Notifications
Clear all

Spironolactone

MemberMember
(@alanna345)

Posted : 05/25/2012 11:18 pm

Hey guys,

I wish I posted pics from the before and after but I will explain my journey. I have had acne since I was about 10 years old, by the time I got to high school it was absolutely terrible. My chin was a mess and then zits started breaking out everywhere. I had laser treatments in between and various procedures including levulon and peels. I also had medications and topicals prescribed, tried antibiotics, changed my diet, proactive, pretty much anything you can think of except Accutane. I could not go on accutane due to its unknown long term effects and my health issues. So, by the end of my first year of university I started a bcp that helped my acne at least 50 percent and this was yasmin, none of the other bcps made a big difference for me. At this point in time I had a lot of problems with my chin which was definitely hormone related. I had many deep clogged pores under my skin that would not come to the surface. I still broke out with a couple painful cysts every month and continued to get much hyper pigmentation. During this time I was still getting IPL and throughout high school got something called isolaz, man I have tried it all. Last year I went back to my derm and said listen I don't want to take accutane(they were pushing for low dose accutane) as it is really hard on the body and I asked for another hormonal treatment. I had done a lot of research on spiro and many people were pleasantly happy with it. I have been on it for about a year and what a difference! All I can say is when I started it at first I got a small initial breakout as the amount was being changed and adjusted. I started on 50 plus yasmin which is equivalent to an extra 25mg. Pretty much I was on 75mg for 3 months. After about 3 to 4 months my painful cysts no longer appeared around my period. I was still getting pimples here and there but my chin was still the main problem. After 6 months I noticed further improvement in my oil production and was getting a couple tiny little pimples per month and was upped to 100mgs. About 2 months ago I had to go off bcp due to health issues but upped my dose from 100mg(with yasmin) to 100mg without yasmin. I was scared I would break out from going off the bcp but I didn't because of the spiro. My theory is every time you up the dose you get a small initial breakout but if you decrease it by a little bit it doesn't make much difference. So right now I am on 100mg with no birth control, my periods are a bit irregular now but it gets better with time. The comedones on my chin are finally starting to come to the surface and my chin is looking much better. They were so deep seeded that the derm did not know if it was scar tissue or not. All I can say is it has been a year and the results are even more than I can explain. It is all about patience and for a while I was frustrated but it was my only hope left. It has been maybe 10 months and my bumps under the chin are slowly becoming flat. I would recommend this to ALL women with hormonal acne.

I believe, besides watching your potassium level you can be on this long term until you want to get pregnant. I think if you slowly taper off you can prevent worse breakouts and just keep up a good regimen and or treatments such as peels or lasers. Either way spiro is an amazing pill. In combination with spiro I went to a new skin place and got these new types of peels called AFA. If anybody would like to know about the AFA peels pm me because they are really great. All in all most of my red marks are extremely faint and my chin is flattening out. My skin has dramatically changed in the last couple years, I wish I knew about this drug sooner. This drug pretty much clears everything from the inside out so if you break out along the way it is just getting all your clogged pores to come to the surface. although I did not get anything worse than I had before. I finally feel like I don't need to go on with loads of coverup all the time.

Sorry for the long post I just wanted to give you all some background, spironolactone is a great drug and if you can't find a dermatologist that will give it to you and you know its hormonal (breaking out around period, bad acne on chin or jawline) this is the drug for you and you should not stop until you find the right doctor. I am telling you, I was so skeptical like many of you but it just takes time and it is so worth it, I have tried everything known to man except accutane and I am glad spironolactone was the answer.

It is all about spiro and taking care of your skin with a good regimen. Yes I still get the odd pimple but nothing painful or BIG. I have been through hell and back with my skin and obsessed for years and years and I wouldn't recommend this unless I was sure of its benefits.

Hope this post helps:)

MemberMember
(@hydrobog)

Posted : 05/27/2012 1:41 pm

This post helped me a lot. THANK you for posting it. I have been on Spiro for 3 months and am currently very depressed about the condition of my skin. I am 27, have severe comedonal acne paired with good ol' regular acne. I occasionally get a cyst. My skin is terrible right now and it's just killing my self esteem. I was questioning whether I should stay on it, but after reading your post I will continue to stick with it for a year or so and see what happens.

