Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey y'all!

So a little background info: I'm Robyn. i'm 18 years old and i live in Georgia. Just got done with my freshman year of college! I've had mild acne for a couple of years now and the past 2 years i have done just about everything to try to get rid of it! From expensive facials, cleansers, retin-A, and I have even been on a vegan diet for 2 years. I recently went to a doctor and we decided that accutane was the best option for me. After i confirm my second pregnancy test i will be starting it! (can they not trust the first one?? haha)

I decided to keep a log of how things will go, also so i can track my progress and hopefully see a difference in my skin! some people might look at my skin and think it's not bad enough to go on accutane, but i feel like i have definitely tried everything i can. (i will post pics when i start day 1) Also, i am going to be a bridesmaid in September and i want perfect skin. I heard that if you only have mild acne then accutane will clear it up as early as 2 months? any truth to that?? well hopefully it will be improved by september and i'm a little worried about the IB :\

Sooo if anybody has advice, recommendations, or has started accutane recently then just let me know! :))

CONGRATS :D

I'm almost a month in, and so far it's been pretty good: I'm at the highest dosage of 80mg too and only 110lbs, but watch out for dry lips, dry skin, back pain, and my most annoying: dry noseeee.

Everything dries out, and that happened for me actually only a few days ago.

Facewash: Nothing crazy, a simply cleanser (Cetaphil), or I just use Dove soap

Moisturizer, CeraVe, Cetaphil, anything that is non comegenic or w/e haha, and oil-free.

Lips: AQUAPHOR, it's a lifesaver

Scalp: Your scalp may get itchy at first, but that goes away after a few days, and then you'll be able to go 3-4 days without washing your hair, it's amazing, I used to have hair that I had to wash every night, but now I can go 3 days without it. I do recommend Head & Shoulders for itchy scalp with Eucalyptus, it's inexpensive and works amazing.

BE CAREFUL with lifting or anything crazy, you mayyy get joint and muscle pain. Just from bending my head over when brushing my teeth, my back is in pain when I come back up, but thats the side effect I get for being on such a crazy dosage.

Don't worry about people judging you going on Accutane for your acne, I have mild acne as well, where nothing has worked.

You may experience an IB right away, a month in, 4 months in, everyone is different, but remember: it will go away, and it will get better, but it may get worse before hand.

Treat yourself like you have the flu for 5-6 months, and baby yourself. Sleep a lot, take baths, relax, read, light some candles, and watch your favorite movies.

DON'T look in mirrors constantly, our skin is changing at a rapid pace, and your skin can look extremely different day to day, you just have to wait it out, and if it's worse one day, it will get better soon.

We're all in the same boat too, so if you need to vent and freak out and bitch: DO IT. You deserve to, this is a powerful drug, and can be a bitch to our bodies, but we will kick it's ass in the end :D If you need anyone to talk to just PM me or comment on my log, or your log, I'll be following you :)

Yay! Welcome to the forums! I think it's so great that you're making a log. I made one yesterday as well since I'm starting Monday. :) Yes, iPledge sucks but I'm glad it's saved babies, right?

Taylor's recommendations above are great. :) I would add to make some sort of daily relaxation ritual a part of your life. Whether it's light exercise, walks, listening to music alone, making yourself a fresh healthy meal, eating dark chocolate, going to a friend's house. Just do something nice for yourself every day. It helps me and eases any acne pain I may be having that day. :)

If you need a sunscreen recommendation, I like Boscia vital daily moisture spf 15, Cerave AM, Peter Thomas Roth spf 30 cream (not the lotion, which is less moisturizing), and Oil of Olay spf 15 sensitive skin.

Congrats! I just started a week ago so we'll be almost at the same place. I also have mild but annoyingly persistent acne, and I totally get friends/relatives thinking you're nuts for going on it, but no one knows how annoying persistent acne can be unless it's on your face. I'm also really scared about the IB- I haven't noticed anything except for slightly drier lips and skin but like I said, I'm only a week in. Good luck!

Wow thanks guys! i will definitely take all of your recommendations! i'm a little worried about being tired and muscle pain since i will be working and taking classes this summer, but i guess it will be worth it! :) i can't wait to actually start taking it!!

