Notifications
Clear all

Should I Stick With Spiro?

MemberMember
(@hydrobog)

Posted : 05/25/2012 1:42 pm

I started Spironolactone in mid-March. For the first month I was on 100 mg a day, and the last two months I've been upped to 150 mgs per day. I've been struggling really badly with some really bad congestion - just TONS of closed comedones. My derm was pretty shocked when she saw my face the first time, wanted to put me on Accutane, but since I have no health insurance, that was a no go.

Anyhow, 3 months later I don't really see any improvement. My derm said that the congestion would probably take 4-6 months to improve, but I'm still also dealing with daily breakouts, and things just seem to take forever to heal. I guess the only place I've seen improvement is on my forehead and upper hairline, which is almost 100% clear.

I guess I'm kind of discouraged. Does anyone have any positive stories with Spiro that will boost my spirits? I guess I feel like 3 months in I should see SOME kind of improvement, and I don't feel like I am. I'm bummed. I had really high hopes for Spiro.

MemberMember
(@hydrobog)

Posted : 05/27/2012 1:37 pm

I guess no one has any uplifting success stories for me? Bummer!

I have gone through and read old posts that have this same sort of theme. It seems like Spiro is unpredictable - it works quickly for some, takes a long time for others, and doesn't work at all for a few unlucky ones.

I currently have worse acne now than I did when I started back in February (not March, as my prev. post says) and although I pretend it doesn't bother me, inside I am extremely upset and self conscious. I'm 27, btw. Been struggling with acne since I was 13.

I will return to this site in July or August and post an update. Hopefully my experience will help someone else!

MemberMember
(@niing)

Posted : 05/31/2012 9:32 pm

Seriously you should stick with it. It will work

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 06/07/2012 2:34 pm

It's been almost 4 months for me and I am seeing a reduction in cysts. Spiro just fixes the hormones that drive cyst creation under the skin...it's not going to help your skin heal. I am also on retin-a micro to get the gunk out of my skin. I would definitely try to get a strong retinoid and keep taking the spiro.

MemberMember
(@hydrobog)

Posted : 03/28/2013 4:07 pm

It's been a long time but I would like to update this.

I have been on Spiro for over a year now. My skin is MUCH better. It's not perfect - I still have some congestion on my cheeks, particularly on my left cheek (on which I tend to sleep at night), but I rarely get large pimples anymore, usually only around my time of the month and when I do it's usually only just 1. My forehead and hairline are 100% clear, which is wonderful. My chin still has blackheads, but the small under the skin bumps I had before spiro are at a minimum.

I am very pleased with Spiro!

I am using Osmosis products in conjunction with Spiro, as suggested by my esthetician. I use Clarify in the morning and at night, mixed with 2 drops of grapefruit seed extract, and in the morning I also use Quench as a moisturizer. I really like the Osmosis line, my skin is much healthier looking and has a nice glow.