Notifications
Clear all

Lilo's Paleo Log

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 05/16/2012 12:32 pm

Hi, I'm 36 and still have acne. Basically tried it all, including several courses of roaccutane. My acne is not severe and I don't scar. However, I have daily break-outs of white heads and other bumps and it really affects my mood and self-confidence to the extreme.

So, I started Paleo two weeks ago. Have tried it before, but maybe not for long enough to see actual results. This round I want to record my diet and track any changes, good or bad. My skin has actually worsened since starting, not a good sign! And I am stuggeling a bit with depression and lack of motivation.

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 05/16/2012 1:30 pm

What I don't understand is how my skin can get worse before better? My diet is a bit more carb and include butternet squash and sweet potato on a daily basis, for the rest I eat eggs, veggies, avo, fish, chicken, ostrich and seldomly beef. Few nuts and one banana per day. Also drink / eat kefir and sauerkraut everyday.

Anyway, I will stick with this for at least 3 months and update daily.

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 05/17/2012 12:04 pm

My skin looks particularly bad, hehe! Last Friday I decided to follow an overall natural approach, in addition to a Paleo diet. I started the OCM to cleanse my face. Not good, I have bumps all over my face. Why did I try it again? Anyway, I stopped the OCM 2 days ago.

Breakfast: 2 eggs with steamed broccoli and 1 sweat potato

Lunch: 1 can pink salmon, sauerkraut, 1 avo, 1 sweet potato

Dinner: ostrich mince, sauerkraut, 1 sweet potato

Snack: handfull macadamia nuts

Drinks: black coffee, kefir

Mood and energy: good for a change

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 05/18/2012 1:59 pm

My skin still looks horrific from what I hope was caused by the OCM and not my diet. Tonight I applied diluted ACV and tea tree oil after washing. More oil...? Not sure if I'm doing the right thing here.

Breakfast: baked butternet, mixed with 3 O3 eggs

Lunch: 1 can salmon, baked butternut, sauerkraut

Dinner: salmon, roasted marrow, small potato and tomato

Snack: handful macadamia nuts, 1 block 85 % dark chocolate

Drinks: black coffee

Mood and energy: 6/10

Could also be the nuts or eggs. Or even the sauerkraut (probiotics). However, my skin got progressively worse this last week since the oil cleanses. Monday will be 3 weeks on Paleo.

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 05/20/2012 8:22 am

Yesterday I had:-

Breakfast: sweet potato, fritata with veggies

Lunch: norw salmon, avo, sweet potato

Dinner: chicken, avo, carrots, cucumber

Skin: terrible, whiteheads popping up everywhere

Today I had:-

Breakfast: eggs (butter), pumkin and avo

Lunch: chicken, avo, carrot, cucumber, sweet potato

Dinner: norw salmon, broccoli, cantelope

Skin: terrible still, had to apply zineryt tonight, and is seriously contemplating taking my left-over bactrim

Will exclude egg and butter for a while

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 05/21/2012 11:44 am

Today i had:-

Breakfast: norwegian salmon and sweet potato

Lunch: norwegian salmon and sweet melon

Dinner: norwegian salmon, broccoli, avo and sweet potato (OK, norwegian salmon was on a buy one, get one free special)

Snacks: 2 blocks of 85% dark chocolate, carrots

Drinks: black filter coffee

Almost canned this diet today, but then I'm a failure and will never know if it works or not, which means I will try again in a couple of months, so I might as well sit it out now, what is another month on Paleo anyway.

Omitted butter and eggs today, but started taking Bactrim yesterday (only until things settle down a bit, a week max).

Worked from home today because I could not face my colleagues with their perfect skins. But tomorrow I have no choice but to go to work. Anyone know of an overnight cure?

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 05/22/2012 11:51 am

Today I had:-

Breakfast: sweet potato and cinnamon

Lunch: avo, salmon, pumpkin

Dinner: raw carrot, avo, broccoli, sweet potato and salmon

Snacks: 1 banana, 1 block 85% Lindt

Drinks: black coffee

Skin: super bad still, nothing to report, still inflammation, just not sure from what. I know coffee is not good but I've always had coffee without it having an effect on my skin, same goes for dark chocolate.

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 05/23/2012 1:38 pm

Day 23

Lunch: free range beef jerky, coconut, strawberries

Dinner: chichen salad with lettuce, boiled egg, avo, green beans and very little grated parmesan cheese (the last two items technically not Paleo), I ate at a restaurant and already had to tell the waiter to hold the sauce and croutons, imagine I had to also hold the beans and cheese...there'd be nothing left.

