Notifications
Clear all

Rachel's Accutane Log

MemberMember
(@redhead-rachel)

Posted : 05/14/2012 2:46 pm

Hi! I'm Rachel. I'm 23 (will be 24 later this year). College grad. Blogger. Hater of acne. Blah, blah, blah. tongue.png

I've had mild/moderate acne since middle school. Fortunately, my skin was never terrible back then. However, my face broke out like crazy the summer after I graduated high school (I blame the biotin I was taking). I was prescribed an antibiotic, Zoderm benzoyl peroxide pads, and Differin. Didn't work. I switched to my current dermatologist who prescribed BenzaClin and Retin-A Micro back in 2007. Both products cleared up my skin and kept it relatively clear until last August. I had started taking biotin again and, once again, my face broke out like crazy. (Never taking biotin again.) After that, BenzaClin and Retin-A Micro just weren't cutting it anymore, which led to my dermatologist appointment last month.

My derm took one look at my face and suggested Accutane. I was shocked considering I thought Accutane was for severe acne. Plus, I had three zits on my face at the time of the appointment! (And quite a few red marks.) However, he believes that since my acne is cystic and since other topical treatments have failed, he thinks Accutane is my best option. And after a month of waiting, it's finally time to start taking it.

I'm 5'2 and 105 lbs. I'll be taking 40mg a day (20mg twice a day) for four months. If I'm not clear by the end of the fourth month, my derm will have me take it for another two months. I'd like to be able to take Accutane longer than four months though so I can reach my cumulative dose. My dermatologist sent the prescription to my pharmacy this morning. I've answered my iPledge questions. As long as my pharmacy has the pills in stock, I'll pick them up today and I'll start tomorrow instead of taking two pills tonight.

Will post photos later!

MemberMember
(@veruca-salt)

Posted : 05/14/2012 3:58 pm

Hey! I'm glad you're finally about to get started! iPledge is seriously the worst crap ever. Did you end up getting all sorts of products in preparation for this journey (seriously, I love just comparing beauty loot!)?

MemberMember
(@supernatualfanatic)

Posted : 05/14/2012 5:48 pm

Congratssss! :D

MemberMember
(@redhead-rachel)

Posted : 05/14/2012 9:15 pm

Hey! I'm glad you're finally about to get started! iPledge is seriously the worst crap ever. Did you end up getting all sorts of products in preparation for this journey (seriously, I love just comparing beauty loot!)?

I'm so excited! iPledge is definitely going to be annoying!

I bought a few things to use while on Accutane. I didn't have a moisturizer that would suffice, so I bought CeraVe Moisturizing Cream. Most products make my face break out, so I did a couple spot tests with the CeraVe cream and it seems to be fine. For a body moisturizer I bought an Olay in-shower lotion that someone on this forum mentioned. I also bought some Neosporin to help heal the zits that I'll inevitably get. I have Aquaphor and Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm in Vanilla & Lavender for my lips.

I've been using Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash, Neutrogena's Healthy Defense Daily Moisturizer SPF 50 Purescreen, and Neutrogena's Norwegian Formula Hand Cream for years, so I'm going to continue using them. The only thing I might have to switch is my cleanser if I find it to be drying, but I'll see!

Congratssss! biggrin.png

Thanks, Taylor! smile.pngSo happy to finally be starting!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/14/2012 9:58 pm

Congratulations of starting the medication!! Hope clear skin comes quick and easy for you!! Let us know if you need any advice or questions. We're all experts at this point I swear.. Okay maybe not experts but we know A LOT.

Best of luck and sounds like you are armed with all the good products! I love the CeraVe moisturizing cream. Bet purchase I've made in a long time! Hope you like it!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/14/2012 10:01 pm

omg congrats! You're so luck you got your pills today. Effffing iPledge! Don't you know I will nunchuckyayouuuu!!! Haha

Anyways, cysts on our faces are so old news after Accutane. At least, that's what all my friends claim. Acne might come back a bit, but not the cysts. I think we're all shooting for permanent clearing here though, so let's keep our eyes on the goal.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@redhead-rachel)

Posted : 05/14/2012 10:37 pm

Congratulations of starting the medication!! Hope clear skin comes quick and easy for you!! Let us know if you need any advice or questions. We're all experts at this point I swear.. Okay maybe not experts but we know A LOT.

Best of luck and sounds like you are armed with all the good products! I love the CeraVe moisturizing cream. Bet purchase I've made in a long time! Hope you like it!

Thanks! I sure hope clear skin comes quick and easy too! 🙂 I've been obsessively reading logs over the past month, so I'm glad I know what I'm getting myself into. I'll definitely let you know if I have any questions! Thanks!