Thanks hun. I hope your skin continues to get better and more beautiful. smile.png

MemberMember
(@alanna345)

Posted : 05/28/2012 11:57 pm

Hey, no problem anything I can do to help:) I was really impatient at first but this drug really does take months to see the full effect. Your body has to keep adjusting to the new dose but once your on a consistent dose for a while things should start to get better. After 6 months I would take another look at it, but my derm said you may not see any results until far after 3 months. I hope things get better for you and good luck. Let me know what happens

MemberMember
(@sgala3)

Posted : 12/27/2014 3:18 am

*QUESTION I've been on Yaz birthcontrol and spironolactone 150mg for 1 year now , and I have been wanting to get off of Yaz birthcontrol but stay on spiro ,will I stay clear of acne if I stay on my spironolactone dosage and completely get off Yaz? Please and thank you

MemberMember
(@vall23)

Posted : 05/26/2019 6:12 am

hi i know its too late but i started spiro 100mg 7 weeks ago and the first month was horrible, due to the IB.. the 2nd month I am still breaking out, but less severe, also i feel like improvements came in waves or were a constant ? improvement? Like you would have a good week, followed by a bad week of more breakouts, and then back again? Sometimes I think my skin is improving, but then I'll break out more for a week... Perhaps I'm improving overall in the long run, but it's hard to tell.

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 05/27/2019 9:14 pm

The acne of some people on this thread may not be hormonal. If you have taken antibiotics and /or birth control pills, then you very likely have FUNGAL acne, NOT ordinary acne.

Fungal acne an be treated simply, cheaply and SAFELY by applying topical antifungal creams to the affected areas, using an antidandruff shampoo, and keeping the areas with "acne" VERY DRY (NO moisturisers and no organic oils - because one type of fungus that causes fungal acne feeds on these, and all fungus loves moisture).

Spiro will NOT control fungal acne.

MemberMember
(@pianina)

Posted : 05/28/2019 5:17 am

8 hours ago, Aussie Scientist said:

The acne of some people on this thread may not be hormonal. If you have taken antibiotics and /or birth control pills, then you very likely have FUNGAL acne, NOT ordinary acne.

Fungal acne an be treated simply, cheaply and SAFELY by applying topical antifungal creams to the affected areas, using an antidandruff shampoo, and keeping the areas with "acne" VERY DRY (NO moisturisers and no organic oils - because one type of fungus that causes fungal acne feeds on these, and all fungus loves moisture).

Spiro will NOT control fungal acne.

How to know your acne is fungal? I took Spiro before but it did nothing to me. BC made the cysts disappear but there's still a lot of persistant acne nothing seems to help. But the breakout are of different sizes (pustules and blind ones), which seems to not fall into fungal acne cathegory.

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 05/28/2019 10:48 pm

Fungal acne has many appearances. Anyone with persistent acne who has taken antibiotics and/or birth control pills most likely has fungal acne. Antibiotics and birth control pills CAUSE fungal acne.

Fungal acne loves moisture and one type of fungal acne feeds on organic oils, so using organic oils can also trigger fungal acne.

Do you have a white tongue (indicates candida fungus)? Do you have dandruff ? (indicates malasezzia fungus). If you have taken antibiotics and /or birth control pills and you have chronic acne that does not respond to treatments for ordinary acne then you very likely have fungal acne.

If you also have a white tongue and/or dandruff/flaking skin, red rashes and/or the "acne" is itchy then you almost certainly (ie 99%) have fungal acne.

Fungal acne is treated by applying antifungal cream/s and KEEPING THE AFFECTED AREA VERY DRY. DO NOT APPLY MOISTURISERS OR ORGANIC OILS TO THE AREAS WITH ACNE. Malaezzia fungus feeds on organic oils an ALL fungus loves moisture.

Stay by applying clotrimazole antifungal cream to the affected area and washing your hair in an antidandruff shampoo. I would consider stopping taking birth control pills, if that is possible.

Get back to me if the clotrimazole cream does not control the problem after a week or so.