Drinks: 1 water, 1 apple, carrot and ginger juice (fresh), 1 tea, coffee rest of day.

Snack: 1 85% Lindt

Skin: looking a lot better, inflammation seem to have gone down.

Energy and mood: good

Still staying away from butter, had one egg today.

Also stopped Bactrim last night.

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 05/24/2012 2:07 pm

Day 24

Breakfast: sweet potato with cinnamon

Lunch: carrots, avo, pumkin, salmon, banana

Dinner: brocolli, ostrich mince

Snacks: jerky, 85% dark chocolate (2 blocks)

Drinks: black coffee (I need to drink water)

Mood: a bit on the bi-polar side, terrible mood swings, crying spells, next moment not sure why I over-reacted the way I did, really strange and inconcistent. Struggled to cope with normal stressors.

Skin: still improving

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 05/25/2012 3:24 pm

Day 25

Lunch: sweet potato, can of salmon

Dinner: salad with chicken, butternut, beetroot, avo and spinach

Snacks: sweet potato and cinnamon, 2 blocks of 85 % Lindt, 1 small sardine

Drinks: black coffee, 1 small water

Mood: terrible in morning, much better as day progressed

Skin: everything is healing, great, but I don't want to be too optimistic because it has done this before and then all of a sudden it freaks out for no apparent reason

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 05/26/2012 1:35 pm

Day 26

Breakfast: sardines and 1 carrot

Lunch: 2 poached eggs, smoked salmon, half avo

Snack: banana, sweet potato, 1 block of 85% chocolate, 1 carrot

Dinner: norweigian salmon, avo, salad (tomato, lettuce, cucumber)

Mood: 6/10 so not that great, went mountain biking and got tired early on

Skin: good, still have the sandy bumps on my forehead and temples from last week's ordeal

Drinks: black coffee, 1 dry red wine

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 05/28/2012 12:45 pm

Day 28

Lunch: salmon, 1 avo, 2 carrots, butternut

Dinner: bone broth (ox tail) with vegetables, brocolli, chicken, 1 avo

Snacks: banana, 1 block of 85 % dark chocolate

Drinks: 1 peppermint and green tea, black coffee

Skin: very good, still healing from last week

Mood and energy: good, 7/10

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 05/31/2012 11:31 am

Day 31

Diet still more or less the same. Loving meat and chicken broths at the mo.

Skin doing great! Thats why I have become lazy in updating.

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 06/02/2012 6:55 am

Day 33

Started to eat more eggs, and have seen a slight worsening again. Strange..., might need to eliminate eggs once again.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 06/02/2012 4:24 pm

Lilo, i've been following your log and i have started eating Paleo as of yesterday. It is a modified diet that included some sweet potatoes as i am trying to gain weight. I plan on giving it 30 days to see if there is a difference in my breakouts. Hoping to hear more of your journey!

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 06/03/2012 4:46 pm

Day 34

My acne is getting worse again, the only change in my diet was eating 2 eggs per day since last week Wednesday up until this morning. I had to test it because i did not want to believe that eggs could have an effect, I thought it was the sauerkraut and kefir. So, if I drop the eggs, I should be clear in say a week. It's funny because it's exactly the same inflammation issues as last time, the same spots that remain active for days and don't heal-up.

Breakfast: 2 eggs, spinach, bacon and avo

Lunch: chicken and veggies soup, sweet potato, salmon, avo

Dinner: salmon, sweet potato

Snacks: banana, 85% dark chocolate (2 blocks)

Mood and energy: for the first time in my life I have more up than down days. 8/10

Lilo, i've been following your log and i have started eating Paleo as of yesterday. It is a modified diet that included some sweet potatoes as i am trying to gain weight. I plan on giving it 30 days to see if there is a difference in my breakouts. Hoping to hear more of your journey!

Hi, can't say that I have gained weight, but at least I have not lost any. Good luck to you!

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 06/04/2012 12:45 pm

Day 35

Breakfast: salmon & sweet potato, beef broth with blended veggies - fatty meal :-(

Lunch: pumpkin, sweet potato, avo, 2 medium carrots, salmon

Dinner: salmon & sweet potato, beef broth with blended veggies

Snacks: 2 bananas, nuts (a definate no-no), 85 % dark chocolate

Skin: bad

Mood: good, coping so much better with my bad skin

Tomorrow I have a business trip to very small towns until Thursday. Obtaining quality food is going to be a major problem.

Wish I had something more positive to report.

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 06/04/2012 9:23 pm

My inflammation is already appearing to be under control this morning and it has only been 2 days without consuming eggs.