You were actually one of the reasons I looked into the CeraVe cream. I noticed it in the regime in your signature and I think you mentioned it in other logs. I used one of the CeraVe lotions in the past and it made me break out, but it seems I'm having better luck with the cream.

omg congrats! You're so luck you got your pills today. Effffing iPledge! Don't you know I will nunchuckyayouuuu!!! Haha

Anyways, cysts on our faces are so old news after Accutane. At least, that's what all my friends claim. Acne might come back a bit, but not the cysts. I think we're all shooting for permanent clearing here though, so let's keep our eyes on the goal.

Good luck!

Thanks, Gina! I'm nervous to start taking them tomorrow, but excited at the same time. I hope you get your pills soon!

We'll all have flawless skin when this is over!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/14/2012 10:52 pm

Thanks! I sure hope clear skin comes quick and easy too! 🙂 I've been obsessively reading logs over the past month, so I'm glad I know what I'm getting myself into. I'll definitely let you know if I have any questions! Thanks!

You were actually one of the reasons I looked into the CeraVe cream. I noticed it in the regime in your signature and I think you mentioned it in other logs. I used one of the CeraVe lotions in the past and it made me break out, but it seems I'm having better luck with the cream.

Good luck!

Thanks, Gina! I'm nervous to start taking them tomorrow, but excited at the same time. I hope you get your pills soon!

We'll all have flawless skin when this is over!

Haha yeah I do mention CeraVe moisturizing cream a lot, I love it though. I find so many people using Cetaphil because it is cheaper but I think the product itself is cheap. I think CeraVe should hire me on as a spokes person. Hahaha or I need to buy stock.

Woo hoo to starting tomorrow!! Let the count down begin

MemberMember
(@supernatualfanatic)

Posted : 05/15/2012 12:29 am

Hahaha "I think CeraVe should hire me as a spokesperson" that made me laugh :) I feel weird when I laugh alone in my room.. but anyway, I hope tomorrow goes well for you! Any questions just ask any of us :D It may get worse before it gets better but just remember it's definitely going to get better! We're all here for you!

MemberMember
(@redhead-rachel)

Posted : 05/15/2012 8:10 am

Haha yeah I do mention CeraVe moisturizing cream a lot, I love it though. I find so many people using Cetaphil because it is cheaper but I think the product itself is cheap. I think CeraVe should hire me on as a spokes person. Hahaha or I need to buy stock.

Woo hoo to starting tomorrow!! Let the count down begin

Haha! They definitely need you as a spokesperson!

I used Cetaphil many years ago because I was given a sample of it when I was using Differin. I just continued using it after that since I didn't have another moisturizer I liked at the time. I don't know if it ever made me break out, but it definitely wasn't my favorite moisturizer. Not sure if I'd try it again.

Hahaha "I think CeraVe should hire me as a spokesperson" that made me laugh smile.png I feel weird when I laugh alone in my room.. but anyway, I hope tomorrow goes well for you! Any questions just ask any of us biggrin.png It may get worse before it gets better but just remember it's definitely going to get better! We're all here for you!

I'll definitely let you know if I have any questions! Thanks! smile.png

Now to keep my fingers crossed it doesn't get too bad before it gets better. eusa_pray.gif

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/15/2012 8:27 am

Woo Hoo for starting your meds today!!

Clear skin here we come!

MemberMember
(@redhead-rachel)

Posted : 05/15/2012 8:41 am

Day 1

I picked up my prescription of Claravis yesterday. My pharmacy only had half of the medicine in stock, so I have to pick up the rest tonight. Could these boxes be covered in any more pregnant ladies?! They're everywhere!

I took my first pill this morning. 20mg. I'll take the other one tonight. I'm not sure if it really matters if you take them together or not, but I'll go with what my dermatologist told me to do. No side effects yet, of course. Although, I was super nervous to take the first pill! Hopefully this process won't be too difficult, but it'll be worth it in the end.

The attached photos were taken yesterday. No makeup (well, except my eye makeup). As I stated in my first post, I really don't have terrible skin. (I hate it though.) So, I'm sure someone is going to think I'm crazy for taking Accutane. My acne is usually just on my chin, so it's pretty weird for me to have had acne on my cheeks lately. Most of the spots you see in the photos are red marks or small bumps that haven't gone away. I have a cyst on my left jawline that popped up in the last few days, a small whitehead on my chin, and a lovely red zit on my right cheek. There's also a zit in between my eyebrows, but that's been healing over the last couple days.

MemberMember
(@supernatualfanatic)

Posted : 05/15/2012 11:45 am

You're gorgeous! And before you know it, that acne will be gonee, we're gonna kick it's ass with Accutane :D.

MemberMember
(@redhead-rachel)

Posted : 05/15/2012 12:47 pm

You're gorgeous! And before you know it, that acne will be gonee, we're gonna kick it's ass with Accutane biggrin.png.

