Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
misteraa

Non Oily Skin But Still Bad Acne

Hello everyone,

I am an 18 yr old male, and have had acne since i was 12. I have been going to the derm for 4 years, have tried countless of over the counter products and well as several courses of antibiotics. i was on accutane for 3 weeks, but had to stop because it was causing me to constantly urinate and feel like i needed to urinate. nothing seems to work and my acne just keeps getting worse every year.

Anyway, after spending days of reading different people's stories and researching different treatments, i cant help but notice that almost everyone seems to have "really oily skin." This confuses me because, although i have very bad acne, i have never really had very oily skin. My skin certainly isn't excessively dry, but i would certainly not call it oily either.

I was just wondering if there is anyone else who is experiencing the same problem? Also, what would be the best way to going about eliminating my acne if excessive oil doesn't appear to be the problem?

Thank you to anyone who replies

Wait... Wha? I have never heard of anyone having urinating problems on Accutane.

Accutane is the only thing that has worked for me... Guess you'll have to try the BP, prescribed topicals, and antibiotics because your...er.... urinating problem.

I've always had dry skin and bad acne. No clue why it is like that.

Tip: Wear moisturizer.

Thanks for the advice,

It urination issue was awful, imagine not being able to fall asleep for hours and having to stand while at the movie theatre. I was test for a UTI and it came back negative. I stopped the Accutane and the issue resolved itself within two weeks

BP doesn't seem to work for my skin, and i was on two years of antibiotics so the chances of another antibiotic working are very slim. if anything, another antibiotic would simply make my acne worse...

Another interesting thing is that, although i have really bad acne on my face, i have never had it on my chest or back. i also tend to break out on the right side of my face more so than on the left side. i change my pillowcase every night.

Once again, thank you to anyone who replies

I've never heard this before. What I have figured out is that I don't think my acne is hormonal. I do think that it is an internal problem and I've changed my diet(for the most part) and I've seen pretty good results. First off, AVOID DAIRY!! DON'T DRINK MILK!!. If you need the calcium, try almond milk, not soy. I've been taking fish oil pills and it does seem to be helping. Make sure you have plenty of fiber in your diet or take fiber pills to keep things 'moving.' Because you can't take anymore antibiotics, try a daily probiotic pill. I read in the clear skin diet that yogurt and probiotics do essentially the same thing as Accutane, which is to get rid of the bad bacteria. And I've also been drinking about 2 cups of green tea per day (brewed from the same bag) and at least a cup of water with lemon squeezed into it to clean out my colon.

I have cut out all dairy and only drink almond milk. I also take probiotics and drink tea daily. I will definitively be adding a squeezed lemon to my tea now that you mention it.

I am also wondering if anyone has any information on this issue, but i have absolutely no body acne whatsoever. the acne on my face is awful and has scarred it up, but i have maybe gotten two pimples on my chest and back throughout my entire life. does anyone know if there is something i should take away from this? does it mean something if i have really bad acne on my face but absolutely NONE on my chest and back?

I have cut out all dairy and only drink almond milk. I also take probiotics and drink tea daily. I will definitively be adding a squeezed lemon to my tea now that you mention it.

I am also wondering if anyone has any information on this issue, but i have absolutely no body acne whatsoever. the acne on my face is awful and has scarred it up, but i have maybe gotten two pimples on my chest and back throughout my entire life. does anyone know if there is something i should take away from this? does it mean something if i have really bad acne on my face but absolutely NONE on my chest and back?

I'm the same way. I have very little if any chest, neck or back acne but have dealt with severe cystic acne on my face before. I attribute this to my face being super oily though.

i would really recommend using oil absorbant paper. you can probably get this at any cvs, walgreens and it really helps in controlling oil. its kinda cool seeing how much oil is absorbed onto the paper.