Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SavedByGrace1

Will 5 Months Suffice?

Hello there!

I am on my 5th month of accutane. I was doing 80mg/day for the first 3 months and the last 2 months I was on 60mg/day. I weigh 120 lbs and am 5'7".

My derm let me lower my dosage because I was getting really sore in my joints and whatnot.

Anyways, he is very particular about 6 months and 180 days being on the medication (my first round I did 60mg/day for 6 months).

For some reason, just as of last week, I have noticed a lot of hair shedding. This wasn't an issue over the last 4 months. Also, I should mention I don't have to do much for it to shed more than normal. I just worry, as my hair is already thin to begin with. Is it normal to start experiencing this in the 5th month? Also note that there is no white bulb on the ends of the hair coming out of my head...meaning the roots aren't there. So it's just literally breaking or whatever.

Anyways, I know that my derm will insist that I proceed with the final month...but I've been clear since month 2. I am still sore, I am wayyyy over my cumulative dose, and this is my second time.

I think its just the derm's preference, as I've seen many other people that say that their derm only has them on 5 month courses from the get go.

If he insists I do 6 months, could I just not do it?

Thanks to everyone that has helped me on my second accutane journey.

Guest *Spiro*

Hello there!

I am on my 5th month of accutane. I was doing 80mg/day for the first 3 months and the last 2 months I was on 60mg/day. I weigh 120 lbs and am 5'7".

My derm let me lower my dosage because I was getting really sore in my joints and whatnot.

Anyways, he is very particular about 6 months and 180 days being on the medication (my first round I did 60mg/day for 6 months).

For some reason, just as of last week, I have noticed a lot of hair shedding. This wasn't an issue over the last 4 months. Also, I should mention I don't have to do much for it to shed more than normal. I just worry, as my hair is already thin to begin with. Is it normal to start experiencing this in the 5th month? Also note that there is no white bulb on the ends of the hair coming out of my head...meaning the roots aren't there. So it's just literally breaking or whatever.

Anyways, I know that my derm will insist that I proceed with the final month...but I've been clear since month 2. I am still sore, I am wayyyy over my cumulative dose, and this is my second time.

I think its just the derm's preference, as I've seen many other people that say that their derm only has them on 5 month courses from the get go.

You could try taking Biotin to improve your hairs condition. Also I am not sure how often you are washing your hair or anything but the less you wash it the better. I think you should do whatever you are comfortable with. If you feel like you should go off the medication that what you should do. If you think you can tough it out I would do that, you've come so far. Congratulations on being clear and I wish you the best of luck. I know I would be freaking out if my hair was falling out or breaking off. So I understand why you are worried. My doctor said that losing hair isn't common, I sure come across it a lot on here though. I am thinking it is more common than she thinks it is.

Hello there!

You could try taking Biotin to improve your hairs condition. Also I am not sure how often you are washing your hair or anything but the less you wash it the better. I think you should do whatever you are comfortable with. If you feel like you should go off the medication that what you should do. If you think you can tough it out I would do that, you've come so far. Congratulations on being clear and I wish you the best of luck. I know I would be freaking out if my hair was falling out or breaking off. So I understand why you are worried. My doctor said that losing hair isn't common, I sure come across it a lot on here though. I am thinking it is more common than she thinks it is.

Thanks! I'm going to ask my Dr. for the honest truth about whether or not 1 more month would be beneficial for me. Or perhaps even half a month I'd be willing to do. I hjust hope everything goes back to normal. This course was much harder than my first one. Most likely due to it being winter.

Do you only have to do 3 months, or are you just adding as you go in your signature?

Guest *Spiro*

Thanks! I'm going to ask my Dr. for the honest truth about whether or not 1 more month would be beneficial for me. Or perhaps even half a month I'd be willing to do. I hjust hope everything goes back to normal. This course was much harder than my first one. Most likely due to it being winter.

Do you only have to do 3 months, or are you just adding as you go in your signature?

I am just adding as I go to my signature. I will probably have to do 6 months. I was hoping for 5 months but since my dose just got increased to 60 MG this week I think I will have to do 6.

