Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andy :)

Only Washing With Water Regimen :)

Hey smile.png

After 5 years of a mixture of minimum/moderate and severe acne, i've decided to try cutting out all topical acne products for good. Today is the 23rd May 2012 and I started this regimen two days ago. I started getting quite moderate acne on my cheeks and forehead about 5 years ago which would sometimes develop into quite severe acne with a couple of massive spots, and as the years went by it went away, came back with a revenge, went away again and now just recently came back again. As my face was constantly sore, dry and tight I'm guessing this is down to the cheap acne treatment i've been buying over the years. I've tried Epiduo/Benzoyl Peroxide, Tea tree oil, baking soda, honey, tons of exfoliants and clensers and washing my face with cold water about 10 times a day. I decided to keep a day to day diary to monitor my progress.

The Regimen:

- Only washing with water in the morning, no rubbing or touching face in the shower, just letting the water run down my face.

- Drinking plenty of water throughout the day. I carry round a 500ml bottle of water around with me at all times and drink it all roughly 5-6 times a day (6 x 500 = 3 litres).

- Roughly every 3-5 days i'll use Cetaphil gentle face clenser just to help remove dead skin (only on day two so haven't done this yet).

- Take a general multivitamin just to help it internally.

- I have one day off a week from college so I don't wash at all on this day, i've read from other posts that this can help with the natural oils on your skin.

Day one.

Whiteheads! About 7-8 of them around my mouth and about 1-2 of them on my cheeks. Luckily i had a day off college so I could hide but it was still disheartening. I'm staying positive though.

Day two.

The Whiteheads were still there but something strange happened. While eating my dinner I wiped my mouth and one of the whiteheads just fell off, like you could see whitehead and the skin around it just fall to the floor. I'm not really sure why but i'm guessing with the build-up of oil its dislodging the top layer of skin and healing it underneath, this cheered me up a bit. I'm still getting whiteheads but i'm not getting the "area of red" around them so they're not sore at all and they just fall off at the end of the day. Getting some flaky skin on my chin as this was the area my acne affected the most recently.

Positives so far!

The skin around the rest of my body is looking much better, I used to suffer from quite bad circulation in my hands so they would always be discolored and blotchy but now they've evened up smile.png I'm feeling a lot more awake and i'm sleeping a lot better. My old sleep cycle used to be go to bed at 11-12pm and wake up at 12-1pm on a weekend. But now i've started going to bed at 10pm and waking up at 9am fully awake. I'm guessing this is the water i'm drinking fueling my brain and giving me a better perspective! And only on day two smile.png

Negatives so far!

Skin feels a little bit itchy and I keep picking at it which i must stop doing! Old spots seem to be coming back but i'm guessing that the water is flushing all the toxins out and its coming out on my face. Red marks are still there from old spots but I know these won't heal immediately and just over time smile.png

I remember doing a Psychology As level and we had to evaluate anti-depressant drugs, and the main accepted answer was that it treats the symptoms but not the underlying cause of the problem. I started doing this regimen because i asked myself "Is all this acne stuff i'm using actually curing the underlying problem or just treating it?"

Will post again tommorow

Andy x

Okay im on Day 4 now :) couldn't update this yesturday as I got a bit caught up in work.

Day 3:

Same old same old. Whiteheads going away but being replaced by other whiteheads, although they are starting to get less frequent and...well...big :P Noticing my skin tone is getting a bit more even as the red mark thats been on my left cheek is going a lighter red. Theres a patch of about 4 biggish whiteheads on my right cheek, haven't had whiteheads on this spot for a while so this could be my skin flushing out all the toxins :) Today the weather was hot, for Britain that is. Walking 3 miles in the sun from college really got me sweating, especially my forehead which was soaked.

Day 4: This is my day of no washing. Woke up this morning to see that the whiteheads are calming down a bit as I only broke out about 4-5 of them (compared to 10-12 a day :L). After yesturday i thought i would wake up to a face full of spots thanks to the sun and the sweating, but the oil content on my skin remained the same and i didn't break out with any furiously red pustules which i usaully do. Things are looking up :) I'm also starting a no masturbation rule starting from yesturday for personal reasons and due to several posts saying that this can help, i'm willing to try anything so whats the worse that can happen?

