Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mufasalatte

More And More Acne Coming...

Hello everybody,

So, for a large portion of my life, I have used a variety of acne products for my skin. I'm 21 now and started probably around 14. So, yes, lots of time. I've never had extremely severe acne, but it's always been in the mild to moderate range. About a month ago, though, I decided I wanted to try to change products to something completely different: my own. For about a month I've been using sweet almond oil infused with calendula, chamomile, lavender, and rose. I also have ground-up oatmeal and poppy seeds to act as an exfoliant. After I wash my face with that--once a day--I use an apple cider vinegar and water toner (I added a few drops of essential oils to it as well). If I feel something coming up, I usually put some lavender essential oil on it, too. For the first week, my skin was looking wonderful. However, the next couple weeks I noticed it started to really go downhill, especially now. I have acne where I never usually get it (forehead, and lots more in mouth and chin area), and it's pretty widespread. I used to get whiteheads a lot in my life, but these either aren't whiteheads or are taking a longer time to develop. I'm started to get hyper-self-conscious again about it, and I thought this terrible point in my life had passed, but it's resurfacing. I'm tempted to go back to the old products, but I feel like my skin is just detoxing right now, and I don't want to become dependent again on all those chemicals for my skin.

What do you think? Do you think my skin is just releasing all those toxins that have been stuck for oh so long, or do you think the product I'm using is actually not the best for me? I like using natural products, especially ones that I've made myself, but I just don't feel like it's working right now.

Thanks a lot :)

Erik

Hey, welcome to the board!

It's really different for each person and you may be detoxing or your acne may be getting worse. It's good you're experimenting with more natural approaches, but just be very careful.

I experimented with oil cleansing earlier this year and it gave me the worst breakout of my life. My experience was kinda like yours. 1 week in, everything was going great, then all of a sudden my face just got worse and worse. I had breakouts in places I never had them before, very huge severe cysts on my cheeks and neck, waking up to new whiteheads everyday, etc. I waited about 2 months but the breakouts just intensified without any sign of getting better.

I'm not trying to scare you but just be careful and know when something is clearly causing more problems than solutions. You are the best judge of how your skin's reacting. Since that terrible breakout I went back to traditional cleansing and moisturizing products and my skin went back to normal after several weeks.

Since you're experimenting with several oils at the moment, you might wanna check this out for other opinions, good luck!

http://www.acne.org/oil-cleansing-method-ocm-reviews/976/page1.html