Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest foxtrotter

I Have Tried Everything. Anyone Have Any Suggestions?

Guest sugarglide

I have tried literally every OTC and prescription cleanser, cream, gel, kit, medication, etc:

Proactiv

Clinique Acne systems

Dr. Murad kit

Mario Badescu

Differin

Duac

BP

Retin-A Micro

Salicylic Acid

Glycolic Acid

Doxycyline

Solodyn

Spironolactone

Yaz

Ortho Tri Cyclin

Ziana gel

Clindamycin

Vitamin B5

Vitamin A

Omega 369

Tea Tree Oil

Apple Cider Vinegar

Urine Therapy

My Acne Story: (GIRLS- you might find this really helpful when deciding what meds to take!)

Freshman year of high school, I would get pimples here and there on my forehead or around my nose or cheeks, then sophomore year, I literally just had acne on my forehead (but would hide them with short side swept bangs), junior year, my forehead acne cleared up and I was decently clear from just using BP at night. Summer of junior year going into senior year, I went out on tour in Europe with a best friend of mine (who's mother was currently performing) and was confident enough to not pack any of my creams since my skin looked pretty good. Within the next week I was breaking out, BAD. I don't know if it had to do with something in the water or the fact that we'd order room service and eat french fries all day or the fact that we just sat in the hotel not doin crap, but my acne was going out of control.

When I got back from the three weeks that I was in Europe, I went to my term and she prescribed me Spiro and Solodyn. I was on those meds for about a year or so and yeah, it did clear me up, but not entirely. I did get side effects and still have them to this day such as excessive belching after everything I eat and digestive issues that I had NEVER had before. I NEVER used to burp or have any issues with the junk that I'd eat and now I burp all the freaking time and have trouble digesting certain foods. It sucks. cry.gif

I slowly stopped taking Solodyn, then Spiro and I started taking Ortho Tri-Cyclin (birth control) towards the end of senior year to control my 'hormonal acne'. Within the first month, I didn't even realize that I was having the worst mood swings of my life. I turned into a psychotic b*tch! But I just kept going with it for 2 more months and finally had to resort to a different BC. I switched to Yaz with high hopes. Still continued to be a psychotic b, but the mood swings and PMS did kind of get a little better after 2 months or so, or maybe they didn't? Regardless, my skin was pretty darn clear, but not PERFECT FOREARM skin clear.. I stopped taking it after not wanting to deal with the constant bitchyness and depression and my acne came back. Slowly but surely I was getting pimples back on my forehead, around my temples, beneath my temples, and around the wrinkles when you smile (lower cheeks by my mouth).

Now, I am currently washing my face with Purity cleanser and applying Zapzyt BP 10% daily as well as taking Vitamin A 25,000IU and Udo's Omega 369. I guess you could say my skin has been showing a little bit of improvement, but I WANT CLEAR SKIN NOW. I'm literally hopeless and worry about my skin everyday of my life. I wake up touching my face to see if my bumps have sunk down and get up to go check out my skin in the mirror. I hate having to pick at my skin everyday and having to wear makeup whenever I go out. ACNE CONTROLS MY LIFE. I just don't know what else to do anymore. Accutane is out of the question, but I think about it everyday. I already regret taking oral meds for screwing up my digestive system and my insides and I don't want to risk my insides with an even more powerful drug.

Anyone?

Edited by sugarglide

Guest sugarglide

Thanks all for viewing and not leavin shit. You guys rule!!

Hey! Welcome to Acne.org. I was reading your post earlier, but I had to leave for town before I could post. You sound like me, when trying everything. Not really sure what to suggest. Have you tried Cetaphil products?

I started getting pimples when I was about 11 or 12 years old. I am now 18 years old and still battling acne.