May post photos later on as I'm getting a haircut later, trying something new as I recently just got out of a loving relationship with my now ex girlfriend.

Andy x

UPDATE:

Had to take a shower today as I have an unexpected party :L Skin was quite sore in the shower today and skin felt a bit rough (although it doesn't look rough which is strange). Noticed a lot of redness near my chin and my jawline but hopefully this will fade overtime :)

I'd rather go a couple of months with the worst acne ever and then have it gone compared to having mild/moderate acne for the rest of my life :) At this moment in time cutting out skin clensers has benefited my skin and my wallet! Also feeling a lot more energetic (I walk 3 miles to college and 3 miles back 4 times a week so 6 x 4 = 24 miles.) and my sleep cycle is much better as i woke up at 9.30am fully awake!

Also will be washing with Cetaphil gentle skin clenser tommorow morning (using only the most miniscule amount) and I will let you know how it goes tommorow :)

Andy x

Day 5:

Bit worse today. Had a shave the night before and woke up with tons of red marks and bumps on my chin and lower cheeks. This could be because i used Cetaphil last night and it irritated it. Won't be doing that again! Skin is also very itchy and some of the bumps are quite painful. Hopefully these will calm down tommorow, but im drinking some extra water today to help it along.

Andy x

UPDATE:

Its 5pm and I just washed my hands and felt my face and it feels i lot smoother in certain areas (most just below my eyes and my sideburns) also some previous stubborn red marks on my left cheek have died down a bit. My chin is still quite bad but it has been worse before (used to have a horizontal cyst that split every time i smiled) and the red bits will hopefully fade down. Whiteheads are slowing down but I got 3 just above my lips and I've read that this happens because of dietry stuff so i might start looking into dairy free/sugar free diets :)

Andy xx

Day 6

Just woke up with considerably less whiteheads then before, only one stubborn one on my lip. But the raised marks from the old ones have gone done a bit. Red marks just above jawline but im not too bothered about them, I was always most concerned with red marks on my cheeks but they're getting less and less red every day. Skin tone is a lot more even then before (I test this by comparing the skin tone on my face with my hand, then my lower arm and then my upper arm, sounds a bit stupid but before i noticed my face was muuuuuch redder then my arm and my neck.) and skin feels a little bit less oily. What i'm most happy about is that the patch below my eyes and my side burns are completely smooth, I used to get tiny discoloured blotches under my eyes from lack of sleep and it constantly made me look really rough.

I'm not washing today as well (Woke up with alright hair so thats ok!) i'm actually quite interested to see how the rest of the skin on my body reacts to a day without washing as i used to get horrible back acne, used to get massive crusty spots that split in my sleep and bled so i had to change sheets like every night. Thats one of the main reasons I started this regimen because the acne on my back started going away about a year ago and the acne on my shoulders have gone down as well (they are slightly discoloured but everyone i know has this as well) but my face was still active with acne.

A good point i want to make is that everyone is complimenting on my hair! I always used to suffer from either really dry hair or really greasy sticky hair but i haven't had this problem all week.

I have a long day ahead of me doing work in the sun so I will update this tommorow morning :)

Andy x

UPDATE:

Just got some interesting information from my sister, she brought home some Camomile tea for me as she said it helped a lot with her moderate acne. She said to drink 2-3 cups of it a day with some honey or lemon juice and this helps with bateria, stress and is naturally calming so it helps with insomnia as well :) She told me she occasionaly soaks one of the tea bags and puts it on her face and this calms inflamed acne and her acne is looking so much better and she doesn't use over-the-counter products, so i'm gonna start drinking this along with lemon water. I have a cup of it right now and it tastes nice :) you can get a box of 40 tea bags very cheaply (cheaper then normal tea bags).

Hope this information helps anyone

Andy x

Day 7!

