Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
UncleBob

Oratane (Accutane) For My Oily Skin

Having had enough, I decided to bite the bullet and go visit a dermoatologist who isn't shy about prescribing accutane. I found one, but it wasn't cheap. Before describing the details, I should tell you a bit about myself. I'm in my early thirties, male, weighs 70KG (155lbs), and have had oily skin & acne since my teenagehood. The oil was ridiculous, no amount of oil-bloting paper would remove it. It was exactly as if someone splashed oil onto their hands, lathered it up, and wiped it on my face. I had to wash it a minimum of 3 times a day just to feel normal. Needless to say this has significantly affected my self-esteem, my ability to socialize, my ability to find uh... other things.

It took me a while to figure out that diet contributed a significant amount to my acne, especially cystic ones. After trying many things, someone here years ago suggest that cutting all sugars would help. And it did. I eliminated all sugars from my diet including bread, all dairy products, cakes, sodas, biscuits, cookies, chocolate bars, and so on. It cured about 95% of my acne, and it also made me healthier. The one thing it did not do was cure my oil production. Anyway...

• The first week he gave me antibiotics to "condition" my skin before the treatment & did a blood test. A few days later my mild scne swelling that usually appeared at my temples were gone.
  • The following week he prescribed 20mg of oratane & also continued the antibiotic for 1 week. A few days later my skin started to shine, but it wasn't oily. Apparently this is a common thing where the skin changes in structure and was about ready to start peeling. The oil subsided quite a bit by the end of that week.
  • In the third week, he wanted to continue 20mg, but I insisted that he follow through with his promise of 40mg plus the same level of antibiotic as before. He did. I've just about completed my second week of oratane. I have to continue another week with 40mg before I see him again. I didn't have any major breakouts whatsoever.

Wow. Let me tell you, the difference was astounding! For the first time in 20 years, I was no longer oily. I could get up in the morning & run out the door without having to worry about whether my oil would make me look like I was in a steam room for half the day. Usually when I started showering, I'd wet my hair & make sure it's thoroughly wet with my hands - previously my hands would be crazy oily, but now... it's as if I'd sometimes wonder whether I've already shampooed it! All that in 2 weeks..two!

But yes, there are side effects. The shiny skin was almost gone, and I've started peeling. Also, all my pores are excreting soft white blackheads. They're annoying, but absolutely managable compared to the oil. I look out the window and realize, crap, I've got a lot of fun/life stuff to do! About bloody time. Thank you accutane!! smile.png To be continued...

Edited by UncleBob

Having had enough, I decided to bite the bullet and go visit a dermoatologist who isn't shy about prescribing accutane. I found one, but it wasn't cheap. Before describing the details, I should tell you a bit about myself. I'm in my early thirties, male, weighs 70KG (155lbs), and have had oily skin & acne since my teenagehood. The oil was ridiculous, no amount of oil-bloting paper would remove it. It was exactly as if someone splashed oil onto their hands, lathered it up, and wiped it on my face. I had to wash it a minimum of 3 times a day just to feel normal. Needless to say this has significantly affected my self-esteem, my ability to socialize, my ability to find uh... other things.

It took me a while to figure out that diet contributed a significant amount to my acne, especially cystic ones. After trying many things, someone here years ago suggest that cutting all sugars would help. And it did. I eliminated all sugars from my diet including bread, all dairy products, cakes, sodas, biscuits, cookies, chocolate bars, and so on. It cured about 95% of my acne, and it also made me healthier. The one thing it did not do was cure my oil production. Anyway...

• The first week he gave me antibiotics to "condition" my skin before the treatment & did a blood test. A few days later my mild scne swelling that usually appeared at my temples were gone.
  • The following week he prescribed 20mg of oratane & also continued the antibiotic for 1 week. A few days later my skin started to shine, but it wasn't oily. Apparently this is a common thing where the skin changes in structure and was about ready to start peeling. The oil subsided quite a bit by the end of that week.
  • In the third week, he wanted to continue 20mg, but I insisted that he follow through with his promise of 40mg plus the same level of antibiotic as before. He did. I've just about completed my second week of oratane. I have to continue another week with 40mg before I see him again. I didn't have any major breakouts whatsoever.

