Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JeffCash

Accutane! A Godsend Or Curse?

Hey guys, I'll be religiously updating this log every single day and include pictures when I notice any noticable chance in my acnd. The logs I'll be posting here will be copy/paste of my blog. I know my acne is moderate for the most part, but my skin decided to play nice and start me off on Accutane with a head start. I have tried Retin-A, Tazorak, Doryx, Differin, Epiduo, and quite a few others. I am FED up, so here's to a more (hopefully) permanent solution. For how cheap this medicine is, I believe it to be a better solution than to dish out dollar bills after dollar bills for prescription medications that only offer temporary fixes. As soon as you're off of them BOOM, acne is back.

accutanechallenge.tumblr.com

But I will frequently be replying to everyone's comments as they come in. smile.png

I just popped in my first two pills in the midst of supper. I already have a huge headache, diarrhea, and my skin is breaking apart. Hah, just kidding I feel fine.

I have begun to realize this blog will become a personal journal for myself. I get to log how I feel and how my acne is as my treatment progresses.

Right before I took the pills, I looked at the boxing again. Warnings, warnings, and of course, even more warnings. Suicide, mental decline, bowel disease… this medicine is not joking around. I felt a little scared, I’m not going to lie… but I went ahead and took the plunge. These next 5 or so months are going to be interesting ones. Wish me the best of luck and thanks for reading again. smile.png

For convienence, I will not be uploading pictures directly here but will ask everyone to just refer to my blog. No need to follow, just reference. smile.png

SPECS:

60mg a day (20mg in the morning, 40 at night)

150 lb

Male, 19

Acne: Moderate, but with scaring up and down my back.

A little more about me...

I dare to say I started Accutane at the best possible time. I just came back from my freshman year of college, so I will complete 3 full months of Accutane before I head back. So, only two months of Accutane while I'm at school. I go to school in sunny Wilmington, North Carolina at UNCW... a beach school. When I look around, I see beautiful people with beautiful skin. Being at the beach will NOT make you feel any better about your bacne either. Everyone can have their shirt off here and look like Gods and godesses. Bleh.

Edited by JeffCash

Good luck, Jeff! I liked your joke about the instant side effects. Haha I find making jokes keeps me sane and the low-level paranoia to a minimum. I started on Claravis 40 mg yesterday and have already been staring at my face in the mirror looking for dryness, redness, peeling! Truthfully, my lips are a bit more dry on the second day, but other than that....nada.

Let's blow this acne out of the water! Feel free to follow my log, too! :)

p.s. your acne isn't that bad from the photos, but I understand about scarring and PIH. Blargh.

Thanks! smile.png

Ironically, the past few days before Accutane were dry spells as far as acne goes, no new big bumps. The real problem for me is body acne, maybe I'll work up the courage to post photos of my back.. but it is horrible!

----------------------------

Accutane: Numbero Dos

Hello and welcome all to my second day of Accutane! I’ve felt no side effects thus far (that I’ve noticed). But, DUH, it’s day two. To be honest, I’m not expecting anything until around day 6 as far as dryness goes. Results? Eh… maybe around the month 3 or 4 mark… possibly month 2.

I went to bed last night and woke up from the most vivid dream of my life around 5. The dream was fantastic! It involved a gigantic water slide stories and stories tall. When I woke up, I felt strange as well. Not a *bad* strange but more of a good one, like I was invigorated. I doubt it has anything to do with the Accutane, but I couldn’t complain about the sense of euphoria I shortly experienced before I fell back asleep moments later.

I took my pill this morning with a breakfast of blueberry waffles and a glass of milk. You're supposed to take the pill with a meal of considerable fat... I hope this constitutes, haha.

Fun Fact: Claravis would have been a few dollars short of $800! What did I pay? $10! Hoorah!

I'll keep everyone posted!

Edited by JeffCash

You're probably going to feel the effects much sooner, if not today with the lip dryness.

As a regard to the side effects, do yourself a favor and never read about another side effect ever again. You will start to believe you have all of them. No joke.

Good luck.

Thanks! And I've noticed that too. The more I read up on others' journeys, the more it seems the number one symptome of Accutane treatment is a false sense of paranoia in the patient. I mentioned it once in my blog, Accutane will not be to blame for every bodily inconvenience I'll have. I'll still log any abnormal things, even if I still believe Accutane plays a small role in them.

EDIT: Hey everyone, my latest blog post includes a picture of my back as well, albeit a low quality one. Comments? Thanks!

Edited by JeffCash

Posted · Hidden by AKL, May 19, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by AKL, May 19, 2012 - No reason given

I was on accutane for 6mths and was always worrying about long term effects. So during the process I made sure I was eating fairly good and making sure I was having regular bowel movements. Some good supplements to take while on accutane would be benefiber, aloevera and probiotics. This will make sure your digestive system is working properly. As for your liver I would just stay away from alcohol all together whether your dose is low or not. Based on your individual makeup is going to determine your side effects or possible long term effects. With anything your just taking a chance. Post accutane I wanted to do a cleanse my family had really great results from a cleanse by advocare and i did it as well. it cleans your colon, liver, digestive system and kidneys. It was awesome. And I decided to become a distributor. For any questions I could answer them. You can look me up at AdvoCare-Washington on fb. You can contact me about accutane to! I had no problems and it was awesome, beside the dry lips and lethargy!