Woke up at 9am this morning on my day off! I think this regimen has benefited me in a couple of ways so i'm not gonna stop doing it. Here some good reasons for ya:

1. I feel a lot calmer, I'm on my final month of college and i should be completely stressed out but ive been sleeping fine and I feel...just nice :) Just an overall better frame of mind.

2. The texture of my clear skin is very smooth, much better then that smooth feeling you get from washing with clensers. And it is less irritated except for a full bad spots.

3. Breakouts are getting less frequent and severe, I don't really know how to describe it but the breakouts i'm getting are more...precise like instead of having whiteheads that spread out they are much more raised as if my skin is purging the toxins out :)

4. Problems i had involving bad circulation are gone, and the skin by my nails that always used to be rough are now all healed.

5. Really old red marks (from last year) are fading which is a pleasant surprise :) I used to get these two persistant spots riiiight on my cheekbones and now the red marks from them are gone.

I know not all those reasons are directly related to Acne, but they make me happy so I don't care :) This regimen is working a lot better then several other ones i've tried.

Things to change for next week:

Less dairy and sugar.

Drink Camomile tea in the morning and the evening and drink 1-2 bottles of lemon water a day (I've noticed the roof of my mouth getting sore so i'm gonna cut back on it slightly) but will still drink plain water.

More exercise (I walk roughly 30-35 miles a week but i want to start doing more muscle exercises cause i'm a bit scrawny :L)

Spend some time in the sun! Ill start sitting outside in 15 minute intervals because i heard you soak up a lot of vitamin D just by sitting outside for 15 minutes.

Maybe try two days no washing and see if that benefits me a bit better :)

Might have trouble updating this week cause i'll be working like mad for the rest of the week. Got a 35,000 portfolio to get started on!

Andy x

Andy, definitely hope you keep up with this log as i may be interested in trying it out in the summer when i am off from work! You should post some of your before pictures and continue to post so that we can see your progress teehee.gif

Good Luck!

Thanks :) Yeah i will post some photos up when i find a decent camera, using Youcam on my laptop is quite ineffective for looking at spots because its all grainy. In my personal experience, this regimen is working a lot more quickly and efficiently then any other one i've tried.

Andy x

Do you think that maybe some sort of scrub might be a better option than Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser? Cetaphil doesn't exfoliate your skin, so if you're only rinsing with water, you might accumulate quite a lot of dead skin that needs to be sloughed off.

I am going to start only using water tomorrow, but I intend to use Aveeno Brightening Scrub or whatever it's called periodically.

Do you think that maybe some sort of scrub might be a better option than Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser? Cetaphil doesn't exfoliate your skin, so if you're only rinsing with water, you might accumulate quite a lot of dead skin that needs to be sloughed off.

I am going to start only using water tomorrow, but I intend to use Aveeno Brightening Scrub or whatever it's called periodically.

Yeah i was thinking the same thing. I read some things about people using honey as an exfoliant but i'm not sure yet. I used to over-exfoliate so i'm not gonna worry about it for now :) If in the next couple of weeks i start breaking out worse then expected I'll look into getting a proper exfoliant :)

Andy x

Day 8!

Today was a lot better for me :) Now that i'm starting to drink more 'calming' tea like camomile and green tea i'm less stressed about my acne. Got a medium sized pustule on my left cheek this morning, but my sister recommends soaking a camomile tea bag and putting it on the spot for a couple of minutes. I will try this later on :)

My upper cheeks (just above my nose) are much smoother after having a breakout on them just a week ago, and my jawline is less sore and irritated with no new spots and the old ones are fading. There is still some redness around my face but I read that lemon water helps brighten your complexion so will have to let you know if its any better in the next couple of days :)

Feeling much more positive about this regimen now :)

Andy x

Day 9:

Woke up with some whiteheads on the side of my nose (haven't had that in a while) and the pustule on my cheek came to a head so i drained it with a sterile needle and put a camomile tea bag over it for a couple of minutes. The rest of my face is calming down and my complexion is starting to brighten up gradually. Skin is a bit flaky but i'm used to this so it should be ok. Compared to last weeks breakout this is a much bigger improvement.