Welcome to the Accutane family & good luck! :) I was on Accutane 3 years ago for 3 months and I am on it again because I relapsed. I am in my second month, about halfway through.

The muscle pain hasn't been bad for me, and I have arthritis. I was expecting it to get worse, but I haven't noticed much of anything. But I know everyone is different & some people have awful muscle pain though. I'd recommend Clinique Superbalm for when your lips get chapped - it is SO amazing. With that & aquaphor, your lips will barely be chapped! :)

thanks! yeahh i will definitely be slathering on the lotion on my lips! haha i hate chapped lips so i'm gonna try to avoid it. my skin right now is not overly oily or dry, so i hope it doesn't get too dried out

DAY 0 haha

Soooooo I think i probably started my log a little early, but i'm just impatient cause i wanna start! haha but i've been reading everyones logs and its been really helpful and encouraging. i'm even more excited to start taking accutane. I have to go watch the accutane video at my doctors this week so it just means that i'm getting closer to starting!

The weirdest thing has happened though, since i first went to the derm like 2 weeks ago i haven't broken out at all. I'm not complaining, but it's a little ironic that my skin starts to clear up a little after i finally decide to go to the dermatologist! well i did get one pimple, but it;s on the side of my face where no one can see, so it doesnt count. I had wisdom teeth surgery this week so i didn't touch my face at all for like the past week, so maybe that helped cause i always obsess about my skin and it's hard not to touch. i also decided to remove all my blackheads that were ready to come out and it looks SOO much better.

But anywaysss i decided to post a picture of how i look now cause i took one when i was outside the other day.

OK NEVERMIND! i couldn't figure out how to add a picture haha sometimes technology annoys me!! i'll try to add it to my gallery or something or try to figure it out

AHH so i think maybe this worked?? hopefullyyyy

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/gallery/image/46140-photo-on-2012-05-20-at-1804/

I think maybe i had some tinted moisturizer on here, but i try not to put a lot of makeup on. It might not look like much acne but i want flawless skin and that's what accutane will give me!!

yeahhh so that's all i have to say since i haven't actually started taking accutane haha, but this is keeping me busy so i guess that's good. Also if you have any recommendations or comments i would still love to hear them!! smile.png

Edited by robynb

Hi, Robyn!

I haven't heard anything about mild acne clearing up faster, but that would definitely be nice, wouldn't it? I do think you'll be clear before September though. It seems the third month is the magical month because that's when most people seem to see clear skin. However, everyone is different!

I'm not sure if it's just me... But I actually can't see the photo you posted. I don't know why.

You have to watch a video at your derm's office? I remember a video being mentioned in my first set of iPledge questions, but I never had to watch it. When will you be getting your prescription?

Anyway. I wish you the best of luck on your course! Stay strong! You'll be clear in no time! :)

Guest *Spiro*

DAY 0 haha

Soooooo I think i probably started my log a little early, but i'm just impatient cause i wanna start! haha but i've been reading everyones logs and its been really helpful and encouraging. i'm even more excited to start taking accutane. I have to go watch the accutane video at my doctors this week so it just means that i'm getting closer to starting!

The weirdest thing has happened though, since i first went to the derm like 2 weeks ago i haven't broken out at all. I'm not complaining, but it's a little ironic that my skin starts to clear up a little after i finally decide to go to the dermatologist! well i did get one pimple, but it;s on the side of my face where no one can see, so it doesnt count. I had wisdom teeth surgery this week so i didn't touch my face at all for like the past week, so maybe that helped cause i always obsess about my skin and it's hard not to touch. i also decided to remove all my blackheads that were ready to come out and it looks SOO much better.

But anywaysss i decided to post a picture of how i look now cause i took one when i was outside the other day.

OK NEVERMIND! i couldn't figure out how to add a picture haha sometimes technology annoys me!! i'll try to add it to my gallery or something or try to figure it out

AHH so i think maybe this worked?? hopefullyyyy

I think maybe i had some tinted moisturizer on here, but i try not to put a lot of makeup on. It might not look like much acne but i want flawless skin and that's what accutane will give me!!

yeahhh so that's all i have to say since i haven't actually started taking accutane haha, but this is keeping me busy so i guess that's good. Also if you have any recommendations or comments i would still love to hear them!! smile.png

My face did the same thing, once I made up my mind to go on accutane I think I scared my face and it bucked up and started to clear up. Not the case anymore though. That are back and fighting with a vengeance.