Wow. Let me tell you, the difference was astounding! For the first time in 20 years, I was no longer oily. I could get up in the morning & run out the door without having to worry about whether my oil would make me look like I was in a steam room for half the day. Usually when I started showering, I'd wet my hair & make sure it's thoroughly wet with my hands - previously my hands would be crazy oily, but now... it's as if I'd sometimes wonder whether I've already shampooed it! All that in 2 weeks..two!

But yes, there are side effects. The shiny skin was almost gone, and I've started peeling. Also, all my pores are excreting soft white blackheads. They're annoying, but absolutely managable compared to the oil. I look out the window and realize, crap, I've got a lot of fun/life stuff to do! About bloody time. Thank you accutane!! smile.png To be continued...

Well hello Uncle Bob, nice to meet ya :-)

Im so pleased to read your post as I am in the same situation an have been pondering whether or nor low dose Accutane would be the way to go for me.

I am *over 30* an dont have much acne--like you I stopped eating junk an it helped a lot!--but the oiliness plagues me. I feel like I have to wash 3 times an it gets annoting in the middle of the day. Im female so make up is a huge issue!

Anyways, I have always said that the biggest problem with accutane an side effects is the doctors prescribing too high a dose. I hear 20 mg is PLENTY to start wih. If you take too much pain killer it can kill your liver, so it is probably just a matter of overdoing it

How long are you doing to stay on it an, you really have no inition increase in outbreaks?

Id like to follow your success if you dont mine:-)

ps I cant have babies so no worries for side effects.

Annemarie.

Well hello Uncle Bob, nice to meet ya whistling.gif)

Im so pleased to read your post as I am in the same situation an have been pondering whether or nor low dose Accutane would be the way to go for me.

I am *over 30* an dont have much acne--like you I stopped eating junk an it helped a lot!--but the oiliness plagues me. I feel like I have to wash 3 times an it gets annoting in the middle of the day. Im female so make up is a huge issue!

Anyways, I have always said that the biggest problem with accutane an side effects is the doctors prescribing too high a dose. I hear 20 mg is PLENTY to start wih. If you take too much pain killer it can kill your liver, so it is probably just a matter of overdoing it

How long are you doing to stay on it an, you really have no inition increase in outbreaks?

Id like to follow your success if you dont mine:-)

ps I cant have babies so no worries for side effects.

Annemarie.

No breakout at all. All I had were a few bumps under my skin (the stage just before it turns cystic), which would be red & swollen were it not for the antibiotic. But he did say that I could breakout in the first few weeks. They're gone now except for 2 right on my forehead. I don't know how long I'll be on it, perhaps 6-9 months. Although I'm a guy, he kept on telling me about his female customers & how they're "addicted" to it's awesome effects. Apparently 20mg is perfectly adequate for them, whereas me being a tad bigger would require slightly more. He also told me that on the next session he'll determind whether or not to lower the dose to 30mg or back to 20mg, depending on how dry my skin is. I told him it's totally cool man, and that if I have dry skin, I'll just cream myself on my face.

An update this week - after my antibiotic ran out on Tuesday, so the rest of the week was not that great. I experienced a mild flare-up - one swollen one next to my left ear, two under my right ear, and one smack in the middle of my forehead, hah! smile.png All turned red to a degree, but all are now subsiding (thankfully). Didn't touch them even though one had an obvious "head" peeking out. Turned out to be a wise decision, as they all shrank quite fast compared to normal (within 3-4 days).

Anyway I still have absolutely no oil, but lots and lots of dry peeling skin. Middle of the week I bought "QV Skin Lotion" (as per instructions on the Oratane booklet) to treat it. Worked like a charm, but dang does it look shiny. If I'm at home, it's not a problem, but if I need to head out, I spread some baby powder on my hands & very gently pat areas where it's shiny. Again, works like a charm, I'm clear & matte the whole day. Heck, previously I used to wash several times a day, but now I'm down to just once a day. Even shampooing, once every two days is good enough! Besides all that, those little white blackheads are now covering most of my face. It's annoying, but the lotion softens it up well.