I have tried literally every OTC and prescription cleanser, cream, gel, kit, medication, etc:

Proactiv

Clinique Acne systems

Dr. Murad kit

Mario Badescu

Differin

Duac

BP

Retin-A Micro

Salicylic Acid

Glycolic Acid

Doxycyline

Solodyn

Spironolactone

Yaz

Ortho Tri Cyclin

Ziana gel

Clindamycin

Vitamin B5

Vitamin A

Omega 369

Tea Tree Oil

Apple Cider Vinegar

Urine Therapy

My Acne Story: (GIRLS- you might find this really helpful when deciding what meds to take!)

Freshman year of high school, I would get pimples here and there on my forehead or around my nose or cheeks, then sophomore year, I literally just had acne on my forehead (but would hide them with short side swept bangs), junior year, my forehead acne cleared up and I was decently clear from just using BP at night. Summer of junior year going into senior year, I went out on tour in Europe with a best friend of mine (who's mother was currently performing) and was confident enough to not pack any of my creams since my skin looked pretty good. Within the next week I was breaking out, BAD. I don't know if it had to do with something in the water or the fact that we'd order room service and eat french fries all day or the fact that we just sat in the hotel not doin crap, but my acne was going out of control.

When I got back from the three weeks that I was in Europe, I went to my term and she prescribed me Spiro and Solodyn. I was on those meds for about a year or so and yeah, it did clear me up, but not entirely. I did get side effects and still have them to this day such as excessive belching after everything I eat and digestive issues that I had NEVER had before. I NEVER used to burp or have any issues with the junk that I'd eat and now I burp all the freaking time and have trouble digesting certain foods. It sucks. cry.gif

I slowly stopped taking Solodyn, then Spiro and I started taking Ortho Tri-Cyclin (birth control) towards the end of senior year to control my 'hormonal acne'. Within the first month, I didn't even realize that I was having the worst mood swings of my life. I turned into a psychotic b*tch! But I just kept going with it for 2 more months and finally had to resort to a different BC. I switched to Yaz with high hopes. Still continued to be a psychotic b, but the mood swings and PMS did kind of get a little better after 2 months or so, or maybe they didn't? Regardless, my skin was pretty darn clear, but not PERFECT FOREARM skin clear.. I stopped taking it after not wanting to deal with the constant bitchyness and depression and my acne came back. Slowly but surely I was getting pimples back on my forehead, around my temples, beneath my temples, and around the wrinkles when you smile (lower cheeks by my mouth).

Now, I am currently washing my face with Purity cleanser and applying Zapzyt BP 10% daily as well as taking Vitamin A 25,000IU and Udo's Omega 369. I guess you could say my skin has been showing a little bit of improvement, but I WANT CLEAR SKIN NOW. I'm literally hopeless and worry about my skin everyday of my life. I wake up touching my face to see if my bumps have sunk down and get up to go check out my skin in the mirror. I hate having to pick at my skin everyday and having to wear makeup whenever I go out. ACNE CONTROLS MY LIFE. I just don't know what else to do anymore. Accutane is out of the question, but I think about it everyday. I already regret taking oral meds for screwing up my digestive system and my insides and I don't want to risk my insides with an even more powerful drug.

Anyone?

Just out of curiosity do you know about the gel version of accutane? It can help some people, without suffering the side-effects associated with the oral tablets. Otherwise I found getting a facial every month-month and a half and combining it with dermalogica clean start, or some other brand, helped. I also used doxyclyline I'll admit, but I found that the facial helped more than the other products I had used in the past. Past that I don't know what else to say, sorry. Hope you find something that works for you soon.

Hey sugarglide! I thought your pictures looked like folliculitis. Check out the links and see what you think.

/>http://www.acneskincareblog.com/2009/04/28/when-its-not-acne/

/>http://www2.cfpc.ca/cfp/2005/Apr/_images/cme_2_pic4.jpg

I had the same thing for two years and tried a lot of things to get rid of it (although not as many as you). What finally worked was washing my forehead and side cheeks with nizoral shampoo twice a day. Make sure you let it sit on your skin for 3-5 minutes before rinsing. I started seeing results after just a few days. I still use nizoral and I'm pretty much completely clear and have been for 5 years.

