Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hazelglaze

On Day 5 And So Dry! How To You Manage Dryness And Make Up?

Hi everyone,

I am on day 5 and excited to be on Accutane. I am seeing a little bit of a break out (two large cysts forming along my chin) and have a ton of dryness. I've switched to a mineral make up for drier skin but am having itchy skin by mid-day. For those of you who wear make up and are on accutane, do you moisturize mid-day? How do you moisturize without messing with make up? I work full days and am not confident to go without make up just yet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

Hazel

Guest *Spiro*

Hi! And welcome to the accutane family on here. If you use a good moisturizer in the morning time you should need to moisturize in the afternoon too. By the time I am home for the evening I can tell you though I can't wait to get my makeup off and moisturize. I use CeraVe moisturizing cream. Best thing ever, if I am going to spend time in the sun I use the CeraVe am moisturizer because it has a nice SPF in there.

I have read other peoples logs in here in the past that said the flakiness was so out of control they had to spend their lunch break washing and moisturizing and reapplying make up. I would look into buying a really good moisturizing cream, lotions are a lot lighter and on accutane you need a heavy cream.

Hi everyone,

I am on day 5 and excited to be on Accutane. I am seeing a little bit of a break out (two large cysts forming along my chin) and have a ton of dryness. I've switched to a mineral make up for drier skin but am having itchy skin by mid-day. For those of you who wear make up and are on accutane, do you moisturize mid-day? How do you moisturize without messing with make up? I work full days and am not confident to go without make up just yet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

Hazel

Hi Hazel! Hooray for taking the plunge! May I ask what mineral makeup brands you are using? Just trying to make sure they don't contain the evil bismuth oxychloride cause that can cause itching. I'm starting in a few days and wear mineral makeup, so I'm not excited about the flaking aspect. I might try to not wear any for a while to speed healing, even though it's helllllaaaaa embarassing. saywhat.gif

Hi everyone,

Hazel

I have never used mineral makeup but I do notice that of all my foundations I now prefer to use the ones that used to be too thin/watery. I just have to moisturize really well (CeraVe Moisturizing Cream) and the once it has absorbed my foundation goes on smoothly with no flakes. That moisturizing is so thick that I don't have to reapply during the day. I just put on my makeup and go. The only foundations I have right now that don't dry my skin though are Clinique's Moisture Surge and Maybelline's Fit Me. I think since I just recently started using primer than might have helped a bit.

Hi! And welcome to the accutane family on here. If you use a good moisturizer in the morning time you should need to moisturize in the afternoon too. By the time I am home for the evening I can tell you though I can't wait to get my makeup off and moisturize. I use CeraVe moisturizing cream. Best thing ever, if I am going to spend time in the sun I use the CeraVe am moisturizer because it has a nice SPF in there.

I have read other peoples logs in here in the past that said the flakiness was so out of control they had to spend their lunch break washing and moisturizing and reapplying make up. I would look into buying a really good moisturizing cream, lotions are a lot lighter and on accutane you need a heavy cream.

Thanks BeautifulDisasters! I'll give Cerave cream a try. I've tried the AM lotion with SPF but it doesn't seem to moisturize enough. I might have to apply make up mid-day if it gets worse but will keep my fingers crossed that the cream will work. Thanks again!

Hi everyone,

Hazel

Hi Hazel! Hooray for taking the plunge! May I ask what mineral makeup brands you are using? Just trying to make sure they don't contain the evil bismuth oxychloride cause that can cause itching. I'm starting in a few days and wear mineral makeup, so I'm not excited about the flaking aspect. I might try to not wear any for a while to speed healing, even though it's helllllaaaaa embarassing. saywhat.gif

Hi Ginanutrition,

Thanks for your response. I am using Everyday Minerals in semi-matte. I've been using this brand for a few years now but recently switched from the intensive formulation to matte because of the dryness I was expecting. It doesn't look like it has that ingredient you were mentioning but I am finding myself in this weird zone where my skin is dry and itchy, yet oily at the same time. I tried Loreal True Match today (liquid, has spf 17) and it has been staying on pretty well without the flakiness that I had yesterday with the mineral make up. I've heard that some people have to switch off mineral make up because it doesn't look too good when you are undergoing treatment. Not sure if this is the only reason things look better but I am hoping I am on to something. It sounds like we will only be a few days apart on treatment. I'd love to hear how you fare when you start. Perhaps we can be buddies on this journey and commiserate together!

Hazel

Hi everyone,

Hazel

I have never used mineral makeup but I do notice that of all my foundations I now prefer to use the ones that used to be too thin/watery. I just have to moisturize really well (CeraVe Moisturizing Cream) and the once it has absorbed my foundation goes on smoothly with no flakes. That moisturizing is so thick that I don't have to reapply during the day. I just put on my makeup and go. The only foundations I have right now that don't dry my skin though are Clinique's Moisture Surge and Maybelline's Fit Me. I think since I just recently started using primer than might have helped a bit.

Thanks Alexis. I tried a liquid make up today and Cerave and it seems to be working well. I guess I may have to lay off the mineral powders until this is under control. It looked pretty flaky by the end of the day yesterday and was not a very attractive look! I've never heard of Maybelline's Fit me but will see if they have it in the store near by. Thanks for your suggestions!

Good to know on the mineral makeup flaking badly! I might switch to Aveda tinted moisturizer or just wear regular moisturizer and bear the temporary acne insanity. It's so hard. I can totally relate, but I just don't do well at all with liquid makeup. It's really aggravating so I avoid it.

I've always wanted to try the mineral makeup stuff after I watched someone do their makeup with it on youtube. Looks like pretty good coverage. I can see how that type of makeup would end up flaky.

I got the Maybelline at Walmart. It is watery though so warning. Sometimes I mix it with one of my more thicker foundations but it works by itself. I usually put it on and let it dry and then set it with some powder because it will make your face shiney if you don't. But even after all the primer, powder, etc. I don't have any flakes.

Moisturize like crazy before you put on your make up. After you moisturize, wait like, 10 minutes before you put on your make up so you are giving your skin time to observe the oils from the moisturizer. Good luck!