I tried drinking some sweet stuff in the week, and besides the aforementioned flare, no major problem came up. My back is also clearing up nicely! I could technically go to the beach without feeling self-concious!

Edit: So I saw my dermatologist & he likes the report so he will continue my 40mg dosage for another 3 weeks. 2 weeks from now will be my 5th week on accutane, so I'll be having another blood test. Anyway for the details, he said those little white blackheads (comedones), are notmal. Apparently on my first week on 40mg, all of them got pushed up from deep within my pores... and boy were they everywhere. He confirmed that they will not come back, so that's good. One last thing he mentioned was that my dry scaly skin will apparently improve within the next 3 weeks. Well, I'm sure hoping that's the case.

Edited by UncleBob

Another update this week - still on 40mg, and just as my dermatologist predicted, the flakiness of the skin on my face has diminished significantly! There are a few peeling flakes left, and my arms are starting to flake as well, but it's nothing my lotion cannot handle. The shine is somewhat back, though reduced by a bit. Baby powder takes care of that when I head out. Things were going so well, I decided to try consuming sweet things like a normal person would.... damn was it worth it. Unfortunately it came with costs - I had a medium-sized zit on my back which will heal by the weekend (yea i carefully popped it), and unfortunately my oil came back very slightly as well. Mostly on my nose & a bit on my forehead. I've stopped consuming those junk, so I expect to be smooth & dry once again next week :). I suspect that accutane does contribute to the initial breakout in the beginning for most people, and it indeed can be controlled with antibiotics... but most probably also readily consume sugary junk at the same time, which would I suppose significantly increase the incidence of the flare. It's definitely worth it to not consume those when starting accutane treatments.

No other side-effects to report. No depression, no muscle-aches, no sensitivity to light (ok maybe slightly dry eyes), zip. My lips still feel weird, so I put plenty of lip-balm. I had a haircut Monday, after he was done, I felt it.... it was smooth & soft like baby hair or something. The old wounds on my back are still healing, I expect it to look like normal skin color in 2-3 months.

This stuff has made me so frickin' confident, I'm starting to get emotionally & physically closer to my girlfriend wub.png . Yes an actual girl I'm chasing for the first time in my life, and I'm no longer self-concious about my oil! I'm even on the planning stages of starting my own damn company! cool.png

Another update this week - still on 40mg, and just as my dermatologist predicted, the flakiness of the skin on my face has diminished significantly! There are a few peeling flakes left, and my arms are starting to flake as well, but it's nothing my lotion cannot handle. The shine is somewhat back, though reduced by a bit. Baby powder takes care of that when I head out. Things were going so well, I decided to try consuming sweet things like a normal person would.... damn was it worth it. Unfortunately it came with costs - I had a medium-sized zit on my back which will heal by the weekend (yea i carefully popped it), and unfortunately my oil came back very slightly as well. Mostly on my nose & a bit on my forehead. I've stopped consuming those junk, so I expect to be smooth & dry once again next week smile.png. I suspect that accutane does contribute to the initial breakout in the beginning for most people, and it indeed can be controlled with antibiotics... but most probably also readily consume sugary junk at the same time, which would I suppose significantly increase the incidence of the flare. It's definitely worth it to not consume those when starting accutane treatments.

No other side-effects to report. No depression, no muscle-aches, no sensitivity to light (ok maybe slightly dry eyes), zip. My lips still feel weird, so I put plenty of lip-balm. I had a haircut Monday, after he was done, I felt it.... it was smooth & soft like baby hair or something. The old wounds on my back are still healing, I expect it to look like normal skin color in 2-3 months.

This stuff has made me so frickin' confident, I'm starting to get emotionally & physically closer to my girlfriend wub.png . Yes an actual girl I'm chasing for the first time in my life, and I'm no longer self-concious about my oil! I'm even on the planning stages of starting my own damn company! cool.png

good on ye Im pleased to hear its all going well for you!

I think this will have a very good outcome :-)

Thanks OPeggyGordon :) It's absolutely a godsend, I'm already on my way to living my life to the best that I can possibly make it! ^_^ I'll be saving up soon, so if a few years down the line my oil should come back, I'll be ready.

