycline for a month and see how it goes, she also gave me a duac cream 5% benozyl peroxide to use.

As for my laundry my mother does it, I think she uses ariel i have told her that people claim detergeants break people out and she just told me not to be stupid and that she only uses a little bit haha, i will nag her again later on, if you don't use detergeants what do you use? just water? i really don't know how to use a washing machine, yeah i know it's bad I am 19 aswell lol :$.

Hey I don't come on the boards much, but I thought I would check up on this post. :) Basically, I don't use a shampoo that has sodium lauryl sulfate...which even the most expensive "organic" brands can still have sulfates in them. However, I think the papaya soap has something similar to sodium lauryl sulfate...but the papaya soap has DRASTICALLY helped my skin! I was out of town and forgot to bring my shampoo.... and I used some knock-off brand of head and shoulders....my scalp, neck, and back broke out a lot and it took a good month to really clear my skin up again. So, I personally wouldn't use head and shoulders... I would suggest maybe you try a "sulfate" free shampoo for about a month and see how your skin does.

It's really rough to take antibiotics. They mess up your intestinal tract because they disrupt the normal flora (bacteria) in your body- not to mention they are extremely hard on your kidneys. I've only taken topical antibiotics, and took bactrim orally a few months ago because of an ear infection. It actually helped my skin a lot. But then when I went off of it I got the same little breakouts as before. Still, I wouldn't be on antibiotics for short-term, let alone long-term.

Well, It's maybe not so unfortunate that you mom does your laundry, because this would be a huge blessing to me. I've been doing my own laundry since I was about 10 years old! (My mom worked like crazy so...I had to grow up fast!) Anyways, if you don't want your clothes to be washed in detergent, it might be a motivation for you to learn how to use the washing machine :) I actually don't allow my family members to do my laundry. My mom knows a little better not to add soap, but she still forgets. It sounds like your mom isn't really listening to your concerns. There are so many chemicals in detergents and soaps that are not good for one's skin and she should acknowledge this... You have considered taking DRASTIC measures like accutane... I believe you should make simple accommodations in not washing your clothes in detergent first...and literally modifying anything to get rid of body acne. Trust me on this...I had body acne every where- neck, scalp, back, chest FOR YEARS!!! It's only been for a year now that I've experienced consistent smooth skin, and I believe it's because of the adjustments I made. I was on accutane, and all the acne came back because my skin is STILL sensitive to the things that broke it out before. My friend actually told me she doesn't wash her clothes with any soap, and then I started to do the same.

Yes, I wash my clothes in hot or warm water, gentle cycle, with a tiny (literally) bit of a liquid detergent. I've tried to wash my clothes all sorts of ways- hot water with powder detergent hoping it would dissolve the soap, cold water only yet my clothes don't seem to get clean, just hot water but my clothes shrink, etc. I actually will refuse to use towels or sheets that still smell like detergent or fragrance. I don't even need to smell them... the fact that my skin feels itchy and crawling will be enough for me not to use it. But honestly, since I don't use detergent, my skin is more sensitive and I pick up on how my body/skin is reacting to my environment. I've been surprised of how long I ignored it!

I hope you will make the best choices for yourself... the body is really amazing at healing itself...if we let it. Like I said in my last comment: change shampoos, stop scrubbing/irritating/picking your skin, and stop using detergent on your sheets, towels, and clothes. I've given this same advice to MANY other people, and they are clearing up.

Been on doxycycline for around 2 months now and still am getting acne on my shoulders/back, the chest has calmed down a lot. I went to the doctors a few days ago he has reffered me to the hospital to have talks regarding accutane, i think this is the only option now.

i hav bacne 2 :( i m 19 now n had them since 13.. it hasnt cured yet but i think i hav made a breakthrough n last few months.. bt i hasnt cleared yt bt still gve it a try if u want.. cut fruits n nuts n rice n dairy n high suger foods.. my bacne is reduced though not gone.. m gna go on vegitable diet frm tmrw.. nly boiled vegitables for 2 weeks.. hope it helps..