Notifications
Clear all

🙁 Makeup Makes My Skin So Much Worse

MemberMember
(@bookitty)

Posted : 05/12/2012 4:42 pm

I am sick of having such sensitive skin. I can't put ANYTHING on it without it causing some sort of reaction. My skin is at its clearest when all I use is water, but even then I still have red marks and spots. I would love to be able to use some sort of foundation, that gave me alright coverage and then when I remove it at night, doesn't make me feel like I've damaged my skin even more. I have tried so many different foundations.

My latest attempt at covering my spots was using Jarde mineral makeup. The coverage is brilliant, it's made me feel so much more confident, and makes my skin look lovely. When I take it off at night, my skin looks okay, but the next morning, I look in the mirror and my skin is covered in tiny flat red spots (along with my usual spots). I can't decide if this is my skin getting used to me putting makeup on it, or if my skin can't handle mineral make up either?

I just don't know what to do. I've tried abstaining from make up completely, but my skin never clears up enough for me to feel confident. So now i'm allowing myself to wear foundation again, but it is making my skin terrible. What can I do? Should I keep using the foundation and hope that my skin will get used to it eventually?

MemberMember
(@clambak3)

Posted : 05/12/2012 7:51 pm

I really liked that video! Will definitely be trying ^_^

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 05/13/2012 2:34 am

Why don't you try tinted moisturizer and then just put a little bit of concealer on your problem spots? It'll be more natural on your skin than coating it in foundation. I use NARS Tinted Moisturizer and it really makes your skin look more even-toned and clear. Then, I apply Make Up For Ever Full Cover concealer on a few spots and I'm done.

MemberMember
(@mm-brian)

Posted : 05/16/2012 5:42 pm

Maybe you're not removing it properly? Since you're getting the spots the morning after, they could just be blocked pores from make up left on your skin overnight...

Try that video above, removing make up with oil-based cleansers is the best way to go as it removes everything. Then wash your face as normal, tone and moisturise before bed. See if that helps.

MemberMember
(@livingwithfaith)

Posted : 05/17/2012 8:26 pm

If you just have to wear makeup, just use concealer and dab it on the red spots. Full coverage may just make your entire face worse. Trust me, I know.

MemberMember
(@starlitskies)

Posted : 05/18/2012 11:22 am

The only makeup that doesn't break me out is mineral makeup by Alima Pure. It contains only three ingredients, so it's the best in my opinion and much better than most other mineral makeup. You should definitely only wear makeup when you are going out somewhere and feel you really need it though. And take your makeup off as soon as you get home. I can basically get all of mine off with just a washcloth and warm water, and then I use a gentle cleanser before bed to get any traces left off.

MemberMember
(@imisstheoldme)

Posted : 02/24/2013 11:25 am

Hi,

I know this post is kind of old... but just wanted to put my two cents in.

I think you should wear tinted moisturizer... Physician's Formula sells a good one because it is oil free, hypoallegenic, fragrance free and non comedogenic. I really like their line because most of their products are. If the tinted moisturizer isn't enough coverage than use either their liquid foundation or loose powder foundation.

Hope this helps!

MemberMember
(@naturalog)

Posted : 02/24/2013 2:42 pm

I also agree with everyone that you should start with either a tinted moisturizer, a concealer only, or a bb cream. IMO, the only thing that positively affects my skin is my bb cream. You have to find the right one for you as not all bb creams are created the same. I use a korean brand (Dr. G not Jart++) that is extremely gentle on my skin and offers almost as much coverage as Make Up For Ever's full coverage line.

I also suggest you buy an oil cleaner (or jojoba oil as someone else has recommended). It seems weird to be rubbing oil all over your face, esp if you have an oily complexion, but i swear it removes all the dirt/makeup even the most waterproof and leaves your skin feeling clean and soft.