Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Swj48

Considering Quitting The Regimen

I have been on the regimen since September. It works. No denying that fact. The dryness and peeling drove me crazy, just like most people, but for the past few months I have been much less dry and basically no peeling or flaking. My skin is probably 98% clear. I get an occasional zit but never really more than 1 or 2 at a time. I'm very happy with my skin as far as acne goes. I went camping a week ago and didn't wash my face with ANYTHING, not even water, for 4 days... That didn't really help lol but that was to be expected. I've had a little breakout for the past week since the trip but still nothing bad and barely even noticeable unless up close in the mirror.

Anyway, I'm tired of how long the regimen takes. I'm tired of how expensive products are. I'm tired of randomly having a day or two where my skin looks red, or feels scaly and tight. I'm tired of how oily the regimen makes my skin look and feel. It is all just getting old. I truly believe the regimen is the best there is at clearing acne, but I honestly do not think it is the best option for overall skin care and health, even if you have acne.

So, I am considering quitting the regimen. I currently do a modified/reduced version of it. I cleanse as recommended, but I only use about 1/2 a pump of bp, and 1.5 pumps of moisturizer. Reducing the bp to this amount was a slow process, because I wanted to make sure I stayed clear, but I got down to this level and am still clear, and it greatly reduces the time it takes to do the regimen, and the dryness it causes. However, I'm still just tired of it. I'm gonna try and stop. I will still cleanse with a gentle cleanser as Dan recommends (I use purpose gentle cleanser) twice a day, but I'm done with bp, and I'm done with globbing gratuitous amounts of moisturizer on my face all the time.

I'm gonna give this a shot. I think I may have success since I have been able to reduce my regimen to a very small amount of bp, but only time will tell. My hope is that by finally getting clear for the first time since I was 15-16 years old, my skin will be done with acne now, and only require standard cleansing, no chemicals and acne medicines.

I'm going to try and keep this updated as I go so people can follow along and maybe consider trying the same thing. But I don't frequent this site much anymore because I have been clear for awhile and stopped needing advice and support.

So, here's to staying clear, getting off all the products, and having clear AND NORMAL skin.

Congrats on being clear! I think your approach of reducing the amount of BP/moisturizer is good! However, I would keep reducing it, instead of stopping cold turkey. Try applying BP once a day, for example, and see how it goes (and also reduce the amount of moisturizer when you don't use BP). Try it for some time, and then reduce it to once every other day, etc. It would be a shame if you had to start all over, just because you're tired of applying it. All the time and effort you've put into getting clear would be wasted.

heyy long time no talk! i quit the regimen a little over a month ago! =)

i was tired of the extreme dryness, which never went away. my face was also "tanned" a weird color that didn't match the rest of my body. it was embarrassing. and other days my face would be red as hell. i was beginning to think i was developing an allergy to it. so i started using it only once a day. that still didn't help. so then i switched to a different BP. and same thing. so i decided to quit completely. then for 2 weeks i used clean & clear dual action moisturizer so i could have some kind of medicine on there before i completely stopped using products. then 2 weeks ago i talked to my bf's dad about my skin and he has me on a water only regimen. so now for almost 2 weeks i have been only washing at night and doing NOTHING after, which is soo nice and time saving. but, i was waking up with tiny tiny pimples around my nose and random places. so now i'm not using soap at all and going strictly water only. i'll keep you updated on my progress! =) good luck to you! p.s. i noticed under my eyes have little wrinkles now. definitely from the BP =( hopefully they'll go away. BP ruined my skin. if i get upset or anything, my face flushes in weird places. sometimes it gets blotchy for no reason. i'm glad i stopped!

The regimen is good to clear up your acne but it doesn't cure the cause of acne. That comes from a healthy life style, eating a healthy diet and curing your internal system.

heyy long time no talk! i quit the regimen a little over a month ago! =)

i was tired of the extreme dryness, which never went away. my face was also "tanned" a weird color that didn't match the rest of my body. it was embarrassing. and other days my face would be red as hell. i was beginning to think i was developing an allergy to it. so i started using it only once a day. that still didn't help. so then i switched to a different BP. and same thing. so i decided to quit completely. then for 2 weeks i used clean & clear dual action moisturizer so i could have some kind of medicine on there before i completely stopped using products. then 2 weeks ago i talked to my bf's dad about my skin and he has me on a water only regimen. so now for almost 2 weeks i have been only washing at night and doing NOTHING after, which is soo nice and time saving. but, i was waking up with tiny tiny pimples around my nose and random places. so now i'm not using soap at all and going strictly water only. i'll keep you updated on my progress! =) good luck to you! p.s. i noticed under my eyes have little wrinkles now. definitely from the BP =( hopefully they'll go away. BP ruined my skin. if i get upset or anything, my face flushes in weird places. sometimes it gets blotchy for no reason. i'm glad i stopped!