Good luck! I hope you find what works for you!

Guest sugarglide

Thank you all for taking the time to help me out!

@BloodJane I'm glad I'm not the only one! And yes, I've used their gentle cleanser and moisturizer and I really did like the cleanser because it felt like it would get a lot of my makeup off and just felt overall really gentle, I just don't know if it helped clearing my acne up at all.

@jamie o Are you talking about the plain tretinoin? Yeah, I forgot to mention that I've tried Atralin which is .05% tretinoin. It just made me kinda oily I don't know.

@akko I ordered Nizoral and should be expecting it in the mail today! That is so exciting! I am praying that it is the same case with me. Did you use it everyday for a period of time? Is that safe? And was your folliculitis popable? (Like, were you able to pop them and what not like acne?) Thanks.

Thank you all for taking the time to help me out!

@jamie o Are you talking about the plain tretinoin? Yeah, I forgot to mention that I've tried Atralin which is .05% tretinoin. It just made me kinda oily I don't know.

I just checked it online and apparently in some country's it might be called tretinoin. In my country it was called something a bit different when I had it, sorry.

Yeah I could extract a lot of them. I had bumps, clogged pores and a few whiteheads.

I looked up the long term effects of nizoral (I got worried too about using it for so long) and the only thing I came up with is that it can lead to a reduction of androgens. since androgens are thought to be partly responsible for acne, I'd call that a win win. :)

I really hope it works for you too!

by looking at your pics... it seems to me.. excess inflammation .. I mean.. 'heat'.. body heat.. is playing a part.. your body's inability to properly expel heat...

but that's just one part.. it seems the products your using is robbing the skin from whatever sebum you may have had, natural skin oils. Your skin looks dry to me.

bacteria, acne bacteria is loving your weak skin, and likes that your skin is nice and weak to defend, and nice and warm and moist, compared to a healthy persons skin, who's skin might be properly coated with their own natural 'healthy?' sebum, and more calm and stable. Perhaps the good bacteria in a healthy persons skin is not present in yours? that's just my own theory.

At this point, I may sound like i know things, but I don't.

Anyways, the future may go like this for you. If you just give up on strong acne products, and just use gentle ones.. and eat a resonably good diet, your acne will go away in 3 years.. like it did for me. 18 acne. 19. less acne. 20. 1 or 3 pimples. 21. 1 pimple on a bad day. 22. none. 23. none. 24. none. oh shit you know my age. AHH

Who knows what's going on internally, a large part of your acne is caused from the inside, it's only worsened by what's happening externally, but the root cause is inside. What does that mean exactly? do you try to become the healthiest person? is that even possible? do you suddenly change your diet to include amazing nutrients? do you expect these amazing nutrients to just immedietly start working? no. they wont. So anyways, welcome to acne.org. where we try to play doctor and be wannabe nutritionists and scientists. yay.

to be safe. just use gentle cleansers, i like clean and clear.. the creamy daily cleanser one, it's gentle i think.. but use that.. once a day is enough. Do not use anything else.. and truly try to understand .. what is happening to your skin... try this for atleast a week.

ask yourself what's happening, is this because your dirty? no.

if it because your not eating right? perhaps, but suddenly changing your diet will definitely not magically treat you.

is it something like hormone imbalance? we don't have an answer for this, and if you experiment, you will... not succeed. sorry.

is it something else? some kind of internal healthy skin mechanism failure? possibly, but wtf does that mean right... i dont know.

More is not better, less is better! LESS LESS LESS! LESS!!! for fucks sake! LESS!

Edited by Wangod

Guest sugarglide

@akko Yay! That is awesome! I just showered with it and rubbed it all over my face for a few. I'm hoping I see some sort of improvement in the morning! :)

@Wangod Gotcha. I'm just going to start using a gentle cleanser and possibly moisturizer. Thanks :)

Edited by sugarglide

Hey are you having any luck with the nizoral? My acne looks somewhat like yours. I feel your pain.

I hope everything is working out good!