Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello, I'm looking for a cleanser with no chemicals/irritating ingredients. I've tried a bunch of drugstore cleansers, including Cetaphil which a lot of people recommend, but I did not like it at all. I felt it wasn't cleaning my face at all and within the same day or the next I noticed a bunch of red bumps all over my face, so I never used it again.

My acne is moderate I think?...I don't have cystic acne, just normal pimples which can be painful and really red. Also my skin is really oily but dry at the same time...so maybe it's really oily cause it's too dry. I do not use any moisturizer because I'm scared it will make me break out. I know that's bad but I don't want to take the risk. I also do not use any toners...I've used witch hazel and a toner from Clean & Clear...both were bad for my skin. I have a lot of blackheads on my nose which never seem to go away. The pores on my cheeks are really enlarged and I have a few small dented scars & a lot of red marks from previous breakouts...I seem to be more prone to them now, even if I don't pick at the pimple at all, when the pimple dries up and the dry skin on it flakes off, it often leaves a small dent, which is super annoying cause I don't pick to avoid any scarring but I still seem to get them. It's like my skin is not healing properly anymore. sad.png

Currently what I use to wash my face is some "natural" soap which my mom had bought for me months ago...it doesn't make my acne worse but it's not doing anything to make my skin better.

Anyway hope someone can help & give me some suggestions, thanks.

Ah, just in case, I'm 23.

Edited by Chiori

I'm sorry to hear that.. acne is such a pain. I've had mine since I was 12 and I'm 20.

I don't know if you've looked into this before but have you considered that your water at home may be too hard? Try some distilled water, I've heard washing your face with clean water like that can do a great deal. I just moved out of my crappy first apartment and the water at my new house has made all the difference. Not perfection but honestly soo much clearer. Your environment has a lot to do with your skin.

Also, don't forget about what you eat, if you smoke, if you drink alcohol, all these things affect your skin. It's all the bad stuff coming out of your skin. So give your body only good stuff and none of that bad stuff will be coming out. :)

Moisturizer won't make you break out, just apply it in a very small amount. Most people have oily parts and dry parts of their skin. It seems like you're going crazy with the cleansers, which is bad. You don't want to over dry your skin because that will just cause more irritation and probably more pimples. Just relax, and look into finding a dermatologist. I used to pop pimples and pick at them, and i had PIH scarring for years, it's not worth it, even if they eventually do go away.

I'm sorry to hear that.. acne is such a pain. I've had mine since I was 12 and I'm 20.

I don't know if you've looked into this before but have you considered that your water at home may be too hard? Try some distilled water, I've heard washing your face with clean water like that can do a great deal. I just moved out of my crappy first apartment and the water at my new house has made all the difference. Not perfection but honestly soo much clearer. Your environment has a lot to do with your skin.

Also, don't forget about what you eat, if you smoke, if you drink alcohol, all these things affect your skin. It's all the bad stuff coming out of your skin. So give your body only good stuff and none of that bad stuff will be coming out. smile.png

Well I don't think the water at my home is too hard. But when I travel and I stay at hotels, my skin starts getting really bad. So, I think the water at hotels is quite harsh and drying for the skin. How do you even get distilled water though?...is it the filtered water you use to drink?

Anyway, I admit my diet is not good at all. I barely drink water, I never eat vegetables or fruits...and I drink a lot of soda (I'm improving on this). But well, it's not easy to fix those bad eating habits. I don't smoke or drink though.

Moisturizer won't make you break out, just apply it in a very small amount. Most people have oily parts and dry parts of their skin. It seems like you're going crazy with the cleansers, which is bad. You don't want to over dry your skin because that will just cause more irritation and probably more pimples. Just relax, and look into finding a dermatologist. I used to pop pimples and pick at them, and i had PIH scarring for years, it's not worth it, even if they eventually do go away.

They can make me breakout if my skin is allergic to one of the ingredients or if the moisturizer clogs my pores, so I can't just use anything as my moisturizer. I'm not sure yet about going to a Dermatologist cause I'd like to treat my acne as gentle as possible and most likely whatever the Dermatologist recommends me will be something that will dry out my skin and possibly make it a lot worse before it gets better.

I personally use Mario Badescu's products and I love them. They are gentle yet effective and they don't contain Benzol Peroxide or Salicyclic acid. They customize a regimen for everyone based on your type of skin. They are pretty pricey but last forever and I definitely think they are worth them money. Check out their website!

I have very sensitive skin- anything that isn't totally fragrance-free makes me itchy and red (a lot of products give me contact dermatitis). I hate Cetaphil products- they're either drying or too greasy.

I really like CeraVe products, though. You can find them at the drugstore, and they're a little more expensive than Cetaphil, but I think they're worth it. I have a bad track record with moisturizers making me break out and flush, too, but I like their hydrating lotion a lot.

I don't really know what you mean when you say "without chemicals," though. "All-natural" products can be equally if not more irritating to the skin than a lot of drugstore products. If you mean "harsh surfactants," or "added acne-fighting ingredients" then that's another story... BHA/AHA cleansers and surfactants (SLS, SLES) can irritate the skin of us more sensitive folk sometimes- I avoid them at all costs.

Good luck!proud.gif

I'm a big fan of Banish by Flawless Skin Couture, it comes in bar and cream form. The bars last 1-2 months and costs 5-6$ a piece, only problem is you'll need to order it online if you want it.

Ingredients: Olive Oil Soap; Shea Butter soap; Goats milk soap; cucomber-avocado soap; oatmeal; L-carnitine; Pantothenic Acid; Pomegranate oil; Raspberry Ketones; Green Tea Extract; Apple Polyphenols; Alpha Lipoic acid; Witch hazel; and Peppermint extract.

Been using it for over half a year and loving it, it does about 80-90% of clearing my skin up. The rest is up to tea tree oil and a steam room (also recently added tanning, almost no zits popping up for over a month now).