Hope your new water only regimen works out for you! I've been reading a lot about simple regimens like that where in the morning you only use the water from the shower, no cleanser at all, and at night either doing the same thing or using a cleanser at night only. No other products. Seems like the reasoning behind it is to let your skin just be normal and it will heal itself and balance out which will stop the acne. I definitely have major skin imbalance due to the regimen. Dry and oily and weird texture all at once, just strange overall lol. Color hasn't been an issue for me though really except for occasional days where my skin looks a little red and irritated randomly. I'm really leaning towards trying one of those water only regimens as well just to see if my skin will balance out and go back to normal how it use to be when I only had a little bit of acne and wasn't using products. It may be worth the risk of breaking out for awhile in the process if it works out in the end. My thing is that I use to have very normal and clear skin, the I started getting some acne around my nose and mouth. My sister and mom told me to start using all these acne products and blah blah which I did, while ignoring my dads recommendation of just using soap and letting it run it's course. Well.. Needless to say my acne got much worse, my skin got weird and oily and dry and always changing but never normal. Now it's been 5 years since then and I still have weird skin and acne. Though the acne is not bad at all since starting the regimen as I described. We'll see what happens. I'll keep you updated and please update this with your progress as well so we can compare!

Congrats on being clear! I think your approach of reducing the amount of BP/moisturizer is good! However, I would keep reducing it, instead of stopping cold turkey. Try applying BP once a day, for example, and see how it goes (and also reduce the amount of moisturizer when you don't use BP). Try it for some time, and then reduce it to once every other day, etc. It would be a shame if you had to start all over, just because you're tired of applying it. All the time and effort you've put into getting clear would be wasted.

I will consider doing this instead of quitting cold turkey. I could do it easily if I just keep following the process I used to slow down the bp dosage I'm just getting impatient lol. Your suggestion is probably the better option though and I'm just getting too anxious to quit. We'll see... I'm still so hesitant to even quit the regimen just because I know it clears my skin, that's not a question. It is the only thing that has since I started getting acne. I may just be chasing dreams of normal clear skin if I get off all the products and chemicals, but there is only one way to find out for sure...

The regimen is good to clear up your acne but it doesn't cure the cause of acne. That comes from a healthy life style, eating a healthy diet and curing your internal system.

I live a relatively healthy lifestyle. At least compared to most people. I exercise often, get all my vitamins and minerals, and I don't smoke or do drugs. However, there are some foods I'm just not willing to part ways with lol I love food too much. But I don't need my diet or health is the issue. I'm very healthy by almost all standards. I'm just definitely not willing to go on some crazy diet or cut out dairy (which I love) or anything like that just to maybe clear my skin which isn't really that bad anymore anyway. Lol thanks for the suggestion though! I've considered it before but seeing as I'm already very healthy I'm not convinced it would help much and I'd be giving up a lot of my favorite things.

I have been on the regime over a year and a half now and my skin is perfect and i love the regime and dan for it. Like you i am getting tired with doing it, its not so much the time i just want to move on with that part of my life. At the end of the day though i do not have the courage to quit, i am too used to having this perfect skin, and doing the regime is now just a small price to pay. Sometimes the regime pisses me off but i will never go back to what i had a year and half ago which was a face covered in acne.

I agree with the above poster i do not think you should quit cold turkey but bring it down in dosage and once a day for a while. When you have totally cut it out you should keep some bp around for spot treatment. When i was thinking about quitting i was going to make sure that i was using aha every few days, i believe this will help ppl stay clear when attempting to quit the regime. Anyways i really hope it works and good luck.

A healthy diet may, through placebo and improving your mental health, alleviate acne, but diet is not the cause of acne. Acne is due to a genetic predisposition: excessive oil production and accumulation of dead skin cells. I also firmly believe in a correlation between stress and acne. OP, I would give the Regimen once daily a shot.

Edited by ZeroZero