Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
curiousz

Accutane changes your DNA; makes you age quicker

Has anyone been to www.ragforum.com ? It's a forum devoted specifically to accutane, and it is the sole reason I am not going to pursue the drug.

I was seriously considering taking accutane as a solution to my body acne problems, as nothing else will work.

After reading that forum, it seems as though the accutane in your body does have permanent side effects, some of which may not even be seen for 15-20 years.

It speeds up the aging process, it kills cells at a much faster rate (it is a cancer drug, afterall) and over time, you will begin to notice significant changes in your body. The medicine is still binding to the receptors in cells for many years on out, which is why it can cure acne.

Accutane hasn't been around long enough to notice the long term side-effects. Slowly, but surely, people who took accutane when it first came out back in the early 1980s are just now seeing the side effects of taking the drug...people are getting cataracts at a much younger age (in their 40s) then they otherwise would have...

Many say, at first they were thrilled. They had perfect, clear skin that they never had before. However, now they have significant health problems that are irreversable...

It's really depressing. I truly wanted to take accutane, because it truly does deal with the acne at the cause (it's the only drug to do so). But the side effects (long term) seem too risky...

I now have no other alternatives. I must live with this disease (acne), and that's it.

There aren't any freaking alternatives that are worth a damn.

I ADVISE EVERYONE: Just because you experience little serious side effects EARLY ON IN YOUR ACCUTANE TREATMENT, DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU ARE SAFE.

ACCUTANE CANNOT ALTER YOUR DNA. RAG forum is mostly comprised of people who took vitamin A supplements at the same time as Accutane.. BAD IDEA. They brought it on themseleves because they didn't read the packet.

Blaiming random problems that occur later in life on Roaccutane is not correct.

It alters the way your DNA is replicated, thus having dire consequences. Sorry for not clarifying.

Most of the people on the RAG forum (that I'm aware of) did not take Vitamin A supplements at the same time. If they did, I'm sure I would have read about it (as I've read a lot on that site).

So you aren't going to take Accutane - who cares? Leave us alone. We've done our own research and believe what certified medical professionals (our dermatologists) tell us, not a random internet user. Let's see... should I believe my dermatologist who has been prescribing accutane for 30 years... or should I listen to Curious Z? It's a tough decision...

It alters the way your DNA is replicated, thus having dire consequences. Sorry for not clarifying.

Most of the people on the RAG forum (that I'm aware of) did not take Vitamin A supplements at the same time. If they did, I'm sure I would have read about it (as I've read a lot on that site).

So you aren't going to take Accutane - who cares?  Leave us alone.  We've done our own research and believe what certified medical professionals (our dermatologists) tell us, not a random internet user.  Let's see... should I believe my dermatologist who has been prescribing accutane for 30 years... or should I listen to Curious Z?  It's a tough decision...

To be honest, I'd take the word of long-term accutane users over that of dermatologists. Not that the derms aren't trying to help you, but their methods of trying to help you with acne are all the same. They start you off on antibiotics and topicals, and if those don't work then they move on to accutane. Anyone could be a derm.

You say that you believe what certified derms and doctors say. However, even these professionals do not know the long-term effects of this drug. All we can go by are documented cases of those who have taken the drug and how they feel 10-20 years down the line, which is what this forum is doing.

Please explain to me how this is possible. I have studied Biology in 6th form so I know a fair amount about the replication of DNA, involvement of mRNA, etc. I'm sure it wouldn't be too technical for me if you were to explain how exaclty Accutane affects the replication of DNA.

On September 14, 1990 researchers at the U.S. National Institutes of Health performed the first gene therapy procedure on four-year old Ashanti DeSilva

You're trying to say that 8 years before this accutane was already at work altering genes in humans?

It alters gene expression, not the genes themselves.

I think I've made it clear by now.

It does not change your DNA, rather it changes it's expression.

After reading that forum, it seems as though the accutane in your body does have permanent side effects, some of which may not even be seen for 15-20 years.

Screw it all. I had a breakout when my summer vacation started, i stayed in the house for a month before it clearned up, if i did go out i felt like everyone was looking with me. Now that i am accutance i am 100% clear (minus the dark spots). When i go out i feel so much better about my self. If i did not take accutance, i would be at home feeling like crap. I love accutnace, and if it makes me die 10 years earlier, at least i had a great life.

If you do not want accutance do not do it. If you can walk around with cysts and pimples on your face go ahead , No one is stopping you.

We all researched accutance and when we started taking it we knew there would be a chance of us even killing ourselves, i took that chance and i stick by it.

I hate how people on these boards get so heated over someone posting a good,thought provoking topic.Curious never said "dont take acccutane, it will kill you, your all dumb, screw you if you take it'. Hes simply telling some info hes gained, whether its true or not everyones gotta calm down.

I really want to take accutane because I agree with everyone here that it's the single most effective acne-drug on the market. period.

However, I'm just telling people to be careful. There's a lot of unknowns about this drug, and the long term side effects can potentially be very serious. I've got a friend on accutane and his skin is completely clear, however he has also had cuts/lesions that have scabbed over and have NOT healed...they have left a huge red patch of skin and he doesn't know what it is. Any drug that affects cellular creation like this is serious, and 10-20 years down the line you MAY regret what you put into your system.

There should be better, safer, and more effective forms of treatment than accutane these days.

Acne is a horrible disease, and I can sympathy with wanting a drug like accutane that will completely cure it.

I'm glad it's helping out people's acne

HEY - everybody stop bitching about how curiousz shouldn't have posted this forum. First off, I am ON accutane right now, so by reading this kind of stuff helps me to learn more about the drug I am putting into my body day in and day out. I'm not an ignorant person, and I don't intend to become one now.

Second, this is merely an opinon and not a fact, and thus should be treated as so. I find it very interesting to hear these kinds of accutane "side effects", and whether it be true or not... It's better to be safe than sorry.

-kt

I just advise people to look at what they have to say, because they influenced my decision somewhat.

On the positive side: more than 500,000 people/year take Accutane in the US alone, and many in Britain and abroad. Perhaps these effects are isolated, and I hope so, because accutane is taken by a lot of people.

Even knowing these side effects, I may end up taking accutane if I can't take acne anymore. You've only got one life to live. One youth. And if having a clear skin will change your attitude, let you meet more significant others, and then potentially get married, then you'll be much happier.

curiousz,

i didnt mean to sound rude, i do respect your opinion and am thankfull you took your time to suply this forum with further information about this drug, as i am taking it. I was merely expressing my own opinion on the subject.