Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mxoxo

Looking For A Prescription Medication Recommendation!

Heres my story: the shortened version thanks to my computer shutting down justtt as I finished lol

Had acne since grade 5. I'm now nearly 24. I have super dry skin after I wash my face then it gets crazy oily after a little while. I have blackheads, and 95% are whiteheads. They all leave a red scar behind that takes years to fade and looks just as bad as whole blemishes.

I've tried a bunch of different otc products and face washes. I haven't changed prescriptions in years and I'm hoping that there are new creams out there that might work better.

I'm currently using Birth control and Benzac AC 10. Its benzoyl peroxide 10%. Any salicylic acid creams I've used have made my skin super dry and flaky (which drives me crazy).

I would soooo appreciate a recommendation that I can take to my doctor. I'm from a small area and the doctors are all old and out of touch with new products and treatments so I need to go in prepared.

Thank you in advance!

Hey it sounds like you havent tried a retinoid? Retin-A is meant to be pretty harsh, but I'm on 0.1% differin gel and have found it ok irritation wise. I started using it along side antibiotics and while I see a difference I'm not sure which is causing it.

Always invest in a good moisturiser though because oil is not the same as moisture!

When it comes to prescription medications, I'd reccomend from my experience of having free antibiotics here in england, to first try Oxytetracycline, then if you want to change or if you become immune like I did, or if it doesn't work for you, try Erythromycin, both are for skin problems and out of the 5 different antibiotics I have tried these 2 by far worked the best.

In response to the post above me, I have tried Retin-A on my chin for blackheads, makes my skin dry, sore, and the opposite of smooth.

Good luck

Edited by Kyle_

Heres my story: the shortened version thanks to my computer shutting down justtt as I finished lol

Had acne since grade 5. I'm now nearly 24. I have super dry skin after I wash my face then it gets crazy oily after a little while. I have blackheads, and 95% are whiteheads. They all leave a red scar behind that takes years to fade and looks just as bad as whole blemishes.

I've tried a bunch of different otc products and face washes. I haven't changed prescriptions in years and I'm hoping that there are new creams out there that might work better.

I'm currently using Birth control and Benzac AC 10. Its benzoyl peroxide 10%. Any salicylic acid creams I've used have made my skin super dry and flaky (which drives me crazy).

I would soooo appreciate a recommendation that I can take to my doctor. I'm from a small area and the doctors are all old and out of touch with new products and treatments so I need to go in prepared.

Thank you in advance!

Spironolactone if you're female. Saw palmetto if you're male.