Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Err

Low Dose Accutane, Second Course

Decided to make this log since low dose treatments aren't that popular. I finished a normal course of accutane six months ago, reached the cumulative dosage of 120mg/kg and got to enjoy clear skin for a while. Now my acne is coming back, luckily not as bad as before but still enough for me to start taking accutane again. I would classify my acne as mild, however, the frustration of having good skin then going back to having acne is just horrible. I just want this to be over with.

I started 10 days ago and will be taking 20mg/day for 6 months, depending on how my skin reacts. I weigh 155lbs/70kg. Looking forward to seeing how dosages under 0.5mg/kg/day work for mild acne. To anyone interested, here's one study that sparked my interest in trying this approach. http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16546586

Day 10

- Dry skin, mostly around my mouth.

- Dry lips

- Few whiteheads and one thats really inflamed and painful. Hurts to open my mouth. Seems like I'm having my IB since I'm getting acne on places that are usually clear. I kinda hope so because I dont want this to get any worse. During the first course my initial breakout was horrible and never really cleared until I took my last pill.

Decided to make this log since low dose treatments aren't that popular. I finished a normal course of accutane six months ago, reached the cumulative dosage of 120mg/kg and got to enjoy clear skin for a while. Now my acne is coming back, luckily not as bad as before but still enough for me to start taking accutane again. I would classify my acne as mild, however, the frustration of having good skin then going back to having acne is just horrible. I just want this to be over with.

I started 10 days ago and will be taking 20mg/day for 6 months, depending on how my skin reacts. I weigh 155lbs/70kg. Looking forward to seeing how dosages under 0.5mg/kg/day work for mild acne. To anyone interested, here's one study that sparked my interest in trying this approach. http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16546586

Day 10

- Dry lips

- Few whiteheads and one thats really inflamed and painful. Hurts to open my mouth. Seems like I'm having my IB since I'm getting acne on places that are usually clear. I kinda hope so because I dont want this to get any worse. During the first course my initial breakout was horrible and never really cleared until I took my last pill.

Hi there. Sad to hear you have to take it again. Here's to hoping you get clear for good:)

Can you prevent the IB from happening? I have primarily oily skin and during my first month, my pores were so clogged from the sudden stop of oil flow that my cheeks and forehead broke out, which hasn't happened for 5 years. I'm using St. Ives apricot scrub everyday, biore pore strips, and I'll ask my derm for topical antibiotic to use at night. Don't give any pore the chance to become a pimple. I would use benzoyl peroxide, it worked wonders for my teenage acne years, but one day out of the blue, I became allergic to it, haha.

Hi there. Sad to hear you have to take it again. Here's to hoping you get clear for good:)

Can you prevent the IB from happening? I have primarily oily skin and during my first month, my pores were so clogged from the sudden stop of oil flow that my cheeks and forehead broke out, which hasn't happened for 5 years. I'm using St. Ives apricot scrub everyday, biore pore strips, and I'll ask my derm for topical antibiotic to use at night. Don't give any pore the chance to become a pimple. I would use benzoyl peroxide, it worked wonders for my teenage acne years, but one day out of the blue, I became allergic to it, haha.

Hi, I've been following your log actually. I'm pretty confident that I'll stay clear after this course. My skin isn't that oily to begin with, except for my forehead. Usually I wake up and my skin is relatively dry and it gets a little shinier through the day. Years ago I had to blot it with a towel all the time.

As for day 11, nothing new. I'm thinking of upping the dosage to 30mg after the first month but it all depends on how my skin improves.

Day 10

- Dry lips

Good luck with your second treatment with Accutane mate. I really hope it works and keeps your acne way once and for all. I'll probably follow your blog, since I'll be starting tomorrow or Tuesday, fingers crossed the dermatologist agrees to prescribe Accutane for me.

Good luck......... I'm also on a low dose modified accurate treatment............... Hoping we survive and conquer the evil that is acne

Day 16

-Dryness is really starting to kick in. Skin is flaking a little bit around my nose. Didn't expect it to happen this fast on such a low dose. Might have to start moisturizing twice a day from now on.

-Had some breakouts the last few days but they're mostly gone now. I only have one active pimple and a few red marks that are healing.