What date do you start your course?

I never watched a video either... probably because I was just like, "Dude, I'm too old for this shit, just give me the damn meds." My derm also told me to not share my pills and then followed up with "Well, nevermind, we only tell that to the high school kids."

Guest *Spiro*

My derm told me to lie and say I watched the video lol. I wonder what it's about? More lame sex Ed classes? Gee I hope so

My derm told me to lie and say I watched the video lol. I wonder what it's about? More lame sex Ed classes? Gee I hope so

Lie on the iPledge questions? That's terrible! :P I actually answered that I hadn't seen the video. It didn't make a difference. I think there was something else it asked about that I didn't get either. The only thing I got was the book for females that can get pregnant that has the forms and the iPledge card in it. I didn't get anything else.

My pharmacy doesn't even ask for my iPledge card. I thought I was supposed to show them that... Oh well.

Guest *Spiro*

Lie on the iPledge questions? That's terrible! :P I actually answered that I hadn't seen the video. It didn't make a difference. I think there was something else it asked about that I didn't get either. The only thing I got was the book for females that can get pregnant that has the forms and the iPledge card in it. I didn't get anything else.

My pharmacy doesn't even ask for my iPledge card. I thought I was supposed to show them that... Oh well.

Ipledge didn't even ask me about a video anyways. So I didn't need to lie. Lol. Cvs called me last week and asked me what my ipledge number is. But I've had it filled 2 times before that and they never needed it. Weird.

The annoying part for me was persuading my derm to prescribe it for me. Every time I went to her office my skin was on its best behaviour. But once I persuaded her, I needed only sign a waiver, and before I knew it I was Accutaning.

Anyways, good luck! I am also taking tane for mild acne. The oil is more of a problem for me.

My pharmacy asks me for my iPledge card and number like 3075702 times. I don't think they're allowed to store that kind of personal information, but I'm not sure. Either way...annnoooyyyinngggg.

Also, I couldn't see your photo robyn.

Hey everyone! so i watched the accutane video at the dr today, waste of my time!! it was so bad like from the 90's, but my favorite part was when this girl said "i thought i was being abstinent, but then i got pregnant" hahah like what you didnt know you were having sex?

But anywayss i will be starting accutane in about 2 weeks yay!! taking 40 mg/day for 4 months. my doctor told me that moisterizing is important but i can literally put anyyy kind of lotion on my face, even vaseline, because accutane will take care of it. I was like uhhh no thanks i'll stick with the gentle moisturizers hah.

also. when do you have to start the online ipledge stuff online?? is it not until you start taking it because my dr. never mentioned it?

So i can't figure out the picture thing still and i've seen it on a lot of other logs so if anyone know then let me know thanks!

i know i can hit reply to everyone but that gets really long so i'm just gonna type it here...

Beautifuldisasters

- I'm worried about it getting worse but even if it does i know it will get better eventually! but right now i just have some hyperpigmentation so i don't think there's much lurking under my skin but who knows? haha

Thanks Jonesbev i know sunscreen will be very impportant especially living in the south. but it is tempting to spend the whole day at the beach or by the pool. oh well i guess i'll be slathering on the sunscreen and covering up!

droidone

- I know. i was worried that my derm wouldn't prescribe but he said he was glad that we caught it in the early stages so i didn't have to suffer for longer :)

ginanutrition

- ahh that's annoying! i'm afraid that i'll lose it cause i have a habit of doing that kind of thing. i should probably like laminate it and keep it in my wallet cause it's really important! haha and i'm working on the picture lol

You must be so excited to be starting soon, Robyn!

I'm also taking 40mg a day for four months, although I'm hoping to extend my course by at least one month so I can reach my cumulative dose. My derm doesn't think the cumulative dose is important, which kind of bugs me. Hopefully I can convince him otherwise!

Vaseline all over the face sounds gross! Definitely make sure you stock up on some good moisturizers! Have you gotten anything yet in preparation?

