Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Prekktonn

Just Got My Intolerance Test Back .. Yikes

So I just got my intolerance test back. It was a DNA analysis one using hair. Not too expensive, and I'm not sure just how accurate it is, but here goes. Please let me know what you think, and if you can help me figure out some of this weird stuff.

Food Items

Avocado (Damn I love these)

Broad Bean (What is this? All beans?!)

Brussel Sprouts (Don't eat them anyway)

Cheddar Cheese (That's strangely specific. I try to avoid dairy anyway)

Chickory (Don't know where I eat this)

Coconut (Dang)

Dandelion (Weird)

Date (What is this?)

Fig (?)

Gum Arabic (This seems like a weird intolerance. It's in everything! Damn)

Additive E414. Used in printing, paint

production, glue, viscosity control in

inks. It is main ingredient in soft drinks,

"hard" gummy candies such as

gumdrops, marshmallows and M & M's.

Kohl Rabi (No clue, but probally don't eat it anyway)

Lysozyme (This is an enzyme found in egg white, this will be hard to avoid. I love eggs, and it's in alot of stuff)

Millet Seed (I think this is in some chips)

Mint (My toothpaste!)

Mixed Spice 3

Basil, Ginger, Anise (This sucks because it seems basil is in a ton of stuff. Salsa i think too )

Potato (Damn. I wonder if sweet potatoes fall into this catagory)

Radish (In lots of premade salads I suppose)

Red Currant (?)

Tapioca (?)

Tea (Could they be less specific?! I hope its not all caffine products)

Strangely some of these things I have always thought gave me acne. For example, I always thought that my toothpaste, mouthwash, those weird mint toothpicks, and mint gum gave me acne. This is saying I'm sensitive to mint! Aw man. Well I'll try to stay away from it. I also try not to eat mayo, and low and behold it has eggs in it. My only real question for you guys is if you can think of anything from this list that I would be unaware of. I can't believe it says I'm intolerant to potato and tea! Thats pretty generic. I believe potato is in allot of cheap breads too. Do you think the tea thing refers to caffiene, coffee, etc or just tea? I've always felt that coffee breaks me out, but I love the absolutely zero moster drinks.

Anyway, I'm going to try and avoid whats on this list and I will let you know how it goes. FYI I'm in the middle of a really bad breakout right now so we'll see how it goes.

Today I had some decaf coffee, smoked beef tips, sprite zero, absolutely zero monster, oreos, and a homemade burrito with no cheese. And some canned salmon. I know .. weird menu now that I look at it.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Broad beans are things like lima, fava, butter beans, etc.

Sweet potatoes have no relation to potatoes, so no,

Brussel sprouts, on the other hand, are brassicas and if you are intolerant to one, you might want to be careful with the others. I think kolhrabi is a brassica. Avocados are related to bananas.

Dates come from palms. they are very sweet and often used to sweeten your more 'natural' and 'healthy' fruit and nut bars and such.

And, no there would rarely be any of those spices in salsa, at least not if you are talking about the Mexican/.central American types you'd have at a Mexican restaurant or buy in a supermarket. Not that I've read any labels of that junk in the supermarket. There's no such thing as a good jarred salsa. Anyway, those spices do not belong in a Mexican salsa.

Chickory is added to coffee, especially in Louisiana. Cafe Du Monde and the like.

Decaf coffee still has caffeine, btw.

So I just got my intolerance test back. It was a DNA analysis one using hair. Not too expensive, and I'm not sure just how accurate it is, but here goes. Please let me know what you think, and if you can help me figure out some of this weird stuff.

Food Items

Avocado (Damn I love these)

Broad Bean (What is this? All beans?!)

Brussel Sprouts (Don't eat them anyway)

Cheddar Cheese (That's strangely specific. I try to avoid dairy anyway)

Chickory (Don't know where I eat this)

Coconut (Dang)

Dandelion (Weird)

Date (What is this?)

Fig (?)

Gum Arabic (This seems like a weird intolerance. It's in everything! Damn)

Additive E414. Used in printing, paint

production, glue, viscosity control in

inks. It is main ingredient in soft drinks,

"hard" gummy candies such as

gumdrops, marshmallows and M & M's.

Kohl Rabi (No clue, but probally don't eat it anyway)

Lysozyme (This is an enzyme found in egg white, this will be hard to avoid. I love eggs, and it's in alot of stuff)

Millet Seed (I think this is in some chips)

Mint (My toothpaste!)

