Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
animegirle

Dermabrasion on 9/21 w. Dr. Y

Animegirl,

You look great even without makeup, I'm jealous!

I don't see any rolling scars on your face from your CO2, did the dermabrasion take care of that?  I have them from CO2 and I'm wondering if dermabrasion would help me.

Thanks!

Hejira

Hi there Animegirl,

I had a question for you and anyone else who's had dermabrasion re: the texture of your skin. I had dermabrasion 4 months ago, and not only did my scars resurface (I was expecting that anyway) along with new ones, but the texture of my skin is quite different than before the procedure. I don't know how else to describe it, but my skin now has a lizard-y, scaly, orange-peelish texture. It looks sort of like huge pores or something, but without the pores. LOL...okay, that probably made zilch sense. Before, the texture of my unscarred skin was smooth. It was like a slate without any texture or pattern to it. Even the scarred skin had a decent texture to it. It is now especially difficult for me to apply my sunblock (which has a fleshy hue to it and so double functions as a foundation of sorts). It looks quite nasty, and no matter how much I rub it into my skin, it's always cakey and settles into these bizarre grooves or lizard-y texture. Similarly with other foundations. Do you or anyone else have any iota as to what's going on? Or should I chalk this up to terrible healing? Is there anything I can do to remedy it, or am I forced to live as a recluse? (Okay, I was just teasing about the last question, although this will have a profound effect on my future/life.) I haven't visited with Dr. Y in about two months, but I have an appointment with him soon. I would still appreciate your comments. Thank you. And btw, you look absolutely gorgeous. Your healing abilities must be phenomenal.

Animegirl, your skin looks *amazing*! Congratulations!!! It really looks perfectly smooth to me. :-)

I was wondering if you have seen the thread about scars filling in and could give your opinion? I really would love to hear your thoughts since you have had such excellent results.

Congrats again. You are beautiful!!

Hi there Stat A,

Sorry to hear you had such problems with texture! I have never had any change in texture from dermabrasion, but the CO2 laser left me with enlarged pores and a more orange peel type texture to my skin.

Have you tried using any AHA products on your skin? I find a huge difference in my skin when using glycolics vs not using them. Texture changes are an unfortuante complication with all of these resurfacing procedures. One of the reasons I went ahead with this final surgery was to try and smooth over the damage from the CO2 laser. I wish you luck with finding a remedy.

I would really give the AHA's a go, they help me a lot! I use Sage skincare's 20% AHA cream...sometimes I also use the 20% gel. You might want to start with a lower concentration and work your way up. Remember there usually is a skin purging phase when you begin using glycolics. Sorry it took me a few days to respond, I was out of town. Good luck and please update once you speak with Dr. Y!

redface.gif Thanks guys, it is pretty scary looking at those gigantic pictures of my face..lol. I am still searching for my Jr. year school photo...I have a large copy here somewhere I swiped from my mom...shhhh. I think you might be able to tell a bit more from it.....

I am also going to phone Dr. Y and see if I can get a copy of my pre-op photos.

Well here is the 10th month mark. Good grief time sure does fly. I do have on makeup in these pics. Please note that my lip is not deformed, that is just a lovely zit caused by some lip balm. Oh how I love my sensitive skin. wub.gif

My skin is doing pretty well these days. I have added copper peptides back into my regimen. I use the serum every other day and spot treat with Super Cop 2X two or three times a week. I have to be very careful or the 2X will break me out. I use a toothpick to apply a dab into the scar. On my nights with no peptides I use Sage's 20% smoothing cream and their BHA solution in the AM prior to makeup application.

My skin has healed well from the dermabrasion/punch floats. I will update this thread with new pics around the one year mark. That is the point Dr. Y said all improvements should be noticable. We shall see.....

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

You look fantastic Misty! Beautiful as ever.

The supercopx2 sometimes breaks me out too. How do you stop that from happening? Do you only apply a tiny bit to the scar? I was doing o.k. with my regimen for a while, but then a few days ago it broke me out really bad. cry.gif My skin is very sensitive to everything.

Hi Lexy!

Thank you! redface.gif

The Supercop and Trireduction both contain some pore clogging ingredients per the list at www.zerozits.com, so I went in using it very sparingly. I take a very tiny bit on the end of a toothpick and place it inside of the scar. I do not cover any large area of my skin with the cream. I know it would cause me to break out in massive zits. I placed a large glob on a spot on my forehead and landed up with a nasty zit that lingered for several days. evil.gif I am super, super sensitive as well. I can tell you that the Super Cop Serum does not cause me any problems, so I use that all over every other night.

Good luck with the peptides and continue to update! I try to avoid the breakouts by just placing the tininest amount inside of the scar. It is a bit of a pain, but so are those zits. Ohhhh for an easy solution... eusa_boohoo.gifbiggrin.gif

I use the 20% smoothing cream from Sage. I have the gel as well, but the cream seems to work better for me. Granted it is not a miracle, but my skin def. looks better when using it. I use their 4% BHA in the mornings and then alternate at night between the cream and the copper peptides. Hope this helps!

How are you doing these days?

Thanks, i think i'm going to buy the 20% smoothing gel, as i think gels are relatively better than creams incase of breakouts, or maybe i'm wrong.....hmmm...... I checked on makeupalley.com and it gets quite a good write-up, although it is pretty expensive, but i'm hoping it might help a little with my breakouts.

Overall i'm not to great just now to be honest, to me my scarring is still VERY, VERY unsightly, plus i have a about 10 active pimples, and my face is quite ruddy, i went to get my hair done at my cousins salon yesterday, and she says she sees no difference in my scarring after having dermabrasion, so that kinda made me feel really crap, but i suppose she was just being honest. I wish my 2nd derm was sooner, but i have to wait 5 months, and it seems like a life time away, this will be thr last derm i have, as i have absosloutly no more money left after this one, so i just hope to hell that i will be happy and able to live a relatively 'normal' life after it, and not have to constantly worry about scarring 24/7.

I know where you are coming from, I really, really do. There are about 10 billion things that I would rather do than work on acne scarring.

When I began using the Sage glycolics I had a bit of an initial breakout. Prepare for that, as it is usually the norm when starting with AHA's. I can say that the cream does not break me out AT ALL. Believe me I am the first one to break out if there is even the tiniest chance of it happening. The cream seems to give me better results versus the gel. They are expensive, but you use so little they last a really, really long time. The use of AHA's in my routine really helps any active acne go away faster.

I wish you lots of good luck with your next procedure. Please feel free to pm me anytime.

Hugs,

Misty

Hi Misty,

Is it possible to do dermabrasion on the lip and chin area only and not full face? I have scarred pores all over this area from some bad electrolysis I had in the fall (not even from acne). I really want to get rid of them and am trying to think of what my last resort would be. It seems like dermabrasion would be my last resort if all else fails. I really hate to have something abrasive done if I can avoid it, but I guess I would consider just about anything right now as all I can think about are these scars and how I would have never gotten them if I didn't go to that woman for electrolysis. You try one thing and get mangled. I used to feel pretty and confident; now I feel ugly and self conscious all the time. sad.gif

[attachmentid=1637]I am also asian with type IV/V skin. Does anyone here think Dermabrasion would be effective on my scars. I have pics posted with this post. I am thinking about getting dermabrasion with Dr. Alkek in Texas. I am from California. Please let me know. Thank You[attachmentid=1637][attachmentid=1638]

post-25805-1120625011_thumb.jpg

post-25805-1120625026_thumb.jpg

post-25805-1120625011_thumb.jpg

post-25805-1120625026_thumb.jpg