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 06/06/2012 1:21 pm

Day 37

My skin has relapsed, not quite sure why. I find it a bit difficult to believe that a few eggs eaten a few days in a row last week can be resonsible for this break-out. Back to the drawing board, I have decided to avoid red meat and eggs, also too much saturated fat (contained in meat broth). I'm still having chicken broth though, but have opted for skinless.

Anyway, I'm back from my trip and really struggled with lack of food choices and basically lived on bananas, avo and canned alaskan pink salmon. Went hungry for most of today.

Energy and mood: still very good in spite of my skin. I'm really loving the improved mood, if it wasn't for this byproduct, I probably would have ditched the diet by now. I also had no PMS this month.

Today I have purchased some Mg citrate, which acts as a muscle relaxant for improved bowel movements.

I wan't to force my body to stop relying on my skin to eliminate waste products and rather use the bowels. As far as I know, Mg citrate is not habit-forming. Will start on 800 mg.

Basically diet wise, still sticking to mostly fish, avo, sweet potato, pumpkin, brocolli, spinach, carrots, some chicken, coconut, banana...and we'll see how it goes in a week from now.

MemberMember
(@iamthat)

Posted : 06/07/2012 12:15 pm

Lilo... eating all that meat causes your body to be acidic = acne.. Eat fruits and veggies or just go on a fruit or juice fast for a week.. This will get your body alkaline and therefor cure your problem.. Also try affirmations .. Google louise hay acne or skin problems

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 06/07/2012 12:30 pm

I have been vegan and vegetarian before, but no change in skin. But maybe I ate to much bread and stuff, which is also acid-forming. I'm kinda at a loss at the moment.

Day 38

Breakfast: chicken and veggie soup

Lunch: sweet potato, butternut, 2 avos, sauerkraut, carrot, salmon

Dinner: chicken and veggie soup

Skin: still have actives with new developments

Mood: 5/10, feel like giving up on paleo, but where do I go from here? I have exhausted all other avenues. This is essentially my last hope, my only hope...

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 06/07/2012 5:19 pm

I have been vegan and vegetarian before, but no change in skin. But maybe I ate to much bread and stuff, which is also acid-forming. I'm kinda at a loss at the moment.

Day 38

Breakfast: chicken and veggie soup

Lunch: sweet potato, butternut, 2 avos, sauerkraut, carrot, salmon

Dinner: chicken and veggie soup

Skin: still have actives with new developments

Mood: 5/10, feel like giving up on paleo, but where do I go from here? I have exhausted all other avenues. This is essentially my last hope, my only hope...

Hi Lilo, i'll be your Paleo buddy if you want cheer.gif . We can definitely cheer each other on. I know how frustrating it can be especially when you are doing your best. Keep at it! Its supposedly a better way of eating so........

What is your skin care like? Also, have you looked into the possibility that diet may not be your main issue? What kind of acne do you get and where?

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 06/07/2012 10:34 pm

Hi Sasch12, I can definately do with a Paleo buddy!

I use an organic range on my skin. It's called Sanctum. Have only been using it for a few weeks, before that I used Ahava (too expensive but very good).

I basically get red bumps that turn into whiteheads. Normally, if I get one in an area on my face, a few pop-up closeby. I get acne around my mouth, forehead, temples, sides of face. I also have blackheads but they are tolerable.

My chest has never been bad, but has cleared-up since Paleo. I don't get acne on my back. Most people will describe it as mild, but i think it is moderate, whereas it's effects are severe.

How far are you in and what is your skin and diet like?

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 06/07/2012 10:51 pm

I have been to an endo before, my hormones were mostly normal, slightly high 17-OH progesterone, so they ran a CAH test, but it was negative. I had low iron and vitamin D as well, so she basically accussed me of having anorexia because I did not wan't to eat the plan that the dietician gave me in order to pick up weight. So, that was a dead-end, I never returned.

Also, my glucose tolerance test was abnormal, basically said that I was pre-diabetic, my thyroid was underactive, but they blamed everything on my low body weight. I weigh 50 kg and my height is 1,68 m. I wouldn't mind gaining weight but find it difficult when not eating grains.

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 06/08/2012 2:07 pm

Day 39

Breakfast: chicken and veggies soup / broth

Midmorning snack: avo, sweet potato, salmon

Late afternoon snack: sweet potato

Dinner: grilled sardines, potato, roasted peppers. I don't normally eat potato but have a mountainbiking competition tomorrow, so I need carbs for energy

Mood and energy: 8/10

Skin: in repair mode, a lot of marks, less actives

In retrospec, I maybe overdid the red meat, animal fat and eggs, so from now I will mostly do fish