No significant changes this week. There is still some peeling skin, shiny skin, & no breakouts. There is an extremely small amount of oil on my nose though, as in touching it firmly you can feel it, where when you're expecting it to be matte it's kinda not, but otherwise it's not a big deal. No muscle aches, but then again I'm not working out as much these days heh. I do feel a bit tired sometimes, but I can't say if it's from doing all the extra stuff to get my life in order, or from the medication. Otherwise everythings peaches ^_^. I did have my blood taken this Tuesday, so I'll know what effect 40mg had on me by the coming Tuesday.

On a side note, damn, there's a lot to learn about male fashion. If anyone's interested in fixing themselves up, I suggest heading over to Reddit's MFA as a starting point.

Week 7:

I've seen the dermatologist & received my blood test. Good news is that everything looks perfectly normal :) Liver stuffs are very very slightly elevated, but still within the margin of error. My triglyceride levels are however increasing a bit. I'll watch my diet carefully I suppose. He prescribed me 4 more weeks of accutane (hurray! :D). He did ask me if I wanted to increase my dosage, but I declined, as 40mg was perfectly adequate :) I may try 50mg next month though, see what happens heh. Else, everythings super! Slight peeling on my face, but nothing else different. No acne, oil has reduced a tad, and some thin comedones are appearing, but they're no big deal. :)

Week 8:

A few things to report. Some peeling around my nose area, oil is still controlled although sometimes when I touch my nose areas (where it's most oily) it feels like touching a candle. It feels like its oily, but rubbing your fingers afterwards reveals nothing. Anyway I'm not complaining heh :) I experienced some mild aches around my body though... at first I thought it was something I did, but after carefully reviewing my actions of the previous few days, I didn't do any heavy lifting out of the ordinary. Besides that, I am starting to feel... a little strange in terms of mood :D Guess I'll have to watch myself carefully heh. No acne or anything, and I've been consuming chocolate milk weekly.

Week 10:

It's almost to the 3rd month on the stuff. Mild peeling still apparent sometimes, so I either put on lotion, or gently remove the flakes. Oil is actually coming back a bit, though it's just on my nose area. Other areas that tend to get oily are dry & nice. I haven't had an ache for 2 weeks, so I guess it's improving there. I'm going to stop drinking chocolate milk haha :D I want to see if that does anything to my oil production. Next week I should start to see if that helps. As for the weird feeling/mood, well that's fading away too! :) I'm going to run out by Tuesday, so I'll see my dermatologist then. I've decided that I'll probably stick with the 40mg dose for another month or so.

Anyway I've begun my first steps into my business! Very exciting stuff, but I'm also damn scared! Last week I had to overcome my now improving social anxiety issues. Details aren't important, but let's just say it was a very adult and mature thing for me to do, and I did it very well! Yea. I'll make sure to give you all updates on how things are next year.

Week 13:

Apologies for not updating sooner, was extremely busy with beginning states of starting up the new business. Anyway the doc prescribed me with 40mg, and next month I'll be trying 50mg or 60mg to see if that does anything. My skin peels a bit here & there, and I also do very very gentle exfoliating on my face. Everything's great so far. Unfortunately I wasn't able to control my sweet tooth that much, so I've been consuming sweets now for the past week or so, like chocolate milk, cookies, pizza, & custard cake. No cystic acne (wow), and my face is strangely glowing, bright, & full of life - although some oil is beginning to seep out.

I'll have to control it now with two weeks left to go before my next appointment. And I need to lose 2 inches around my damn waist. So lets see :)

Week 16:

Small update, no change whatsoever smile.png No zits, oil is extremely low, skin is dry & flakey, and thats about it! I lost 1 inch on waist, though I do still drink chocolate milk from time to time heh. Had graduation ceremony, face was super clear, so thats cool too! Not much to report from doc either. I wanted to try 50-60mg, but I probaby had to pay double what I normally do, so I'll stick with 40mg until the rest of the treatment.

That's it, 4 months flew by just like that heh.

Edited by UncleBob