Accutane: Day 3

Ever since the night of Day 2, my throat was a little hoarse. I woke up this morning and the side of my face was a little itchy, but not bad at all… also had a very minor headache. I can tell I was getting a little dehydrated. No outward signs of Accutane yet, my lips look and feel fine! In other news, I have no new active pimples on my face since taking Accutane, only recovering ones. Ah yes, the quiet before the storm. I know that initial breakout is hiding somewhere, just come out already and get over with it! :)

Today I realized that the last two months of Accutane will probably be my worst. Why? School. At home here, I have pure water to wash with, thanks to our well. At school however, the shower in my apartment is so chemically treated that I was getting cracked skin that would develop into open sores and be infected with acne. It SUCKED. I would wake up in the middle of the night in itching fits and I would scratch my face into oblivion. I woke up and my pillow would be covered in blood spots. :(

I know stress probably has a lot to do with that, and the doctor mentioned that it sounded like a yeast infection over my face, which was intensified by the oils. So, maybe… just maybe Accutane will even help me there by slowing down oil production. One can really only hope. I seem to be the only person in my entire school who can’t stand to be under that water.

Thanks everyone. Comments are greatly appreciated.

Actually, I take that back. I got a few new bumps underneath my jaw... they don't have heads and are painless, but they may go down or progress into cysts. Time will tell. I got a haircut today too! :)

The small, invisible bumps on my chin are growing in numbers and visibility. I can still only see them when I pull my skin back, but they are there. It looks like a start to an IB. Yikes.

Accutane: Day 4

That small headache I had yesterday morning got increasingly worse throughout the day; however, this morning it felt much more tamed (but still there.)

My skin is starting to feel a little differently. I got out of the shower this morning to my face feeling… “tingly”. It also has a slight burning sensation to it for about 15-20 minutes thereafter. Not a “OMG IT HURTS” burn, but just a slight one. It feels kind of good in a sense, it’s warming :).

No new bumps on my face to report. My body acne has gotten a tad worse the past couple of days, but my face has yet to protest.

Anyone there? Nobody likes my log haha, all the love to the other ones. D:

Accutane: Day 5

I woke up this morning and my headaches were completely gone! :)

My face is definitely beginning to feel the burn, I woke up around 4am and scratched two spots raw near by chin/jaw. It’s not too bad and I believe a lot of it had to do with my washing my face in haste last night in the sink, instead of a full shower. This morning after I got up and bathed, I put on CeraVe lotion early to try and offset any chance of over drying. My lips have yet to feel dry at all… but I’ve constantly been putting on Aquaphor even when not having dry lips.

Acne… nothing outside my usual realm of breaking out. I got one smaller zit by my eye and my jawline feels like it’s growing a few (although I can’t be completely sure, right now they’re just small colorless raises on my skin.)

So nothing drastic has happened yet. Skin beginning to dry and flake, lips the same, headaches gone, and acne is playing it cool so far.

Accutane: Day 6

Hey guys.

Being on Accutane, I’ve come to realize you almost always wake up to a surprise on your face. Thankfully, today was not a bad one either.

It looks like I’m sunburnt… :/. My skin has graduated from flaking, and is now peeling instead… which, it doesn’t really bother me to be honest. I’ll get in the shower and just gently rub my face in a scrubbing motion with my hand and it peels all the dead skin off. I have to repeat this process every morning and night, but it relieves the itching and helps me to not look like a mummy.

Again - No new bumps on my face. I’ve gotten one or two small ones, but I pop them and don’t hear anything from them a few minutes later… so no worries. Back and chest are doing fine, no real signs of noticeable improvement.

You're probably going to feel the effects much sooner, if not today with the lip dryness.

As a regard to the side effects, do yourself a favor and never read about another side effect ever again. You will start to believe you have all of them. No joke.

Good luck.

Reading about all the side effects made me teeter totter for a whole year before I made the decision. That and my derm was just as paranoid as I was. I am 1 month in and thank God, I have no side effects. Many people I know in real life have gone on the drug. It is commonly taken, so don't worry, there are millions of people who have gone on tane, gotten their desired results, and never looked back.

Good luck Jeff :)

Edited by droidone

Thank you! :D

Accutane: Day 7

Shit. I look BAD. I woke up a few times throughout the night to scratch this one part of my neck right below my jawline. I woke up and it’s red, swollen, and lumpy looking. :/

I got a large bump on my cheek I got rid of this morning, hoping it doesn’t return. Besides that, my face is really flaky and red.

It’s day seven. That means I have completed week one. That means that I am 1/20 done with Accutane, and that’s worth celebrating! :D Just hoping this itchiness and flakiness will get better in time!!

Accutane: Day 8

Already finished by second box of pills, wow.

Today my face looked really clear, and the big bump on the side of my face is deflated and painless now. It’s still a darkened mark, but it’s going away quickly.

My face doesn’t look as flaky, but I can tell it’s drying out even more. My entire face feels tight and dry. Making a lot of facial expression pulls and kinda tingles.

Acne looks like it’s actually improving… knock on wood. Not much else to report. Not feeling any aches or pain. Only two symptoms I seem to have is dry skin and dry lips. I’ve religiously put on Aquaphor since starting treatment, so my lips haven’t been really chapped once, but I can definitely feel them drying away nicely.

Accutane: Day 14

Hey guys, I decided to update my blog a little more infrequently so that I can provide more interesting posts haha.

I called it folks. The good first week of Accutane is long gone. Side effects in full swing, my face and body are taking a tole. My face is covered with dry patches around my jawline that extend down the sides of my neck and one side of my face broke out in the middle. -sigh- I wouldn’t consider this an initial breakout though. My face isn’t covered with acne and it’s been a lot worse before, so I’ll just consider this a regular breakout.

Hopefully I’m not seeing things, but my back seems to be clearing up. Down the middle especially. The sides are still full of blackheads and a few cysts, but I’m hoping to see it clear up even more.

Thanks for reading folks :). Also question: Does the flakiness, and dry spots on the face/neck get better later in treatment?