Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cestjean

Aldactone Not Doing Anything?

I'm new here, both to the board and acne. In the last year (I'm 35) my face has become awful. Huge pimples and cysts covering the majority of my face from my cheekbones to my jaw. The dermatologist believes its hormonal and started me on Spiro, which did nothing. Changed to Aldactone, and nothing as of yet (about 5 weeks). How long do I wait until I try something else? I also use Differing lotion and it doesn't seem to do anything.

I'm not oily or dry, just covered in red, angry cysts along with these tiny bumps all over my cheeks. No idea what those are but they look worse with make up!

Any suggestions?

Spiro is not the fastest working medication unfortunately. I got some literature on it from the derm that states it takes about 6 months. Quite a few women on here have had good results with it. Don't give up hope, you will find get this under control. Perhaps, talk to the derm and see if there is anything that can help in the interim, like maybe a short course of antibiotics while you are waiting for the spiro to take effect. Have you tried an anti-inflammatory diet? A low glycemic dairy free (anti-inflammatory) diet helps some people. Good luck, you will get through this, you are not alone in this acne struggle.

I'm new here, both to the board and acne. In the last year (I'm 35) my face has become awful. Huge pimples and cysts covering the majority of my face from my cheekbones to my jaw. The dermatologist believes its hormonal and started me on Spiro, which did nothing. Changed to Aldactone, and nothing as of yet (about 5 weeks). How long do I wait until I try something else? I also use Differing lotion and it doesn't seem to do anything.

I'm not oily or dry, just covered in red, angry cysts along with these tiny bumps all over my cheeks. No idea what those are but they look worse with make up!

Any suggestions?

good luck, I know how bad it is to have acne. Maybe you could get antibiotics just until teh spiro kicks in?

Thank you both! I called the derm last week and she's starting me on Monodox to see if that can help in the meantime. I have days were I have no new cysts or pimples and think its turning around but then the next morning 6 new ones appear. :(

She mentioned Aldactone "taking time" but didn't give me a time line. At this point I'm 2 months in and nothing.

Hopefully the antibiotics will help a bit.