Mixed Spice 3

Basil, Ginger, Anise (This sucks because it seems basil is in a ton of stuff. Salsa i think too )

Potato (Damn. I wonder if sweet potatoes fall into this catagory)

Radish (In lots of premade salads I suppose)

Red Currant (?)

Tapioca (?)

Tea (Could they be less specific?! I hope its not all caffine products)

Strangely some of these things I have always thought gave me acne. For example, I always thought that my toothpaste, mouthwash, those weird mint toothpicks, and mint gum gave me acne. This is saying I'm sensitive to mint! Aw man. Well I'll try to stay away from it. I also try not to eat mayo, and low and behold it has eggs in it. My only real question for you guys is if you can think of anything from this list that I would be unaware of. I can't believe it says I'm intolerant to potato and tea! Thats pretty generic. I believe potato is in allot of cheap breads too. Do you think the tea thing refers to caffiene, coffee, etc or just tea? I've always felt that coffee breaks me out, but I love the absolutely zero moster drinks.

Anyway, I'm going to try and avoid whats on this list and I will let you know how it goes. FYI I'm in the middle of a really bad breakout right now so we'll see how it goes.

Today I had some decaf coffee, smoked beef tips, sprite zero, absolutely zero monster, oreos, and a homemade burrito with no cheese. And some canned salmon. I know .. weird menu now that I look at it.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Im so glad I saw this post!

I really want to have an intolerence test done soon. I wasnt sure if I should do the hair one like you or the blood test. How much did it cost if you dont mind my asking, you can send it in a message if you like. Did your insurance cover it? Also did your regular doctor give you these or a derm or an allergist?

I am suprised at how many "healthy' foods we are allergic to. I eat most of the things on your list except avocado which gives me a rash,a nd chicory which is evil anyway(no missing out there chicory can give you diarrhea) lol.

I have always known that eating sweets, too much carbs and dairy are bad for skin but an intolerence test is the only way to find out the hidden causes. I wonder about the mint I eat some kind of mint everyday...supposedly spearmint is good for oily skin but maybe not if youre allergic to it. I am buying a natural toothpaste today thats it. hmm.

I wish you luck in your diet adventure! btw Im sorry have to say it, sugarless drinks like monster and soda are still bad for you(you probably know that anyway) I try to use falvored selzer water ithout real or fake sugar. Boring I know .

Im sorry to ramble on but I really find this allergy stuff interesting.

How do they test for this stuff based on your hair? Especially if it's stuff you aren't eating? I thought you had to be eating something to test for an intolerance to it so they could test for the antibodies. I'm interested in this test.

How do they test for this stuff based on your hair? Especially if it's stuff you aren't eating? I thought you had to be eating something to test for an intolerance to it so they could test for the antibodies. I'm interested in this test.

I think if they mix the food items with your blood/hair and it reacts a certain way, you are allergic. Its nice to know anyhow.

This is good stuff!

I would be really grateful if you could tell me where to get one of these tests, how much they cost ect

Thanks a lot!

:)

Broad beans are things like lima, fava, butter beans, etc.

Sweet potatoes have no relation to potatoes, so no,

Brussel sprouts, on the other hand, are brassicas and if you are intolerant to one, you might want to be careful with the others. I think kolhrabi is a brassica. Avocados are related to bananas.

Dates come from palms. they are very sweet and often used to sweeten your more 'natural' and 'healthy' fruit and nut bars and such.

And, no there would rarely be any of those spices in salsa, at least not if you are talking about the Mexican/.central American types you'd have at a Mexican restaurant or buy in a supermarket. Not that I've read any labels of that junk in the supermarket. There's no such thing as a good jarred salsa. Anyway, those spices do not belong in a Mexican salsa.

Chickory is added to coffee, especially in Louisiana. Cafe Du Monde and the like.

Decaf coffee still has caffeine, btw.

I had a really bad reaction once to one of those "healthy" bars. It was gluten free dairy free etc. but it had things like dates in it. Within an hour my face got really red and greasy. Then the next few days I had pretty bad acne.

You said Dates come from a palm fruit. Do you think I would be intolerance to palm oil? A lot of peanut butter uses palm oil. Heck, lots of stuff does.

Thanks for all the replys and I will message those interested with the info. Just be weary. It is not an exacte science, but I think they use certain DNA markers that match up with intolerances in their database.

It also has a lot of information on non-food allergies. For me that would be berch, ragweed, etc .. I don't know what this means but it is interesting.

Dates are so good. I eat dates, coconut, and figs all the time. You got a pretty big list there. It is interesting wondering how accurate it is, like how is it not all cheese, how just cheddar?