You won't need to do anything with iPledge until you see your derm next. The day I went to my derm's office to get my prescription, his office sent all the information to my pharmacy. I went home and answered questions on the iPledge website and picked up my prescription that same day. That's really all there is to it!

Regarding your photo... I just upload mine into my post. It looks like you put your photo in an album and perhaps you made the album private or something? I'm not sure. I don't know how all that works. It just says we don't have permission to see the photo.

Hey everyone! so i watched the accutane video at the dr today, waste of my time!! it was so bad like from the 90's, but my favorite part was when this girl said "i thought i was being abstinent, but then i got pregnant" hahah like what you didnt know you were having sex?

But anywayss i will be starting accutane in about 2 weeks yay!! taking 40 mg/day for 4 months. my doctor told me that moisterizing is important but i can literally put anyyy kind of lotion on my face, even vaseline, because accutane will take care of it. I was like uhhh no thanks i'll stick with the gentle moisturizers hah.

also. when do you have to start the online ipledge stuff online?? is it not until you start taking it because my dr. never mentioned it?

So i can't figure out the picture thing still and i've seen it on a lot of other logs so if anyone know then let me know thanks!

i know i can hit reply to everyone but that gets really long so i'm just gonna type it here...

Beautifuldisasters

- I'm worried about it getting worse but even if it does i know it will get better eventually! but right now i just have some hyperpigmentation so i don't think there's much lurking under my skin but who knows? haha

Thanks Jonesbev i know sunscreen will be very impportant especially living in the south. but it is tempting to spend the whole day at the beach or by the pool. oh well i guess i'll be slathering on the sunscreen and covering up!

droidone

- I know. i was worried that my derm wouldn't prescribe but he said he was glad that we caught it in the early stages so i didn't have to suffer for longer smile.png

ginanutrition

- ahh that's annoying! i'm afraid that i'll lose it cause i have a habit of doing that kind of thing. i should probably like laminate it and keep it in my wallet cause it's really important! haha and i'm working on the picture lol

Congrats!!! Yeah, my derm told me the same thing about being able to put anything on my face...and it's true so far. I used a rich night cream the other night and NO breakouts. In fact, it helped with the flakes. My morning moisturizer has small amounts of olive oil and rice bran oil as well, and that's been helping. Oil-free stuff doesn't necessarily seem to work as well on accutane, but that's just my experience.

Sucks you have to wait 2 weeks, but I feel ya! I had to wait like 5-6 weeks total with all the iPledge nonsense.

Guest *Spiro*

When you were at the dermatologist did they have you fill out a sheet in the Big ol ipledge book?

Edited by BeautifulDisasters

sooo i haven't been on here in a while cause i've been super busy and the stupid tropical storm came through and the power was out. but now i finally have internet again!

you guys have been really helpful! i figured out the ipledge thing. i forgot that something had been mailed to me, so i went online and registered and everything. I have my appt for counseling with my doctor next wed. but i already have birth control so they just have to sign the paperwork. And then i can get my pregnancy test next friday and get my prescription when the results come back! i'm a little worried that theres only 2 days between meeting with my dr. and my pregnancy test because the derm had to receive the paperwork from my doctor then approve it so i hope that everything can be faxed quickly! but i guess i will see how everything goes.

DAY 20 !

i haven't been on here in a while, but i wanted to document my accutane journey still! idk if anyone will even be reading this, but i dont care cause i just wanted to see how my skin changes and everything.

so far, it's been really good. No IB really. hopefully it stays that way :) my skin is dry, but nothing a little moisturizer can't fix. Same with my lips nothing too bad.

My skin is sooo soft though! i'm so happy that its working so quickly. one cheek is clear with some redness and the other cheek has 2 actives. chin and forehead are clear too yay!

some side effects: dry skin obviouslyyy! , but the weird thing is that i have some stomach aches sometimes that i think is caused by accutane. i know accutane is absorbed by fat, but i have a very low fat diet so i think that might be the problem?, also i'm really sensitive to sunlight, like i wanna wear sunglasses inside sometimes !cool.png

welll anyway, im excited with everything thats happening and i'm looking forward to clear skin! :)

Glad to hear that your acne is clearing up quickly for you, and that you are not suffering from to many side effects.

By the sounds of it you'll be clear in no time :). Good luck with your treatment