Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
candlestick

Six Weeks No Dairy

I am now six weeks into no dairy, and I have about 75% clearing of my skin.

This started when I began finding both anedcotal and some scientific evidence about the connection between dairy and acne. All my life I have LOVED dairy, cheese, butter, milk, all of it. In one day, I have typically drank at least two cups of milk. I figured I was probably a poster child for dairy=acne.

I have aged out of facial acne (for the most part), but have been left with quite bad body acne. It has driven me crazy, I have tried so many things, they all work to a moderate extent, but I have not been in a swimsuit or worn a cute summer dress since that time I was on accutane, many years ago.

At the beginning of this experiment I had over 100 active and healing spots on my back (some smaller pimples, some cysts), I am now down to about 25, and my new breakouts have slowed down considerably. Up until this point my diet has been really good, my dairy was high-quality organic, and lots of fruit, vegetables, and so on.

The only acne treatment during this time was some spot treatments of bp, no soap or cleansers.

It is hard to be totally dairy-free, I had to go home for a funeral last month and ended up eating some dairy, it is hard to avoid entirely, but I figure throughout this experiment I have reduced dairy by at least 95%.

My goal is to do this for 3 months, and see where I am at then. So far so good! I am actually cautiously optimistic that this might really be helping. The worst sacrifice of dairy has been in coffee, it just does not taste good with any of the alternatives (soy, coconut milk) I have tried.

Interestingly, I have a niece and nephew who are now well into the teen years, and they have surprisingly clear skin, we were all expecting, since acne runs in my family, that they would have a dark future ahead of them, like we did. But guess what, they hate milk! My sister tries to get them to drink it, but they won't.

Edited by candlestick

It's good to hear you've figured out how to clear most of your acne!

I'd like to give you a tip with how to help you resist dairy cravings. The secret is protein powder! Get on a protein powder (the best one you can be on is whey protein) and you will see that cravings for your dairy will go away. It will also stop sugar cravings too!

I'd also recommend to get on a good EFA supplement to help resist any fat cravings; not to mention that our body needs the good fats if you aren't taking any!

I have a few more tips on my post if you're interested.

Best of luck to you!

Do NOT, repeat do NOT use protein powder derived from dairy.

Check the labels very carefully.

Even some 'soy' products contain casein and/or whey.

Protein from pea, hemp, egg, meat, fish, fowl and soy is OK - go for it.

Why?

Casein elevates Insulin-like growth factor 1

Whey elevates insulin levels directly.

Both open the male hormone receptor to make acne worse.

Interesting science behind it, thanks! I am not using protein powder, never been much of a fan and especially now with my no-dairy diet. Still am looking for a good tasting milk substitute, though!

My diet has lots of protein, even though I don't eat mammals (still eat fish and seafood and plenty of high-protein beans and vegetables).

Oh, one very decent butter substitute is coconut oil (which is more of a soft solid form you can spread), I use it in place of butter everywhere, and for this really picky eater, tastes just as good as butter.

For me It is 3 days into not using dairy and I am already seeing good results!

The worst sacrifice of dairy has been in coffee, it just does not taste good with any of the alternatives (soy, coconut milk) I have tried.

BTW about that milk with coffee - try almond milk! Just soak almonds in water overnight and then grind them in a blender and then rack them (if that is the correct word for that) - you will have a very delicious and most important healthy (with vit E) milkto have with coffee.

For me It is 3 days into not using dairy and I am already seeing good results!

The worst sacrifice of dairy has been in coffee, it just does not taste good with any of the alternatives (soy, coconut milk) I have tried.

BTW about that milk with coffee - try almond milk! Just soak almonds in water overnight and then grind them in a blender and then rack them (if that is the correct word for that) - you will have a very delicious and most important healthy (with vit E) milkto have with coffee.

Thanks, Borkoff, I am going to try that!

I am now two months into no-dairy, I am still not clear, and a little discouraged, but I want to stick it out for at least three months. I know from experience that it takes quite a long time for hormones in the body to balance out, if that is what is happening, and also for skin on the back to heal and clear. I am still seeing a lot of clogged pores there that are coming to the surface. A dermatologist once told me that skin on the back takes a very long time to heal, as compared to the face.

The good news is that I have lost some weight (no cheese will do that). I also had this persistent white coating on my tongue for all of my adult life, which gave me bad breath. A few days into the no dairy, I noticed that the texture on my tongue seemed different, and sure enough, most of the coating had disappeared and it has stayed that way ever since.

Other good news is how I learned that it really is not that hard to break habits of a lifetime. I can go without dairy without melting into a puddle. And now, on the very few times when I have indulged in some milk in my coffee, or a spoon of ice cream, wow, I mean, it was so fantastic it was hard to describe. Like tasting something for the very first time.

did you have a problem with a very oily skin?

I wonder if quitting dairy would do me any good since my skin is so oily it literally drips with oil:)