Thanks, Taylor! You're so sweet! And yep... All of our acne will be gone soon! 😀

MemberMember
(@redhead-rachel)

Posted : 05/15/2012 2:01 pm

Kind of random, but after only taking one pill out of the box so far... I already know I despise the packaging! I don't have any pill containers, so I actually searched for some nice ones on Amazon. I found the Apex Pocket Med Pack with 7 Day Tray and ordered it this morning. I figured it would be convenient since I'm taking one pill in the morning and one at night. Plus, the colors are pretty! :P

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/15/2012 2:06 pm

Smart idea. I do the same thing. Damn those packages. I took all my pills out of the boxes yesterday when I pick up my script and now my hands look like I was in a street fight. All scratched up.. If I had to take those pills out daily I would pull my hair out. Pill boxes are a god send when you use this stuff.

Accutane Box 1

Betsy 0

MemberMember
(@redhead-rachel)

Posted : 05/15/2012 2:13 pm

Lol! Damn those pill boxes! It shouldn't be that hard to get our pills out! I can't wait to get the pill boxes so I don't have to deal with the packaging for a while. It'll be much easier!

MemberMember
(@supernatualfanatic)

Posted : 05/15/2012 2:56 pm

I hateee getting those pills out. I feel like my nails are more weak on Accutane and every time I try to pop one out of the box my nails always hurt >:(. Stupid packaging.

MemberMember
(@redhead-rachel)

Posted : 05/15/2012 3:22 pm

Oh no! Seriously, why do they need to be so hard to get out of the box? It's crazy!

I think someone in another log mentioned ripping the box apart to get the pills out. I'm gonna do that and toss the boxes once I start using the pill pockets I ordered.

MemberMember
(@veruca-salt)

Posted : 05/15/2012 3:39 pm

I ripped them out of the box on day 1 and never had any issues with them since!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/15/2012 4:09 pm

Sounds like everyone is going incredible hulk on these boxes and just ripping them up. Haha Awesome. I love how I'm getting all the tips from my accutane friends so there is less to figure out. I keep OBSESSIVELY checking my iPledge status to no avail--my derm hasn't entered the prego test results in yet from yesterday. I'm SO IMPATIENT. Grrr grrr grrrr! Hahaha

MemberMember
(@veruca-salt)

Posted : 05/15/2012 5:08 pm

Sounds like everyone is going incredible hulk on these boxes and just ripping them up. Haha Awesome. I love how I'm getting all the tips from my accutane friends so there is less to figure out. I keep OBSESSIVELY checking my iPledge status to no avail--my derm hasn't entered the prego test results in yet from yesterday. I'm SO IMPATIENT. Grrr grrr grrrr! Hahaha

you're smart to do your research beforehand! i think you're way better prepped for what's to come, and will probably get less noticeable side effects since you already know how to combat dry skin/dry lips/itchy scalp/scabbing/etc.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/15/2012 8:37 pm

Once you see these pill boxes you are going to do the same thing. Insane packaging, insane. Biggest waste if cardboard I have ever seen. It seriously takes me like 20 minutes to take 60 pills out. Stupid, I don't know why they can't be a normal company and put them in a bottle. Go ahead and out the pregnant lady with the huge X over her belly on the pill bottle and the lid and the label I don't care just get rid of those boxes. Not to mention when I leave the pharmacy I leave with a shopping bag of boxes of the stuff. I look like a druggie or a very unhealthy 26 year old. Seriously people look at me like wtf lady. What you got going on in that bag lol. I'd be much happier if they were in a pill bottle or something. Just another pain in the ass on the accutane train ride. Save some time now and go pick out a pill box lol

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/15/2012 8:44 pm

Hahaha You are hilarious. Screw those people who look at us like druggies. I just put on BIG sunglasses and a hat so I look incognito whenever I go to the pharmacy. Still, the pharmacists remember me and are sympathetic cause they know what I'm going through. The hardest part i've faced in the last few months has been the stares at the gym. People look at me like wtf happened to that girl's face? as I'm zooming along on the elliptical. I try to ignore it, cause I know deep down, everyone lacks confidence in at least one area of their lives.

MemberMember
(@redhead-rachel)

Posted : 05/15/2012 9:42 pm

I definitely had to rip mine up tonight! I just could not get the damn pill out! It's ridiculous. Fortunately, my pill boxes come tomorrow (hooray for Amazon Prime!). It'll be much easier having the pills in a little container!

I know what you mean about getting tips beforehand. I have spent the past month obsessively reading logs on this site so I knew what I was getting myself into. Always good to be prepared!

Hope your derm enters your test results soon! After already having to wait over a month it sucks to even wait a few extra days!