Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
typelogin

Coping With Clear Skin :: A Question

I've been on the Regimen for about 2 months now, and anyone who knew me before the Regimen will tell you they have noticed a change, and that I "haven't been this clear in a long time [5+ years]".

I've also had a new job for just over a month now. As a disclaimer, it's for the same company, but in a different city. What I've noticed is the people treat me differently there. People were more nice to me when my acne was bad. There seems to be more assholes than at my old job. Could it be the different job? Or the different city? Or am I not going crazy, and other people have experienced being treated with more respect, and "nicer" when their acne was bad? Is it just me, or do people treat you worst if you have clear skin than with acne?

Edited by typelogin

People treat me like a child when my acne is bad...they are really nice but I guess they just assume I'm much younger than I am, it's horrendously irritating.

It goes both ways. I've been told by a few people that if they didn't know me, I can look very standoffish and arrogant. This is based on looks alone, cause I'm actually very nice and considerate of others. I work with a lot of different people on a daily basis so I have to be a people person.

Anyway, in my experience it's true that people treat you differently based on your looks. When I'm scruffy and dressed down, I feel the attention from others is not quite there. But when I'm fresh cut and dressed well, sometimes it's good attention like a smile or random conversation with a stranger, but sometimes people look at you like you think the world revolves around you. One time I was waiting in line at the cashier and an older lady in front of me offered her place. I declined, it was awkward for me since we both had just a couple items and I thought it's common courtesy to let elderly and women go first in most situations, plus she was already in front of me. I was all dressed up from work so maybe she thought I didn't have time to wait in a line?

As far as people treating you worse when you look better overall, it could be a number of things or nothing at all. Some people feel more comfortable around others with "flaws" than others with supermodel looks, and vice versa. The only way to find out is to make personal conversation and gauge your reactions there.

@ClearDreaming: I know how you feel... what do you do to cope with it?

@lightersUP: hmm, I'll have to think about your post

@everyone else: My brother is a regular at a local bar. And I fly to and from work each week. Tonight, on my "Friday night" he invited me to the bar and I obliged. One of the bartenders, who is a super hott chick, asked if we were brothers. He said we were, yah da yah da yah da, then she found out I'm from a different State and asked how long I'd be staying in town. She said it in an innuedo way and showed some cleavage. I didn't have a good response, and IMHO came off as a bit of a creep. This has never happened to me before. I've been to the same bar before with much worst acne, and a different bartender, in case you were wondering. Please help. This social treatment seems to be more and more typical, and a change I'm finding hard to adjust to.

Edited by typelogin

@ClearDreaming: I know how you feel... what do you do to cope with it?

To be honest I dont think I do really. People tend to realise I'm clearly older than I look once I start talking, but generally I just try to be nice and get things done quickly if they are.