Notifications
Clear all

Help! How Do You Reduce A Scab?

MemberMember
(@emma_86)

Posted : 05/11/2012 1:34 pm

Hi everyone,

I recently stupidly picked at a spot on my chin, and it has now left a big scab, looks like I fell down and grazed my chin! My sister's engagement party is in three weeks and I want to help minimise it by then, as make-up doesn't cover it all that well. I've just been keeping it clean and mosturising it to help with the roughness of it.

Any ideas on remedies that will help the inflamation/redness to go down and to just help it heal quicker than normal? Red is the hardest colour to conceal under make-up a light pink would be a lot easier :)

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Emma.

MemberMember
(@acneopia)

Posted : 05/11/2012 3:10 pm

Is it inflamed or just a scab? One thing you could try that sometimes gives me immediate results is Aloe Vera (100% is best).

MemberMember
(@emma_86)

Posted : 05/11/2012 3:23 pm

Is it inflamed or just a scab? One thing you could try that sometimes gives me immediate results is Aloe Vera (100% is best).

It feels a little bit raised and a bit painful when I push it, but it's a lot less red and inflammed than it was. It started out as one of those big spots under the skin and I foolishly picked it! Urghhh... so stupid! Anyway it is now a full on brown scab that I'm NOT going to pick! I have enough scars and although I'm sure this will leave one more I don't want to make it worse.

Does the aloe help heal or just give added moisture? I'll try it anyway thanks. :)

MemberMember
(@savedbygrace1)

Posted : 05/11/2012 3:55 pm

It feels a little bit raised and a bit painful when I push it, but it's a lot less red and inflammed than it was. It started out as one of those big spots under the skin and I foolishly picked it! Urghhh... so stupid! Anyway it is now a full on brown scab that I'm NOT going to pick! I have enough scars and although I'm sure this will leave one more I don't want to make it worse.

Does the aloe help heal or just give added moisture? I'll try it anyway thanks. smile.png

I love coconut oil for everything!

MemberMember
(@acneopia)

Posted : 05/11/2012 3:59 pm

Does the aloe help heal or just give added moisture? I'll try it anyway thanks. smile.png

I love coconut oil for everything!

Coconut oil is comedogenic...

MemberMember
(@ceebee25)

Posted : 05/11/2012 6:11 pm

I'm in the exact same position right now! I overpicked a big zit which was under the skin on Wednesday and its currently a scab.. some of it has flaked off a little but I'm trying SO hard to distract myself from picking it/looking at it so it can heal!

I used to get myself into these situations A LOT (I'm a slowly recovering obsessive picker!) so I know how to deal with them quite well. Here's what I find really helps:

1. After gently washing the scab in the evening, lightly pat dry with towel.

2. Apply some tea tree oil or apple cider vinegar (both work really well) to a cotton ball and gently dab onto the scab for a few minutes. Both of these products have antiseptic qualities which will keep the scab clean and prevent infection

3. Let it air dry, and then apply a layer of a good, natural aloe vera gel. The one I have is 99% aloe and it forms a clear barrier over the scab when it dries and helps it to heal so quickly while keeping it hydrated to avoid painful cracking. Aloe vera is amazing for healing!

4. After the aloe has dried completely, apply a thin layer of antiseptic healing cream (something like Sudocrem or Savlon) over the scab and cover with a plaster/band aid. This keeps the products on the scab and helps resist the urge to pick/stare at it. Plus, Sudocrem is amazing at reducing redness and pigmentation. I continue to apply it even after the scab has gone as it fades pink/red marks really quick :) If you do this every night you will notice quick improvements!

MemberMember
(@nightlilly89)

Posted : 05/11/2012 6:46 pm

best thing to do is don't look at it, don't touch the scab, wash your face minimally so the wetness doesn't ruin the scab. in a few days itll look ugly, but then soon fall off nicely. if you pick it now, to make th scab look "nicer" you will set yourself up for scarring which lasts years.

MemberMember
(@emma_86)

Posted : 05/12/2012 10:48 am

Thanks for all the replies will, put all into action! Hopefully it'll get better soon. :)

I'm in the exact same position right now! I overpicked a big zit which was under the skin on Wednesday and its currently a scab.. some of it has flaked off a little but I'm trying SO hard to distract myself from picking it/looking at it so it can heal!

I used to get myself into these situations A LOT (I'm a slowly recovering obsessive picker!) so I know how to deal with them quite well. Here's what I find really helps:

1. After gently washing the scab in the evening, lightly pat dry with towel.

2. Apply some tea tree oil or apple cider vinegar (both work really well) to a cotton ball and gently dab onto the scab for a few minutes. Both of these products have antiseptic qualities which will keep the scab clean and prevent infection

3. Let it air dry, and then apply a layer of a good, natural aloe vera gel. The one I have is 99% aloe and it forms a clear barrier over the scab when it dries and helps it to heal so quickly while keeping it hydrated to avoid painful cracking. Aloe vera is amazing for healing!

4. After the aloe has dried completely, apply a thin layer of antiseptic healing cream (something like Sudocrem or Savlon) over the scab and cover with a plaster/band aid. This keeps the products on the scab and helps resist the urge to pick/stare at it. Plus, Sudocrem is amazing at reducing redness and pigmentation. I continue to apply it even after the scab has gone as it fades pink/red marks really quick smile.png If you do this every night you will notice quick improvements!

Really good tips. I too am a recovering picker! Thanks again. Everyone here is always so nice. :)

MemberMember
(@ceebee25)

Posted : 05/13/2012 4:33 am

No problem :) how is your scab today? Mine is healing quite nicely, just need to continue resisting the urge to pick!

MemberMember
(@sidneysmith101)

Posted : 10/20/2012 4:44 am

*PICKING* is there anyone on here that can help me or point me in the right direction of how to stop picking my spots. I actually feel a bit ridiculous at the moment. Reading some of these posts made me realise I'm not alone in this. How did you recover from the addiction of constantly picking pimples? Any help greatly appreciated.

Sidney

MemberMember
(@sam)

Posted : 10/20/2012 7:24 am

I would use a water based moisturizer to get rid of a dried scab.Studies have been proven that to moisturize scabs/scars will improve the healing process by as much as 50%.Also Vitamin C is good for skin healing,2000mg per day is recommended.

I cannot find it at the mo but look at "George D winter 1962 moist wound healing" study.