I actually had some questions on sunscreen, the temperatures upping a bit in Devon, Britain. I've read mixed reviews on sunlight for acne (Some say it wreaks havoc on those with acne and I've heard from others that it is very benefiticial to acne). Im not sure what to do in terms of type of suncream and quantity. Will research this now :)

Andy x

UPDATE:

Checked my face this evening and i've got a little outbreak of about 6 whiteheads around my face :/ though its not consistent in specific areas and its more spread out so i'm hoping that its cleaning my pores out a bit. Although redness is fading so that's good. I put some honey on my face and had a bath this evening so that might help ease it a little bit :)

Having a cup of camomile tea and reading a book in the evening sun now :) Will update again tommorow evening.

Andy x

Day 10

Bad day today. Woke up with several new whiteheads and 2 "sore spots". Its wierd cause my left cheek is really clearing up but my right cheek is quite bumpy. Will drink some extra water and tea today to help it along.

Andy x

Day 11

Still breaking out a bit but spots are less severe, woke up with some wierd red bumps on my nose this morning that have gone down throughout the day. Left cheek is clearing up nicely but right cheek is still being stubborn. No new outbreaks on my chin as its now mostly situated around my cheeks. I found that my skin gradually gets worse during the day, but in the morning it always looks nice. Still in the early days of this regimen so i'm not losing heart to it yet, some say that drinking lots of water eventually kicks in with your skin after 2 weeks to a month. Skin on my face thats not affected by acne is brightening up and this is a pleasant change (mostly the skin around and just under my eyes, my temples and my forehead). Will hopefully start seeing some more good changes near the 2 week mark.

Andy x

HANG IN THERE! Keep up your posts please, i'm enjoying them :) My skin is in the purging stage right now too and some days are really good then one or 2 may make you feel down a bit but each day you wake up your one step closer to having clear skin :D

tink, how long have you been doing the water only method?

i'm on my 6th day and having a meltdown! but i know it's way too early to do this. my skin is definitely purging. but they're very small pimples, like needle sized, so i have to be thankful they're not like they were before! is your skin itchy at all?

Day 12:

Checked my skin this morning and was pleasantly surprised :) Couple of minor whiteheads but they're easy to deal with, redness from recent outbreaks are going down. I'm not washing until later on this evening when i got a party to go to :) Skin is still oily and shiney but i'm not really bothered about that, as long as its progressing then i'm happy :) I've also got a date later so i'm quite pleased :) Its wierd i always felt unattractive with my acne but 2 of my closest friends have quite bad acne and they've each had several girlfriends over the years, gives me hope :)

Will update this again tommorow :)

Andy x

Day 13,14,15

Haven't had a chance to update this sorry :(

Things are staying relatively the same, recently got some whiteheads just above the right side of my lip :( As ive said in a post above the left side of my face is healing up nicely whereas the right side is still suffering. I have no idea what would cause this. Though i did eat 3 chocolate cookies today so maybe that contributed to it a bit. I haven't been eating as well recently, I always have a habit of skipping breakfast or lunch :/ Ive never really heard anything about lack of diet contributing to acne but if anyone has heard anything about this let me know? :) I haven't shaved in about a week and don't really plan to in a while, i read that your skin produces extra oil in order to moisterise the hair on your face as well but i haven't heard any actual proof of this.

Will update again soon x

I tried this water only regimen for little over three weeks and now I have acne all over my face, just everywhere! Before this experiment I had about one pimple once a week. One of the worst mistakes I have ever done.

I've been doing water only probably for a month or more now. Sometimes I wake up with whiteheads, sometimes I don't. I've stopped using deodorant and noticed that when I eat something which causes me to smell, I also get whiteheads. I therefore know that it's my diet causing my problems more than anything, so I'm making fruit my core and trying not to stray to far from my idea of "what my ancestors would have eaten." I still have a bit of redness from recent outbreaks but I think if I maintain this course it will work for me. Basic point of this post is to observe that if you are still experiencing whiteheads, it might indicate your diet is responsible.