Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi all, this is a question for those of you who are currently or in the past, have been on retin a/tretinoin/atralin.

When is it realistically time to call it quits?

I am 13 weeks in and have several inflamed pimples on my chin/mouth area -these are painful, red, unattractive and they make me feel uncomfortable. I am also once again breaking out on my lower cheeks and strangely enough, by my nose area (it is red and seems irritated).

I was out in the sun this weekend with sunscreen and i do think that has contributed to the redness.

Do you think i should call it quits and return to my derm or give it a longer period of time. I know most people begin to see improvement by 12 weeks and thus far the only improvement has been forehead. Breakouts seem to be happening more quickly and frequently versus slowing down and it is more inflammatory than what i am used to.

Any help would be appreciated

Mine has gotten less inflammatory. Looking at your regimen, you have Aczone, which is an anti-infective, but not just a plain old antibacterial. My derm told me to continue using BPO 2.5% in the morning and Tazorac at night. Clindamycin is also commonly prescribed and will kill inflamed acne for a few months before the bacteria adjust to it.

Mine has gotten less inflammatory. Looking at your regimen, you have Aczone, which is an anti-infective, but not just a plain old antibacterial. My derm told me to continue using BPO 2.5% in the morning and Tazorac at night. Clindamycin is also commonly prescribed and will kill inflamed acne for a few months before the bacteria adjust to it.

Thanks for the response. I have been prescribed Acanya to replace the Aczone and told to continue with the Atralin. We'll see how it all works out.

Thanks for the response. I have been prescribed Acanya to replace the Aczone and told to continue with the Atralin. We'll see how it all works out.

Funny, but my derm gave me Aczone. I am using that at night with the Tazorac and continuing with the BPO 2.5% in the morning. Skin looks good.