Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is it possible that this forum is making us think more about acne and become more self conscious ??? Or does it help?

Thoughts???

I haven't been going to this forum lately 'cause I bought Diablo 3 which keeps me busy. I am clearing up slowly. I never think of acne while playing.

I don't like PVP 'cause I do get mad sometimes which I notice break out . So I just relax and play :)

Edited by EddieE

I haven't been going to this forum lately 'cause I bought Diablo 3 which keeps me busy. I am clearing up slowly. I never think of acne while playing.

I don't like PVP 'cause I do get mad sometimes which I notice break out . So I just relax and play :)

Ya ...it must be nice to be clearing up : /......I have an Xbox...but I have had to much homework to play it latley

I definitely think these forums can make you think / obsess about your acne more but it is also good that they are here because it's great to have a place to let your thoughts out or ask for help or to be able to help others who are going through the same things you are.

I think it's important to just think about what you're about to type before you post it though. If the only things someone has to say about someone else or even themselves is negative, posting it on forums isn't going to help. If anything it will just make their thoughts more 'caught' in this negative thinking pattern - and definitely make them more self-conscious etc. Maybe in those cases people should think about talking to someone or getting help face to face.

But yeah - finding a way to distract yourself from thinking about acne or at least to have a little more time off the forums would definitely be helpful I think but this place is also a really great place to share thoughts/advice etc.

This place made me realize I'm not alone and I'm not the only person with all these thoughts in my head about acne and shit. If anything it helps releive peoples problems that otherwise would remain locked up deep inside themselves which would be like a ticking time bomb ready to explode, thats what I was.I was about to lose my fuckin mind until I decided look for some sort of help and suggestions. Will I ever get my sanity back probly not but this place has givin me some sort of hope if anything.

It depends on why you're using it. It helped me a great deal when I was trying to work some stuff out and it made see how much work I had to do that wasn't actually about clearing my skin. Sure enough, having cleared my acne for the most part, all that emotional and psychological stuff is still there and confidence and self esteem are still massive issues. That hasn't changed at all. I think without being here and without having any kind of inclination that that would be the case, I would have totally flipped out. As it was, I had some idea and my resulting reaction wasn't so bad.

My decreased posting in this forum coincides with generally posting less right across the board and part of that is to do with being a moderator because sometimes when I'm here I'm doing other stuff instead. But with regards to this section of the boards generally, I certainly do think that by their very nature a lot of threads have negative connotations to them. I felt like I was reaching a point where I gone through all my own personal negativity and I'd talked everything out. Then I actually had to start taking action otherwise I'd just be talking forever and not actually changing anything. That's another reason why I took a little step back.

My approach to posting has changed in that I feel like I'm coming out of the other side of my battle and can perhaps help those who are still working through theirs. It doesn't mean my problems are all sorted and I may well need a shoulder now and then, but it's nice to be able to offer assurance and a bit of a success story instead of being all negative and down about things for the sake of it, which is where I was at this time last year, for example. As the saying goes, misery loves company so I do think it's important that, rather than always jumping on that proverbial bandwagon to the pity party, we focus on the positives rather than bring ourselves down.

:)