I agree I think the best thing to do is just call up your dermatologist and see if it's beneficial to you or not. You have probably hit your culmaltive dose by this point since you have been on 80 MG the whole time.

Hello there!

Wow. You're right, you are WAY over your cumulative dose. I've actually never heard of somebody who weighs 120 lbs do 80 mg, let alone 60mg. The hair shedding is probably just you body getting very very dry because of the overload. But if it makes you feel any better my hair was shedding the first month, it stopped, and then again the fourth month so it can definitely be like that. From what it sounds like though you really do not need a 6th month at ALL. Your derm sounds a little reckless to put you on that much for that long.

Hello there!

Wow. You're right, you are WAY over your cumulative dose. I've actually never heard of somebody who weighs 120 lbs do 80 mg, let alone 60mg. The hair shedding is probably just you body getting very very dry because of the overload. But if it makes you feel any better my hair was shedding the first month, it stopped, and then again the fourth month so it can definitely be like that. From what it sounds like though you really do not need a 6th month at ALL. Your derm sounds a little reckless to put you on that much for that long.

I agree...I actually thought he was going to just do 4 months, but to my surprise he said 6. I think it's just his standard procedure to do 6 months. He said at my next appointment (Tuesday)...we will pick a stop date...I might say "how about today"

I've this really annoying dry patch of skin that wont' quit. It's been around for a few months, and I, of course, picked at it, and now its just a permanent fixture.

Anyone know of a good way to get rid of this?

thanks!

Yeah whatever your body's feeling is the best to go with. If I were in your situation though I would probably do the 5th month to ensure permanent clearing, but on the other hand I couldn't really say for sure because I can't see your skin.

I'm doing 80mg a day for my last two/three months and I've seen other people the same weigh as myself and the OP do the same so I don't see how it is bad. Doing it for too long might though but I plan on going as long as my Dermatologist allows me. Originally my Dermatologist told me 5 months but she's going to allow me to do 6 if I want.

If the side effects are bothering you then I'd say just finish this last month and quit. If you're older (not in the teens) then chances are your acne won't come back. The side effects bother me pretty good (back pain) but I'm willing to deal with it if my acne never returns. Higher dosage means less likelyhood of your acne returning and with my job I can't afford for it to come back.

Maybe ask your Dermatologist if you can go down on your dose for your final month(s)?

I think you sound ready to get off Accutane though and are pretty sick of it so just tell him you're done and don't let him bug you about it, lol.

welp! I did it. I told him that I started shedding more hair two weeks ago and he said I could stop. I did 3 months at 80 and 2 and 60. I am confident this time around that the results will stick. I just have one more blood test, and then back to him to get a topical for maintenance...and I'll use it until they day I am no longer here if that is what it takes.

So I am thinking, now that I'm done, I'll update my log to reflect on how long it takes for each side effect to resolve, especially the hair shedding. He told me to buy the GNC Hair skin and nail vitamins, so I started that today.

thanks to everyone for the advice/help.

Guest *Spiro*

welp! I did it. I told him that I started shedding more hair two weeks ago and he said I could stop. I did 3 months at 80 and 2 and 60. I am confident this time around that the results will stick. I just have one more blood test, and then back to him to get a topical for maintenance...and I'll use it until they day I am no longer here if that is what it takes.

So I am thinking, now that I'm done, I'll update my log to reflect on how long it takes for each side effect to resolve, especially the hair shedding. He told me to buy the GNC Hair skin and nail vitamins, so I started that today.

thanks to everyone for the advice/help.

Congratulations on finishing your course! I hope that the results stick with you! I like the idea of the side effects log. I am interested to see how long it takes for everything to get back to normal! Please keep us up to date!

I am on month three and my hair has been breaking as well. Its not coming out at the root either. My hair stylist noticed it about a month ago , about mid way thru my hair on back of head I have breakage and she was the one that spotted it. I can also tell when brushing that its snapping off, I have very long hair, but am losing peices of it, not long strands. I assume this is due to dryness. However, over all, my hair doesnt seem any thinner. I started taking biotin.